Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mom

Vincent is only 5 so I think beyond T-ball this is it so far, but his mom is huge into sports, so is Ceci.  I'm so glad!  DIL would make a great coach!

This is scary!  You shouldn't have to wait.  Maybe go back to ER 9/1.  This is totally nuts!  Wow, I am so sorry!  And blood in urine isn't good.  :angry:

Figured it out last night. When I move around the catheter is tearing tissue and thats the blood. Kidneys etc are fine. And thats when I get a bad urge to pee. Otherwise im fine. Last night the bag tube kept coming unconnected from the catheter tube so I 'peed' on the bed and it leaked on the floor. Have a new bag coming sunday and got some tape and taped the tubs to my leg so hopefully wont pull off.

ER thought I could see a urologist fast, doesnt happen. So I have one set of this and itwont last 3 weeks. Hasnt lasted one. Nobody said how long I should or need this in or how long it would take the meds. Definitely cant do a thing with this in.

Did laundry at 5a.m. and tried to find someone to see about this. Whats scary is at my docs office not one openingfor the next 30 days. Need to find a new office.

I like your idea, as soon as Ins is active I go to ER. 325 copay and then 20%

Kids really are awesome. No fear, just find what they like and theyre a joyous ball of fire. Guess if we're lucky we keep some of that as we grow up. I bet he is excited for football season this year.

Alright, at least the biggest worries with me are gone. Kidneys and such arent bleeding. One way or another will make it.

You and the animals take good care

• Like 1

Scott, I don't know what, if any, instructions you were given regarding an indwelling catheter, but finding blood in your urine is not a good sign, and it should be reported. Can you return to the ER to let them know what is happening? Having an indwelling catheter can lead to other problems, including infection, and special care is required. See, for example, Indwelling Catheter Care 

• Like 1

Thanks Marty. 

Went to the doctor's yesterday but the PA didnt seem to be too concerned. They are however doing a urine test to check for UTI. I figured it out this morning. The catheter is rubbing the inside flesh and thats why its bleeding. If I lay still i'm fine but when I move it hurts. I wonder if the tech didnt just scrape it on the way in. ER costs over 3300 so thats only if i'm dieing. I know it sounds dumb but I have to pay bills etc. My medicare kicks in Sept 1 so planning on going to the ER then. 

I dont know how they can tell if I can pee again unless they take the catheter out. The med needs a few days to work I would think. ER just gave me the basics because they (and I naively) thought I could see the Urologist in a couple days. Cant see him til sept13. I cant wait that long. 

The other fun thing is they only gave me one set of bags and last night the bag to catheter connection kept coming off. Otherwise I have no symptoms, no back aches, no pains, no fatigue, swelling, or anything. I think its just the catheter rubbing me raw.

• Like 1

Trying, started last night the bag tube slips off the catheter tube, will grab a new bag later. Did the chat with an ER doctor and she's sending in a script for some gel. Hoping that gives some relief. Most of the pain is at the tip so will hope she calls that in. With my luck i'll walk in to CVS for that script and the tubes disconnect and I pee my pants. 

Thanks, i'll make it. Life just has some crummy timing.

• Like 2

Hmm, my ER is only $90 copay, wondering if that's the new charge this upcoming year?  Hope not!  That's with UHC HMO.

Same insurance if they accept me, havent heard anything yet. Last night pushed the tubes as hard as I could and no good, taped and no good. Woke up starting ands escaped a wet bed. After I cleaned up I put on a pair of Dads adult underwear but left it lower so the tube fit in andwent downward, slept on my back. I woke up to a soaked diaper but nothing else. Nopt the best way but its a way. Have three catheter bags coming today and praying one works. If not will superglue the tubes together and hope that works. ER says I can come in...full charge. Too bad this catheter doesnt have a shutoff valve on it.

Medicare kicks in Sept 1, havent heard about my aarp/uhc advantage

• Like 1

My UHC advantage supplants Medicare so only one insurance but still, I am shocked at the copay for ER when it only cost me $90 last year.

Woke up after six hours, still tired but know if I went back to bed I'd just lay there...

