Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A scary moment in time

This will be a bit of a novel but hopefully an interesting read...

Yesterday was Easter of course and it just wasn't the same without Tammy. Nothing is. It also was a day that something very frightening happened. But first a little background.

I live in a townhouse. Basically a house connected to many other houses. It's sort of like living in a 3 story apartment that you own because you have neighbors on the left and right of your outer walls. And often, you're at their mercy depending on the type of neighbor they are.

I've lived here for 30 years. For a long time everyone here owned their own home. But in the past 10 years some of the homes have become rentals and unfortunately one of those homes is next door to me. Let's call that the house from Hell or maybe the house of horrors.

Keep reading for all the gory details...

The first renter moved in next to us maybe 5 years ago. And they were horrible and inconsiderate. For all I know, they may have even been vampires because all their loud noise and activity was after dark. It was unnerving living next to them. And it affected Tammy deeply. She was homebound and mostly bedridden and she just couldn't relax with their random thumps and bumps. It often sounded like they were taking a sledgehammer to the wall. A part of me knows these terrible people contributed to Tammy's emotional stress. And that angers me. One night, the adults in that family encouraged their kids to throw icy snowballs at my house. My daughter Katie and I watched the madness in disbelief from her bedroom window.

As it turned out, when they were finally evicted a couple years ago, the landlord told me they did over $20,000 in damage to that house. They even knocked kitchen cabinets off the wall. How is that even possible? For lack of better words, they were monsters.

The next renters weren't as bad but they weren't exactly friendly and they enjoyed throwing trash in my yard. But enough about them.

Let's get to it and talk about my current next door neighbors and the frightening event of yesterday.

The only way to describe them is to say an unlimited amount of people live there. There is a constant flow of different families and individuals there. It appears to be some sort of safe house or drug house. They scream at the top of their lungs and argue often. They litter. And often, live music and heavy, thumping bass pound my walls, well past midnight. The police have been called to that house multiple times for domestic incidents. You get the picture. My life alone with Tammy is hard. I need neighbors like this like I need a hole in my head.

Easter Sunday. Around 4:30 PM. I hear a male voice screaming at the top of his lungs. He's next door on the backyard deck. I figured it was just another day with the neighbors from hell. In the distance, I hear a siren. What's new, right? The police have been called in... here we go again. And honestly,  that would have been better than what transpired.

Oh, it was sirens alright. Not police sirens though. It was the entire areas fire, ambulance and police departments arriving at the scene. My guess is at least 10 fire trucks, 5 ambulances and several police cars. The main road leading to my house was cordoned off. I see a crowd starting to gather and I throw some clothes on and go outside. And then I smell it.

The overwhelming smell of a house on fire. Yes, my next door neighbors house is on fire. Heavy black smoke billowing out of both upstairs windows. Keep in mind our houses are connected and I'm worried about my house being damaged. Seeing those dozens of firefighters with axes in their hands pointing to my house has me scared $hitless. 

I find out from one of the fireman that the blaze appeared to have started in their basement yet smoke is billowing out of the third floor. This is bad. We're all in shock watching this unfold. And then they bring out a victim of the fire. She appears to be OK but belligerent. She's fighting with the EMT crew as they try to put her on the stretcher.

About an hour later, the smoke stops spewing out and things calm down. Firemen go in my house to check on it. The air levels seem fine and they allow me to go back in my house. I'm shaken, understandably. I wish Tammy was here so we could console each other. Oh how I need one of her hugs.

I called out of work today. I think the smoke inhalation has gotten to me a bit. I'm a little lightheaded and woozy. Plus, I need the day to just sort of relax. This was an Easter I won't soon forget. 

• Like 3

Oh Mitch. What a horrible experience! I'm so sorry this happened to you and your neighbors! And I am grateful to know that you are safe. Once again, I think your Tammy Angel is looking out for you! 

• Like 1

Oh Mitch, I'm so sorry!  I send you a cyber hug, I know, kind of worthless, but better than nothing.  I'm glad you're okay and your house is okay and no one died in it.  Hopefully this means no one will be living there for quite some time and you can have some peace for a little while at least!  I'm so sorry Tammy had to endure all that when she was already suffering physically and didn't need that on top of it!

My own Easter weekend was eventful too, but yours makes mine sound tame.

I went to my son's to celebrate his birthday and...we had a great time there, but I won't be bringing Arlie back...Bruno attacked him again.  I think this makes six or seven times he's bit him.  Arlie has never bitten back, I don't understand what is up with Bruno, but I don't want to put Arlie through it again, and like Bethany said, what if the kids would have seen it or been in the way?  

