Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I've now had a number of "firsts" without Susan.  Wedding anniversary, Susan's birthday, sailing season, visiting several favorite places, doing the crossword puzzle, etc. Now tomorrow is my first birthday without her, at least first in 48 years. We didn't make a big deal about it but there would always be a sweet note on a card, probably with a 🐼 somewhere on it, and a pastry with a candle. This would be very sad but my amazing brother is having a birthday party for me. He has been a big part of surviving this disaster, which will make me cry at some point. I'm bringing some of Susan's jewelery as presents for the ladies and a role reversal. Will be very emotional but a lot better than home alone. Hope I can focus on the fact that I am loved, as opposed to thinking this is just poor substitute for being with Susan. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad to know that your amazing brother is doing this for you, Tom, and I hope that as your family and friends acknowledge your birthday, you can feel the love they have for you.

What a lovely idea to use your birthday celebration as an opportunity to present some of Susan's jewelry as gifts to those who knew and loved her too ~ it's a beautiful way to pay tribute to your beloved, and to keep her memory alive.  

• Like 4

Yes Tom that first year birthday is tough. I would never have made it if not for my family and since it was also Christmas which was so important to Kathy and I that I got through the whole season. (lot of tears but I got through it.) Sometimes we have to lean on others to survive.

And that's just okay.

Happy birthday.....just the same.

• Like 2

Tom,

I was gone all day yesterday and am just now reading this...I hope it all went well for you and I'm glad you have people that love you and spent time with you.  What a lovely idea you had!  Happy Birthday!

My first birthday without George was terrible, even though around people at work and then church, no one remembered my birthday or called and said Happy Birthday to me.  That in itself would have probably been okay except it was such a stark change from spending them with George, who always made a big deal of them.  I cried myself to sleep, missing him...