Well, my Ins hasnt started yet so what I paid was the entire bill. But I didnt have a choice. Ins kicks in Thursday. Got an email from the Advantage asking me to register but havent gotten my card yet so no idea what my number is. One of the catheter bags connects and stays connected so all good there. I figured out what the blood was. Everytime I move the catheter rubs tissue and was making it bleed. I red all over that you can continue your lifestyle but not true. Or else mine was improperly done, maybe no lubrication. I know it will hurt really bad when it comes out. Hopefully get results of urine test tomorrow and get good news. I dont have a fever, soreness or swelling or any sign of anything wrong. Probably just prostrate and have been on the med for almost a week so that should take care of things and I will pee again. I've accepted not doing anything physical and stay still...and it works.

• Like 1

This is where you register.  You can get your card there while waiting for one to come in the mail.
UnitedHealthcare*
I can't believe what they've put you through.  :(

My card showed up on the site today but with a dufferent PCP so I called to get that fixed. I asked if the ER doctor referring me to the Urologist (in network) counted as a referral and she was very confusing so will call tomorrow. Sounded like she was telling me my PCP still needed to refer me. I also asked her how they know if I have a referral or not, does the PCP send that in or do I need to send it in but again she was very confusing

• Like 1

Pretty sure the PCP needs to do the referrals, usually ER reports their findings to the PCP and they take it from there.  However, in the event you didn't have a PCP you may need to contact ER to send it to yours now.  

Ins company got my PCP wrong. I called to have them fix it and its still wrong. I'll call after the holiday. Just waiting for the Urologist on the 13th in the hopes he will remove the catheter and all is well. It's very uncomfortable and I cant do much, no bending over, getting down on the floor, no extreme movements and best to not walk at all. I know he will do many tests but just hoping I can pee again and he takes it out. I have way too much to do. 

We had an inch of rain yesterday. High today is 91 so I guess we survived. Have some little pumpkins coming in. Going to try and get the rest of the seeds in.

I can stay here thru January at best, then i'm paying my own way. So far my health has cost me 4k. No idea what the urologist will be, but I have Ins, 20 dollar deductible etc. No more blood in urine. Cath was rubbing me raw so I reset where the anchor was and its much better. 

Do you by chance make pumpkin pies? I may try baking one. I really want to find a good recipe for pumpkin spice cookies. I guess I could get a sugar cookie recipe and add pumpkin spice instead of sugar. 

Have you folks cooled off any? How are the wildfires?

Take good care.

If the PCP they have is the same clinic, you can still see the one you select..  Ins. has mine wrong too but still covered, they have his credentialing messed up and apparently it takes them months to fix it!  It's on the third month since it was reported.

The Cedar Creek Fire (Waldo Lake) is over 14,000 acres now, was 9,200 the day before but they got wind and it'd been in the 90s all week.  Today it's in the 80s, glad of that!  No rain all summer here.

I don't make pumpkin pie anymore with my diabetes, but do have recipes for cupcakes, muffins, etc.

Keto Pumpkin Mug Cake
INGREDIENTS

·         2 Tbsp melted butter

·         1 egg

·         2 Tbsp pumpkin puree

·         2 Tbsp almond flour

·         1 Tbsp coconut flour

·         2 Tbsp sweetener, like Swerve granulated

·         1/2 tsp baking powder

·         1/4 tsp cinnamon

·         1/8 tsp nutmeg

·         1/8 tsp ginger

·         pinch cloves

·         pinch salt

INSTRUCTIONS

1.   In a large coffee mug, add melted butter, egg, and pumpkin puree. Mix well.

2.   Add the dry ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, spices, and salt. Mix well.

3.   Microwave on high for 60-90 seconds. Depending on your microwave and the size of your mug, the cooking time will vary. If after 90 seconds, your mug cake is still undercooked, microwave it for an additional 30 seconds.

4.   Optionally, top with Keto whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
6 net carbs

https://greenandketo.com/keto-pumpkin-mug-cake

image.png.924e7b109068b7e00180a90f5c8c97b5.png

Am wondering how you're doing with the catheter today.

