Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Has anyone had anything 'strange' happen in your house since your spouse passed?

I think most of us have some things to share that were important to us yet unexplainable.  My sister's neighbor, Gordon, shared how after his wife died, he was at a loss trying to figure out how to do things as all he'd done is work, she's taken care of the house, cooking, laundry, paying bills...and he couldn't find the checkbook.  He didn't know you could get emergency checks printed at the bank and he was getting frantic, he'd looked everywhere.  He said she finally told him, in his mind, where the checkbook was, and he went right to it!  Those things are the ways they help us when we so need it!

• Like 2

Tom, it breaks my heart for you, seeing that picture. I can just feel how pleasant it was to sit on the boat in the sunshine, feeling the wind and the clanging of the rigging.  When I walk past a flag pole and hear the thing that pulls it up hitting the pole it makes me think of sailing. We sold our boat, we didn't get to use it much because he was always working out of state. I remember that I stood at the wheel, it seemed I could sail better if my feet were in the floor. Maybe there will be sailboats in heaven. And lots of wind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, martha jane said:

Tom, it breaks my heart for you, seeing that picture. I can just feel how pleasant it was to sit on the boat in the sunshine, feeling the wind and the clanging of the rigging.  When I walk past a flag pole and hear the thing that pulls it up hitting the pole it makes me think of sailing. We sold our boat, we didn't get to use it much because he was always working out of state. I remember that I stood at the wheel, it seemed I could sail better if my feet were in the floor. Maybe there will be sailboats in heaven. And lots of wind.

I think of all the procedures we had learned, developed and agreed on, so we barely had to talk to handle any operation. All the local knowledge of the harbors, the landmarks and waypoints on our favorite routes. The joking around: Susan NEVER brought out the boathook without pretending to hit me with it. Susan didn't like to use the radio, so I'd always ask her to call the marina etc, knowing I'd end up doing it. Susan wanted to reef in any strong wind, so if we were going out on a windy day I'd say looks like no need to reef today and wait for her to scream. The constant silly jokes are another hard thing to lose.

Yes, let's hope for sailing and good wind in the next life!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartyT said:

If you want to delete a post, simply click on the "Options" button at the base of your post, where you'll find "delete" as one of the options. (I've taken care of that for you in this instance.)

Marty, I'm not trying to delete anything now, but I don't see an "Options" button.

Hmmm. Thanks for letting me know, Tom. At the base of the posts I see on my screen, I see four "buttons": one to "multiQuote," one to "Quote," one to "Edit," and one with "Options" ~ with a down arrow, so you can opt to Hide, Split or Delete a post. Maybe those buttons appear only on my screen.

I'd appreciate it if other members could let me know whether or not that button appears on their screens as well.

The only thing I have been able to do is backspace or highlight and delete what I have written to not post it.  If it has been posted, all I can do is edit.  I could blank everything out, but it would show a post.  Since you are admin, Marty, I am guessing you have much more power over things.  

49 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

The only thing I have been able to do is backspace or highlight and delete what I have written to not post it

I know how to edit, I do it all the time, don't know how to completely delete.  If I go back and read though, I would probably find a lot I wanted to delete.  I won't go  back.  I can't go back.

All we can do is click "edit" on our post, select and delete what we want to, and save.  It won't let us delete an entire post, but so long as you leave a period it will suffice.

Tom,

As many candles as I've lit, I've never seen that happen...I would take that as a sign!

23 hours ago, TomPB said:

Multiquote, quote, edit, no options5ab7fa8722a0d_ScreenShot2018-03-25at3_36_06PM.thumb.png.73888d4512252e0214e9d499f10481a0.png

Tom,

when you enter your post,then you can modify or delete what you need.I do it many times and even without adding a reason when I want to change something inside.

