Grief Healing Discussion Groups

2nd Anniversary almost upon me---YUCK!!!

Greetings to all my friends here. I hope everyone is well (or at least better than you thought possible). I haven't been around for awhile. No reason for it, other than just trying to find different ways to cope for awhile. When I happened upon this group and joined (on Xmas eve of last year) I was living in League City, Texas, which is midway between Houston and Galveston island. I moved to a small town in Oklahoma on Sept. 9th to live near a twin sister who I hadn't seen in a number of years. I was one of the victims of Hurricane Harvey. As a result of Harvey's flooding, I lost the biggest part of my belongings. Everything that touched the floor or was within about 12 inches of the floor was destroyed. It sure made the move easier and cheaper. About all that traveled up here with me was my clothes, 2 TV's, my  computers, and a few odds & ends. So once again, life starts over.

The second year of my wife's passing is almost upon me. I had to take her off of life support and let her go on New Year's Day of last year. Just to make it easier on my sister and the few new acquaintances that I'm around now I am trying to maintain a facade of a good holiday spirit. But because my dear wife was going through that struggle of dying over the Christmas holidays of 2015, this holiday time will never be that for me. Christmas and New Year's Day are just 2 more days to put behind me as I continue to put one foot in front of the other.

I have had opportunities presented to me to have a new "mate".  Several women in the past 2 years have let it be known that they were interested in me. A couple of them were subtle about it, but just as many weren't so subtle. But the interest just will never be there in me for that to happen. It isn't because I'm afraid to experience the hurt again, or anything like that. I just don't feel like it would be fair to me or the other person to even attempt it. How could I possibly expect to be able to duplicate perfection?! My wife was human, and she did have imperfections. But in spite of that, to me and for me she was absolutely perfect. And God allowed us to spend 41+ years together before He agreed that she had experienced enough pain, misery, and suffering. I will be with her again one of these days. I have no doubts of that whatsoever. I just don't know when. Do any of us?

To all my friends here I wish you all happiness and good health during this holiday season, and the upcoming new year that is right around the corner, as I continue to put...

One foot in front of the other.

Darrel

Dear Darrel, it's so nice to hear from you again! You can't imagine how many times your famous line, "one foot in front of the other," has been quoted by our members! It's such a perfect way to describe how we all manage to walk this path we're all on, no matter how far we've come, or how far we have to go, or how quickly or how slowly we go.

I'm so sorry to learn that you were touched so hard by Hurricane Harvey. Thank Heaven you're safe and sound, although I'm sure this horrible experience of losing the biggest part of your personal belongings represented yet another major loss for you. Having narrowly escaped Irma here in Florida, I have some idea of the fear and devastation such a storm can cause ~ including the frantic preparation and anxiety we experience just waiting for it to hit and the exhausting work of cleaning up the destruction it has left behind.

I wish for you exactly what you've wished for all of us: good health and happiness ~ and I hope you can feel the warmth and love we feel for you, as we all wrap you in a virtual "welcome home" hug. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Darrel, it was good to hear how you are doing now.  It is hard to pretend to be happy when your not, but maybe some time or the other, maybe a little of the happiness will rub off on you too, until then we will just "put one foot in front of the other."  Check back in ever so often when you get a chance.  

• Like 2

Marty & Marg...

Thanks to both of you for your comments. They are most assuredly appreciated. I do believe I've had my fill for this lifetime of the Texas (or any other) coastline. My wife & I made 2 attempts at living in the Houston area. Once in 1983 when Hurricane Alicia wreaked her havoc. And then Harvey this year. I can honestly report that there won't be a third attempt. I lived in Oklahoma the biggest part of my life, and never even once saw a tornado. That could happen tomorrow, but I know what to look for in the clouds so I expect I'll trust my instincts and stay right here in the middle of flyover country. I like the odds better here in Okie-ville! All my best to one and all.

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

Did I hear somebody say "BOOMER SOONER"?

Darrel,

It's good to hear from you!  I'm sure it was good to see your twin sister again.  I didn't realize you were in Harvey's path, that had to be hard.

I hear what you say, I feel my relationship with George was perfect, even though neither of us were, we were to each other!  I wish you luck in OK!

• Like 1