The Cedar Creek fire has grown to 18,000 acres and winds predicted today/tomorrow heading towards me!   Very frightening as tomorrow is my appt. with the gastroenterologist (consultation) 1 1/2 hours away, and I need to leave Kodie at home.  Will be gone a few hours but will see if Iris can come get him midway through.  Very nervous about what the doctor will say...praying it's not the C word!  I don't think I could handle that.  Keto fights cancer so I do have that on my side, maybe it's the only thing that's kept it at bay?  I don't know.  I want so badly to cancel but I know I need to go...

I hope you're doing better today and no blood or pain!

Praying for no fire and for your health. Try not to think the worst. I know is easy to say but trying to practice that myself.

No more blood since I figured out why I had it. Read that you can do whatever with a catheter in. Not so. When I bent over or moved wrong I felt it scrape or poke inside and thats I think the blood. Since ive been being carefull no blood. It was also chewing up the insertion point some. It was secured to the front of the thigh so the tube was bent off at an angle. I moved a clamp to the inner thigh so it ran straight down and much better. Still uncomfortable and cant really do anything physical. Falling far behind on the house. Thinking now estate sale in November and sell in January. 

I was going to take the holiday off but think i'll work on some software.

Try not to worry, hang in there and take good acre of yourself and Kodie. 

• Like 1

Earlier this week my fasting blood sugar was 102, 90 after walk.  This morning 127 from the stress.  My exSIL called 5 times yesterday.  I left her a message what's going on today and that I AM NOT UP TO TALKING!  She hit five times after that until I took my phone off the hook!  She always wants to talk 1 1/2-2 hours about my ex and his wife, NO!!!  I'm sure that didn't help my BS right before bedtime!

Still don't know where to go,  Will head down there and call for more explicit directions when I'm in their parking lot.  This place is VAST and very confusing!

The whole catheter thing sounds like a nightmare!  They put it in and then just stuck you with it!  I am so sorry!

Kodie is my lifesaver, honestly.

Hang in there. If we could only eliminate the stress. If you figure that out please let me know. I just dont answer the phone anymore, let it go to voicemail.

I got out and almost mowed the yard. Guy next door stopped me and said he would finish when he did his. Theyre very nice people and very much need to be needed. Its nice to have an emergency contact. But i'm fine except for having a catheter. I have no other symptoms, feel good. Im learning how to sit and have no discomfort. Walking has a bit. No more yardwork though. 

Went onto the porch to have a look after dark.There was the momma rat...big as a cat/small dog. I'll throw the birdfeedr away and empty the birdbath. Got some peppermint oil and hot sauce ill spread around. But thats all im up to doing.

The pumpkins are growing.

I hope you find where youre going easy and fast. hate going new places like that. 

Problem with healthcare is there is no co-ordination. Er gives me a catheter and sets me free. Not knowing I cant see the urologist for 3 weeks. PCP has no idea whats going on or how long its supposed to be in. She just says its up to the urologist. Who is booked so solid hes hard to see. Ill go in next tuesday. If he cant or wont take this out I may cry then and there.

Take good care of yourself and Kodie. 

4 hours ago, Tachi said:

I just dont answer the phone anymore, let it go to voicemail.

Yep, I did that, even so, it's annoying having the phone ringing in your ear, esp. when you're trying to go to sleep!

My trip Tuesday was a waste except for one thing:  She said it does NOT look like cancer!  A scope wouldn't help as it goes beyond the throat to esophogus and stomach, it's not in there, it's in the throat and mouth...she said I need an ENT, possibly one fresh out of school with a fresh perspective.  I feel back to square one.  Maybe something I just have to live with.  But I was VERY relieved to hear it doesn't sound like cancer.  I went through the 14 symptoms of throat cancer  found here:
https://veryhealthy.life/14-symptoms-of-throat-cancer/?utm_source=first sign throat cancer&utm_medium=14SymptomsofThroatCancer&utm_campaign=adw_us&msclkid=8f1ca9d5b0fd1d171a09cac39169b991

Nope, I'm healthier than I look!  
I also looked here:
https://betahealthy.com/most-common-symptoms-causes-and-effective-treatment-for-cancer-that-require-immediate-attention/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Cancer&utm_term=what do the stages of cancer mean&utm_content=cancer stages

Nope I don't fit the bill.  After filling out their LENGTHY questionairre at the doctor I began to wonder why I was there...I do NOT fit the bill!