Hugs from Janka

Tom, 

Well, as a practical person, maybe the glass got too hot and cracked. Looking at that from a spiritual side, I'd say it was a God Wink, especially since you had asked a specific question. My Rick has been at it, too.  His daughter in the UK asked me if the number 7:02 meant anything. I told her no, not that I know of. She had just purchased a new digital clock, and 2 days after she plugged it in, it's been stuck at 7:02, and she can unplug it for an entire day, and when she plugs it back in, it's still at 7:02. Then today, one of 2 co-workers that I confide in came back from her mom's funeral in Michigan. She knew Rick, and he had emailed her a few times in the past year, telling her how grateful he was that she was a support system for me at work. When I told her this morning about his daughter's clock being stuck at 7:02, her eyes opened wide, and then she started to cry. She said that last night, she kept hearing a beeping noise in her nightstand drawer, which is where she kept a battery operated clock for emergencies. She took it out, and the alarm was in the off position.......and the time was 7:02.  She replaced the batteries, re-set the time and put it back in the drawer. This morning when she was getting ready to come to work, it beeped again, and she looked at it.....once again, 7:02.

Cheeky Rick!

On ‎25‎.‎3‎.‎2018 at 8:51 PM, TomPB said:

I think of all the procedures we had learned, developed and agreed on, so we barely had to talk to handle any operation. All the local knowledge of the harbors, the landmarks and waypoints on our favorite routes. The joking around: Susan NEVER brought out the boathook without pretending to hit me with it. Susan didn't like to use the radio, so I'd always ask her to call the marina etc, knowing I'd end up doing it. Susan wanted to reef in any strong wind, so if we were going out on a windy day I'd say looks like no need to reef today and wait for her to scream. The constant silly jokes are another hard thing to lose.

Yes, let's hope for sailing and good wind in the next life!

Dear Tom,

I´m a Christian Catholic,but reading many books about this topic by Raymond A. Moody,who has been dealing with things like that,I must say that many people,who experienced NDE (near death experiences),said they saw a beautiful place which they took for heaven and did notice the same things as we have here (not physical,of course),however such similar shapes and more shining colours,including trees and rivers too,so it´s not out of question at all.Good to know...

Zmurknutie.gif.6be6628baeee7cac5a18cb0404b03075.gif

Hugs from Janka

Shoosie, good story. I'm a practical person and a skeptic, tho my counselor says I've been "cracked open" now. I had noticed that the flame was going off to the side instead of straight up as usual, so it must have heated the holder - but why did it go off to the side? I'll take it. 

Janka, I haven't read the Moody books but they are mentioned in the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying which I am reading. I have a friend who hd a NDE and he describes the beautiful place. the white light, and I think I remember no more worries. So yeah, maybe there is an unseen world, with Susan waiting for me.  ❤️🐼 

• Like 2

All I could find was Into The.Night:Portraits of Life and Death.  Hope it is the show you are talking about, Shoosie.  Looks to be only 30 minutes which seems a bit short for the topic.  This is on PBS.

• Like 1

Rats, I'm getting this info too late, that would have been interesting to watch.  

Ok, strange things.  I seem to be on the opposite end.  I don’t look at them as signs, but really bad timing as much is in grief.  I had moved my/our mail to my house from our PO Box.  Not really a surprise the box is now empty except for junk mail, but I couldn’t get rid of it as it hurt too much.  So I go daily and open and empty box.  It hurts, but I want to keep, for now, that 20 year beginning of my day.  Only had 2 plants.  One died last year and now the other.  I wouldn’t say they were miracle plants or anything, but ones we had for years and lived and I am not good at that stuff.  But it is odd them being gone.  They had meaning as they grew with me taking care of them.  I miss seeing them.   It’s the symbolism, I guess.  Put inanimate things in thier place.  I may break down and try and find a potted plant, no doing it myself for what is needed, just to have something in the kitchen window alive.  I have dogs and birds, but it always depresses me at lunch and dinner those being gone.  Geez, plants!  I never would have expected them to depress me!  It’s like every little change without him is magnified.  This is where I cuss out grief and can’t post my most colorful words.  🤐

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 9:34 PM, TomPB said:

Just did my nightly meditation. I have a lighted candle in a low glass holder. Near the end  I’m asking if we’ll really be together again and the candle holder breaks in two with a sharp sound. Scared me. 

Tom, I will be thinking of you tomorrow on the anniversary of Susan's death. 

• Like 2