Had a scary thing happen on the hike we went on...the trail got narrower and narrower the further up we went.  We were near the top when there was a washed out place on the trail, and I don't know how he did it,but somehow Arlie got turned around on the trail.  I was trying to help him get turned back around but he wasn't listening because he was in panic mode.  All of a sudden his back feet slipped off the trail, and there was a sheer drop off there.  I don't know how I did it, but I got his hind in back on the trail, it was just instinctive to grab him.  It must have scared Paul because he told me next time to cut the dog loose.  I couldn't do that, let my baby fall and suffer to death, leave him all alone, can't even think about it.  Bethany said better him than me, but I don't feel that way, he's like a child to me.  I never would have taken him on it had I know what it'd be like, but they'd told me we were going to hike on an old road, that wasn't the case, the old road was what we drove on before we got to the trail.  It was a spectacular view, but I opted not to go the last couple hundred feet or so, I could see the waterfall perfectly, just didn't get close enough to feel the mist.  I was literally praying we'd all make it down safely!  Three adults, a toddler, a baby, and three large dogs...it was just too much.  I hadn't been on anything like this for 13 years!  I hadn't brought tennis shoes, I didn't know they were planning on doing this.

The neat thing though was I felt totally fit for it and didn't feel it was too hard for me other than the trail being narrow and next to the drop off.

Keeping Arlie on safer ground...
It's kind of scary to think that we both could have plummeted to our death.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kayc said:

Good heavens, Kay! These two stories (yours and Mitch's) are giving me goose bumps. What kind of Easter is THAT?! So relieved to know that you and Arlie are safe and sound 

• Like 2

Mitch and Kay,.  What a nightmare for both of you!  So glad you both (and Arlie) are ok.   My Easter was the opposite.  My brother took me out for breakfast and then I spent the rest of the day alone.  What a stark contrast to Easters past.  Glad everyone is ok and Mitch, I hope there is no damage to your home or lungs.

• Like 2

Renters are always a crapshoot.  It’s too bad they don’t allow owners to rent townhouses.  It’s bad enough in a free standing house.  Glad you are OK, Mitch.  Heck of a way to spend any night.

Yours doesn’t sound tame, Kay.  So glad you were there for Arlie. You did exactly what dog moms do.  I can always tell immediately if someone is truly a dog person by their actions.  I would never abandon any of my 'kids' no matter how dangerous the situation.  Im such s city person.  The great outdoors is great.....out there.  Best to you and Arlie.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kayc said:

Oh Mitch, I'm so sorry!  I send you a cyber hug, I know, kind of worthless, but better than nothing.  I'm glad you're okay and your house is okay and no one died in it.  Hopefully this means no one will be living there for quite some time and you can have some peace for a little while at least!  I'm so sorry Tammy had to endure all that when she was already suffering physically and didn't need that on top of it!

My own Easter weekend was eventful too, but yours makes mine sound tame.

I went to my son's to celebrate his birthday and...we had a great time there, but I won't be bringing Arlie back...Bruno attacked him again.  I think this makes six or seven times he's bit him.  Arlie has never bitten back, I don't understand what is up with Bruno, but I don't want to put Arlie through it again, and like Bethany said, what if the kids would have seen it or been in the way?  

Had a scary thing happen on the hike we went on...the trail got narrower and narrower the further up we went.  We were near the top when there was a washed out place on the trail, and I don't know how he did it,but somehow Arlie got turned around on the trail.  I was trying to help him get turned back around but he wasn't listening because he was in panic mode.  All of a sudden his back feet slipped off the trail, and there was a sheer drop off there.  I don't know how I did it, but I got his hind in back on the trail, it was just instinctive to grab him.  It must have scared Paul because he told me next time to cut the dog loose.  I couldn't do that, let my baby fall and suffer to death, leave him all alone, can't even think about it.  Bethany said better him than me, but I don't feel that way, he's like a child to me.  I never would have taken him on it had I know what it'd be like, but they'd told me we were going to hike on an old road, that wasn't the case, the old road was what we drove on before we got to the trail.  It was a spectacular view, but I opted not to go the last couple hundred feet or so, I could see the waterfall perfectly, just didn't get close enough to feel the mist.  I was literally praying we'd all make it down safely!  Three adults, a toddler, a baby, and three large dogs...it was just too much.  I hadn't been on anything like this for 13 years!  I hadn't brought tennis shoes, I didn't know they were planning on doing this.

The neat thing though was I felt totally fit for it and didn't feel it was too hard for me other than the trail being narrow and next to the drop off.

Oh Kayc:  Poor you and Arlie.....that is unbelievable scary.  I feel so bad about Arlie continually getting bitten.  Wonder what's up with Bruno.  Anyway, glad you could do the trail so well and that you're okay....Cookie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mittam99 said:

This will be a bit of a novel but hopefully an interesting read...

Yesterday was Easter of course and it just wasn't the same without Tammy. Nothing is. It also was a day that something very frightening happened. But first a little background.