So the question remains, what is it?  It's not my imagination!  And my platelets are up 25% over 2-3 years before.  At least they aren't in critical stage!

As for the Cedar Creek fire, it's up over 18,000 this week, the wind is heading towards us...in the 90s, Sat. predicted to be 100s...T&L to boot!  They decided to send all the fire crews from Lane County home.  ???  I'm worried about evacuations and they're sending people home?  Couldn't get back to sleep this morning.

Wow, how nice of your neighbor!  That's super sweet!  I'm glad you're done with yardwork.  Can't even mow here right now, might send a spark...everything is super dry.

So CA decreed all new vehicles have to be electric by 2035, then they shut people down from charging them, too hard on the grid..  Now OR wants to follow suit!  There goes my ever buying a new car!  Not to mention it'll drive the cost of used cars up as well.  Nuts.  Where I live it's not feasible to have an electric car!

Glad its not cancer, I know thats a big relief. You might see if you can find a young doctor. When dad cracked 2 discs in his back his docs in two visits didnt catch it but when I took him to the ER he had a young doctor who did a scan and caught it quick. 

Your throat is a puzzler but there is an answer. Do you sleep with your mouth open? Cobblestone throat makes bumps at the back of your throat and can be painful.

I see what theyre doing with the electric cars. Their politics say electric cars. The reality is the grid cant handle the elec load now. Much less add on charging all those cars. They dont connect their beliefs to reality. theyll get rid of gas cars and people will have  a few elec cars but cant drive them. What people dont consider is they take a long time to charge. So if you are diving farther than their one charge range you're stuck somewhere charging for 8 or so hours instead of just filling up the tank.

Need that fire to change directions or burn down or out. Maybe the way things are going they need more firefighters.

We're back to 90s. I walk the back yard each morning. Cant sleep very well. If I cant breathe well on my back then I cant sleep. On my side hurts too much w/ the catheter. It needs to come out tuesday. Its painful at times, always uncomfortable and my bladder is spasming more and thats painful. Besides I cant do anything. 

But I have some pumpkins growing again. theyre small so will see what happens. And the corn is coming up again.

edit-went to the urologist today, short exam. he did the finger exam and said my prostrate is as big as a grapefruit, he removed my catheter and said call him tomorrow if i couldnt pee. And I go back for bloodwork on the 5th and a followup on the 11th. Well I got home and couldnt pee. So went back to the ER to get another catheter. I asked the er doctor about my new med and he said 3-4 weeks to work. This time I had Insurance and it only cost me 90 bucks. I fear this may be something serious but have to give the med time to work. Also means I cant do anything in the yard or on the house. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tachi said:

Do you sleep with your mouth open?

No, and the dentist said it's inflamed glands on the TONGUE, I have white splotches in the back of my throat.  They suddenly appeared the day after Christmas, sudden onset of them and the inflamation of the tongue.  It looks like thrush but I was treated, doubly, twice, and it goes away after two weeks if left untreated.  Allergies can mimic thrust, got tested, nada.  I've looked into side effects of Rxs, etc, nope.  Dr. took me off inhaler 1 1/2 years ago, didn't do anything, but it let me know I didn't need the inhaler after being prescribed it for 16 years!  Either never needed it or Keto cured it.
Fire is at 87.000 acres this last weeked with 100 degree temps and winds going our direction.  It is 2 miles from my dead end road, only one way out...towards it, down High Prairie since they closed Box Canyon due to it.  Hit level 3 Friday and evacuated.  It's level 2 since Monday, I came home last night (Tues.).  Power was shut off so I lost most of my refrigerator.  My chest freezer...the neighbor ran it when he got home Sunday eve. and thank God, it was okay!  I called him last night and told him my SF Dilly Bar I keep in the top back of it next to leaky seal didn't melt at all!  He saved my bacon!  

