Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My dog killed my guinea pigs

Jennifer2468

I am just devastated today. Yesterday morning I came downstairs to find my guinea pigs cage and it's content were strewn all over the floor. I ran down in hopes of finding them cowering somewhere, but they were laid out next to the stairs. I was sick the evening before, and had taken a Nyquil, so my husband had let Jack out and then allowed him back in the house. He didn't want to put him in our room because he wanted me to get as much sleep as I could.

I am so sad and angry, but truly don't think Jack wanted to harm the guineas. They had no puncture wounds or damage. However I can not give blame to any one except myself. I am devastated that I didn't protect them. I feel like I lost my guineas and my dog. 

Sometimes dogs just want to play with something and don't realize their own strength.  You aren't getting rid of the dog are you?

I'm sorry for your loss.  Guilt is part of grief, not that we earn or deserve it, it's just part of it.  I hope you'll read these articles, I've found them to be of help.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf 

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

I am keeping Jack. He is around a year old, and very playful. When I adopted him, his previous family said he was 3, but I truly believe is is much younger. I have been working with him, and he us very smart, but easily distracted. 

I couldn't abandon him anymore than I could my husband, who carelessly allowed a dog and guineas to be alone together, which is something I would have never done. He has told me that if I choose to get more guineas he will asllow me to keep them in our room, which is something he was opposed to in the past. I loved my girls so much, but I am afraid to risk bringing more into my home at this time.

Your vetinarian should be able to tell his age from his teeth.  They stay playful for a long time.  When my dog was a year old, the vet said he'd have four more years of growth, and he chewed on things for another year.  

That first year Arlie chewed up 100 handmade cards, my favorite dress, countless pairs of shoes and slippers, 3 MP3 players, a dream catcher that was near the ceiling (have no idea how he got to that), a hand carved candle from Spain, the trim on the front of my house, the opening to his dog house, harness, all his toys, his drinking bucket, a couple of dog beds, my mattress, my dining room set, the rocking chair, a book "Boundaries", whose irony did not escape me.  He cost me a fortune!  But he is by far more than worth it all, he's been a joy to me and worth everything time and again!

• Upvote 1