Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Update from Houston

Some of what has been reported has been on video so I'm sure it's not made up.  Stranded abandoned dog on top of a car.  Policemen herding cows away from the water.  People using boats to rescue people.  It's more than we can comprehend, it doesn't seem real.  We see the devastation, homes ruined.  On the news last night they had someone telling how to deal with a flooded home.  They said it had to be done within 24 hours.  ??! !  Can you imagine trying to get a hold of a licensed electrician and contractors 24 hours after a mass catastrophe like that?  Time is of the essence because of mold, etc. setting in.  In the same breath they said to make sure electricity is shut off, they said to run fans on your house.  ???  You take your ruined articles, furniture, outside but you can't get rid of them until the insurance company has viewed them.  The last time I contacted my insurance about a storm's damages, it took them a month to come out and take pictures!  None of this is easy or simple and some of the instructions are conflicting.  My heart goes out to these people.  I think I'd be tempted to leave it all there and flee to another state and stay with relatives, look for work, etc.  Except I have nowhere to flee to.  Not easy with a huge dog and elderly cat.  The reality of this situation is daunting.

Maryann, I'm so glad your home is okay, you and your dogs are okay, you still have a paycheck coming in and your job will be there to return to!

Thanks Kevin.  Now I'm a little more educated and I appreciate your help.

Depression and anxiety get the best of me during these times of devastation and I get quite overwhelmed with all the constant images showing the destruction.  My brain doesn't process the information in a way that I can think clearly sometimes.  The imagery brings me to where I think that this whole world is a mess and that I need to escape it.  With my husband already gone the temptation to join him is strong.  I am not at risk, I know how to help myself and I will do what it takes to reassure myself that stuff ain't that bad, especially for me.

I try not to watch the TV or see what is on Facebook as it is not possible to filter out just the 'bad' images.  I'm thankful to hear the news from Maryanne and others on here as the filter is set just right.

Take care all.

KayC, I saw some of the pictures of Tons and Tons of furniture outside on lawns....I thought they were airing the house out but they said water contamination.(it was now garbage).... The water is basically raw sewage(diluted but infected)......All fabrics/carpets/couches/wallboards/drywall........This is a five year rebuild.......Amazing the  loss of life is as low as it is.........As mentioned yesterday by KayC, the danger will be infection from the standing water......chlorine/bleach will be our best friend now...kevin

18 hours ago, Widowedbysuicide said:

I try not to watch the TV or see what is on Facebook as it is not possible to filter out just the 'bad' images.

They haven't been showing only devastation, but the thing that hits me out of all this, it's really poignant, is humanity's best is being displayed.  Seeing a policeman herding cattle away from the water.  People throwing a birthday party for a little boy.  A child calling and singing happy birthday to his daddy.. who is a policeman that is working around the clock.  The tons of people coming with monster trucks, boats to save people from their homes.  People sharing food, clothing, everything.  My best friend lives in TX.  Her house is on a hill so she's not flooded, but she's offered a place to stay to any who need it.  

• Like 1

Yes, Kay. I think we get a very distorted picture from sensationalized reports on commercialized television. Ours is basically a compassionate and generous country, and as a people, we are at our best when others are in trouble and hurting. I wish reporters would share more heartwarming stories like these.  

• Like 2

I went in to volunteer at work for a bit...they are collecting and dispersing all sorts of supplies for people in need. I went to see some of my co-workers and colleagues. There were so many people there and so much going on it was a little overwhelming. I know there will be other chances to help. I do better in situations behind the scenes. I still have a difficult time being around a lot of people at once. 

• Like 4