Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Merry Christmas To My Family Here

Here's hoping that everyone is able to find some peace of mind and maybe even some happiness today.  This time of year is fiercely hard on me, after having to give up my bride of 41+ years at this time of year. We used to enjoy our Christmases together. Even when I was away from home so much as a long haul trucker there were 2 times of the year I made sure I was home for EVERY year...our anniversary in March and Christmas. Dispatchers didn't always make it easy. I had to throw some good, old fashioned tantrums more than once,  Now Christmas and New Year's Day are just 2 more days on the calendar to muddle through.

My wife left the following poem for me to see after she passed, in a journal that I didn't even know that she had been keeping until after she was gone.

DO NOT STAND AT MY GRAVE AND WEEP

I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow;

I am the diamond that glints on the snow,

I am the sunlight on ripened grain;

I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,

I am the swift uplifting rush

of quiet birds in circled flight,

I am the soft star that shines at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,

I am not there;

I did not die.

When someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure. Thank you for all the wonderful memories to sustain me now, my sweet delightful wife.

Peace and happiness my friends.

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

My sister bought me that poem, framed, after George died, I've had it up on my wall ever since.  Your wife was looking after you, even then.

• Like 1

I don't know who or when that poem was written, but it sure is sweet and it sure was sweet of her to include it in her journal. I gotta tell ya that this tough, macho retired truck driver ended up with a big ole lump in my throat when it read it. Have a good'un Kay.

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

"Ascension" 1987 Colleen Hitchcock

Oops, sorry!