I live in a townhouse. Basically a house connected to many other houses. It's sort of like living in a 3 story apartment that you own because you have neighbors on the left and right of your outer walls. And often, you're at their mercy depending on the type of neighbor they are.

I've lived here for 30 years. For a long time everyone here owned their own home. But in the past 10 years some of the homes have become rentals and unfortunately one of those homes is next door to me. Let's call that the house from Hell or maybe the house of horrors.

Keep reading for all the gory details...

The first renter moved in next to us maybe 5 years ago. And they were horrible and inconsiderate. For all I know, they may have even been vampires because all their loud noise and activity was after dark. It was unnerving living next to them. And it affected Tammy deeply. She was homebound and mostly bedridden and she just couldn't relax with their random thumps and bumps. It often sounded like they were taking a sledgehammer to the wall. A part of me knows these terrible people contributed to Tammy's emotional stress. And that angers me. One night, the adults in that family encouraged their kids to throw icy snowballs at my house. My daughter Katie and I watched the madness in disbelief from her bedroom window.

As it turned out, when they were finally evicted a couple years ago, the landlord told me they did over $20,000 in damage to that house. They even knocked kitchen cabinets off the wall. How is that even possible? For lack of better words, they were monsters.

The next renters weren't as bad but they weren't exactly friendly and they enjoyed throwing trash in my yard. But enough about them.

Let's get to it and talk about my current next door neighbors and the frightening event of yesterday.

The only way to describe them is to say an unlimited amount of people live there. There is a constant flow of different families and individuals there. It appears to be some sort of safe house or drug house. They scream at the top of their lungs and argue often. They litter. And often, live music and heavy, thumping bass pound my walls, well past midnight. The police have been called to that house multiple times for domestic incidents. You get the picture. My life alone with Tammy is hard. I need neighbors like this like I need a hole in my head.

Easter Sunday. Around 4:30 PM. I hear a male voice screaming at the top of his lungs. He's next door on the backyard deck. I figured it was just another day with the neighbors from hell. In the distance, I hear a siren. What's new, right? The police have been called in... here we go again. And honestly,  that would have been better than what transpired.

Oh, it was sirens alright. Not police sirens though. It was the entire areas fire, ambulance and police departments arriving at the scene. My guess is at least 10 fire trucks, 5 ambulances and several police cars. The main road leading to my house was cordoned off. I see a crowd starting to gather and I throw some clothes on and go outside. And then I smell it.

The overwhelming smell of a house on fire. Yes, my next door neighbors house is on fire. Heavy black smoke billowing out of both upstairs windows. Keep in mind our houses are connected and I'm worried about my house being damaged. Seeing those dozens of firefighters with axes in their hands pointing to my house has me scared $hitless. 

I find out from one of the fireman that the blaze appeared to have started in their basement yet smoke is billowing out of the third floor. This is bad. We're all in shock watching this unfold. And then they bring out a victim of the fire. She appears to be OK but belligerent. She's fighting with the EMT crew as they try to put her on the stretcher.

About an hour later, the smoke stops spewing out and things calm down. Firemen go in my house to check on it. The air levels seem fine and they allow me to go back in my house. I'm shaken, understandably. I wish Tammy was here so we could console each other. Oh how I need one of her hugs.

I called out of work today. I think the smoke inhalation has gotten to me a bit. I'm a little lightheaded and woozy. Plus, I need the day to just sort of relax. This was an Easter I won't soon forget. 

Mitch....so sorry that happened.  I don't know what is wrong with people in this world.  It's unfathomable sometimes.  I always wonder why people can't live in peace together; I know, ridiculous question.  The fire thing really had to be scary....I can imagine your need of Tammy's presence and support.....I always feel so sorrowful and needy for John's comfort when things go south...virtual hugs from me too....Cookie

• Like 1

Mitch, '

Please give us an update...let us know if you're able to breathe okay and for sure there's no damage to your place.  Thought about calling you but it was too late (time difference)...it's been a crazy day, snowing, hailing, electricity out (it's back now).  So much for a calm day at home!

• Like 1

I'm OK but still shaken. I needed this day off. I got a new hair dryer today (yeah I still have hair lol) from Amazon. Opened the box and plugged it in to see how it worked and I freaked out a bit. It had that burning smell to it due to being brand new. Logically, I knew the smell wasn't from fire, obviously, but I'm a bit paranoid at this point.

• Like 3

Just keep an eye on it...my last hair dryer did burn, it sent out sparks that could have caught my hair on fire, very scary!  I found out it's a common thing spanning just about every brand!  I filed a complaint, they would have bought me a new one but I'd already replaced it myself by then.  I've learned to look in the mirror when I blow dry my hair so I can pull the plug quickly if need be!

• Like 1