They said the fire would be end of Oct. to burn out BEFORE it grew!  Now I don't know.  They finally called in some Feds and special funding and the gov'r declared it an emergency/disaster or something.  I'd wondered why in the world they sent home all the Lane County firefighters because they were "needed at home."  WHAT???  We need them HERE!  Our whole town was on level 2 evac and most left, but are now back.  Staying packed and ready to leave at a moment's notice.  It's hard living out of suitcases.  I took Kodie and went to my daughter's, 1 1/2 hours away.  Was on a borrowed laptop (her BF's) but it barely worked with a struggle.  Still, thankful to use it, he uses it for his work.  Kodie was so funny, scrambling to get footing on the elevator!  He finally got used to it.  He loved the low window in the hallway, he could stand up and look out.  He was fascinated with looking down on rooftops and trees and seeing the cars/people going by!  I took him for 4 walks/day, he loved it.  Not the greatest part of town but we avoided nighttime.
Continual updating map CalTopo - Backcountry Mapping Evolved Look for First Creek/Mountain View Rd (dead end road left of the fire, left of Camp 6)...fire 2 miles from my road.  No way off the dead end street except High Praire as Box Canyon is closed for the fire.

8 hours ago, Tachi said:

went to the urologist today, short exam. he did the finger exam and said my prostrate is as big as a grapefruit, he removed my catheter and said call him tomorrow if i couldnt pee. And I go back for bloodwork on the 5th and a followup on the 11th. Well I got home and couldnt pee. So went back to the ER to get another catheter. I asked the er doctor about my new med and he said 3-4 weeks to work. This time I had Insurance and it only cost me 90 bucks. I fear this may be something serious but have to give the med time to work. Also means I cant do anything in the yard or on the house. 

OMG, how horrible!  What caused the prostrate to enlarge, do they say?  Is this something that happens as you age that you have to live with now and then?  I feel so sorry for you!  Sending you healing thoughts and prayers, my dear friend!

Came home and poor Panther, he'd had diarreah and was covered in burrs!  Also has an infestation of ear mites.  My son said Wilco has OTC meds for it, so will go there when I go to town next week.  Poor Kitty!  They were even bleeding.  I wish I could take him to the vet, but he won't let me pick him up to put him in the carrier.  He freaks out.  He was so loving, so happy to see us, we were gone five days.  I cleaned up the diarreah as best as I could and got it off the patio, also picked the burrs off in intervals so I wouldn't outdo his tolerance but he was amazing and just kept purring even when it pulled and hurt a bit.

Throat sounds like an infection of some sort. Or a reaction to somethng, and it goes away on its own. I wonder what the trigger is. If its happened to you, then you can bet its happened to others.

Prostate begins to enlarge naturally as men age. varying time and rate of course. Many factors. And there can be other causes like diseases or cancer. If caught early cancer has a very high rate to deal with. natural causes also when caught early. I ignored it and now I will pay. Urologist didnt say much, he didnt know much. Looks like we will let drug run its course and see if it reduces the size at all. But its probably too big at this point. I've had no other symptoms other than peeing problems. I;m thinking due to its size they will have to do a procedure. How much they'd need to remove I have no idea. Sometimes they can do things in the office to remove tissue around the urethra so it doesnt squeeze it shut. Or they may put me in the hospital. Of that im scared to death. But we have to wait and see. In the meantime everything is on hold while the money slowly drains away.

Edit-when the urologist found out I was back in the ER because I still cant pee he had his office call. We are doing an ultrasound, a bladder scope, a bladder stress test and some bloodwork. I dont think there is anything wrong other than my prostrate is big and choking off the urethra. I drink lots of water all day and I pee alot and it turns clear as the day goes along. So my kidneys are fine. Anyway, last visit will be Oct4 so maybe we will have ruled out cancer and some other really bad stuff. I'm betting he will need to do a procedure to unblock me, hopefully in the office and not crazy. 

Sorry to keep adding to this. Things keep happening.

take care.

• Sad 1

Except it doesn't go away.  The throat issue has been a constant since Christmas 2020.  I did have pock marks filled with an acrid white substance, but that disappeared in March.

It went to level 1 yesterday!  Still just 2 miles from here though.  But it's in the 60s now and no wind.

My FIL got prostrate cancer and survived it, then again.  He lived into his 90s.

Don't be sorry for adding to your post, I wonder about how you're doing anyway...

I learned online to use baby oil on Panthers ears to smother his ear mites, and I'm using an ear cleanser I had for Arlie.  He doesn't hold still very long, so it's a challenge...he does seems appreciative though, even though he's squirrely.