Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I can't believe this has happened.  I lost my sweetie Olive on Thurs.  Had picked my nephew up from the airport; she was with me.  We stopped and took a little walk...she was her usual, happy, smiling self.  Got back in the car.  I turned around and could tell something terrible was wrong.  We jumped out and pulled her out...she was having trouble getting breath.  We tried CPR, compressions....she was dead in 30 seconds.  I am so torn up and feel so dark.  No rhyme or reason...just dead.  I really feel like there is a curse on me....first John, than Ranger, now Olive.....why am I still here.  She has been my comfort and companion these last 3 years and especially since Ranger left.  I feel like I'm being punished and there is no point to me.  It's almost like the universe is saying, okay, get out of here, like I'm being pushed over the edge.  The vet said it sounded like acute heart failure...in a seemingly healthy dog who was only 9 and 1/2?  Just devastated right now......

• Like 2

Cookie,  I grieve with you for you losing your Olive. I do understand what you are going through today. If I hadn't had my little Sugar to keep me sane I probably wouldn't have made it through those beginning, dark days after my Cookie died. Sugar is the most recent of the many rescue dogs we had over the years. I don't know Sugar's exact age. We got her in December, 2010, so all i know is that she is more than 8 years old.I try not to dwell on it and think about it, but I dread the day when her turn comes to go to the Rainbow Bridge. It won't be a good day. My thoughts are with you.

Darrel

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cookie said:

I can't believe this has happened.  I lost my sweetie Olive on Thurs.  Had picked my nephew up from the airport; she was with me.  We stopped and took a little walk...she was her usual, happy, smiling self.  Got back in the car.  I turned around and could tell something terrible was wrong.  We jumped out and pulled her out...she was having trouble getting breath.  We tried CPR, compressions....she was dead in 30 seconds.  I am so torn up and feel so dark.  No rhyme or reason...just dead.  I really feel like there is a curse on me....first John, than Ranger, now Olive.....why am I still here.  She has been my comfort and companion these last 3 years and especially since Ranger left.  I feel like I'm being punished and there is no point to me.  It's almost like the universe is saying, okay, get out of here, like I'm being pushed over the edge.  The vet said it sounded like acute heart failure...in a seemingly healthy dog who was only 9 and 1/2?  Just devastated right now......

Cookie,

I am so sorry, I know how devastating this feels.  I lost George, then our cat Tigger ran away because he saw George wasn't coming back.  Then our cat King George died.  Then our dog Lucky.  I don't think it's a curse, I think death is part of the life cycle and it happens to us all, some of us more than others, some of us sooner than others, but one thing is for sure, we all encounter loss sooner or later.  My heart goes out to you in your loss, it's one more hit, another thing to try to get used to.  :(

• Like 3

sorry cookies.. i love my furrybabies sooo much they great companion they never leave your side.. and comfort when other don't care about our grief of our spouses who pass.. ..kayc did you cat tiger came back? maybe leave food and water it might come back..

• Like 2

Oh Cookie!  What a horrible loss and one you had to see happen.  Not even a warning.  My tears are with you.  I wish I knew what to say besides death has hit us all too closely.  We keep being robbed of our treasures too quickly and cruelly.  It is like being singled out and pushed to an edge.  I am glad you weren’t alone.  Many hugs, tho I know it’s just words on a page.  But you know we all feel your pain.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cookie said:

Cookie,

I am so sorry about Olive.  This grief is no different than the loss of your beloved husband.  Although it FEELS like you are being punished it is because death hurts so much.  Your beloved, Olive, was with you at her time of transition.  She was beside you, whom she loved.  My heart grieves with you.  It is okay to be devastated. Feel whatever feelings that come.  Yet know that the UNIVERSE (GOD) is always for us and not against us.  I'm sending hugs your way. {{{ HUGS}} - Shalom

• Like 4

20 hours ago, irina S said:

kayc did you cat tiger came back? maybe leave food and water it might come back..

No, and it's been 13 years.  I doubt it survived long in the wild, it'd never been on its own and there's too many predators around.  My hope is he found another home with someone more to his liking. 

Cookie, how're you doing?

Thank you all for the love....kayc:  I'm doing a little better; have quit beating myself up for thinking I caused her death somehow.  Still in quite a bit of pain, but going on with the usual stuff.  Miss her so bad.  I know you have all suffered like this and so your words of comfort really mean something....fondly, Cookie

My little girl.....

IMG_0131.JPG

• Like 2

Oh Cookie, she's just beautiful!  I know you miss her, I don't think there's anything that eases this pain beyond time and even then it's felt.

• Like 1

I empathize with your heart break Cookie.  Your girl is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing her story and her photo.

I have lost way too many fur family members over the years.  Most recently were two of my horses that had to be euthanized.  The dark one, Dakota, in Sept '16 and the other, Kachina de Chelly, in Sept '17.

IMG_1601.JPG

• Like 3

it's hard enough to lose our husbands, but then to lose our furry family members on top of it, I remember crying out to God, "Can't I keep ANYTHING?!!!"

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, Widowedbysuicide said:

I empathize with your heart break Cookie.  Your girl is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing her story and her photo.

I have lost way too many fur family members over the years.  Most recently were two of my horses that had to be euthanized.  The dark one, Dakota, in Sept '16 and the other, Kachina de Chelly, in Sept '17.

IMG_1601.JPG

Oh my gosh, how beautiful....so sorry...

• Upvote 1

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, MartyT said:

Still hurting with you, Cookie. Here is the one I lost:

Beringer2.jpg

This video spoke to me when my beloved Beringer went to the Rainbow Bridge: 

Looks like such a sweetheart...my heart goes out to you too....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 7:10 PM, Widowedbysuicide said:

MartyT, thank you. 

My heart has had too many tears in the past 2 1/2 years.  Life just doesn't look like I had hoped it would.  Riding was part of my therapy and I miss it and my horses terribly.

Marita, Is it difficult/dangerous to ride a horse? I would like to learn but I am scare to fall down and hurt myself. I read is a very good type of therapy. I always liked to watch them.

I love horses and I'm willing to risk some injuries.  There are some things I don't do anymore because the risk is too high.  I have had some wild rides and wild accidents and as I get older/wiser I am much less inclined to pretend I'm 13.

The average horse weighs 900 - 1200 lbs.  It has a smallish brain that always is wary of being attacked.  Horse will do the craziest things when they get that flight response.  Having said that I would not discourage you from taking lessons from a reputable and insured trainer/coach.

Always wear a helmet that fits.  Footwear is very important too, you need some heel.  Buy a new helmet because you don't want to take chances with a invisibly damaged brain bucket, (trainer should tell you these things too).  Walk before you run (trot or canter).  Learn how to groom a horse and spend time with it on the ground before you ride.  That will give you some confidence and a chance to get used to its movements and behaviour.

Relax ... breathe and then have some fun.

Riding is something that can always be done better.  It is difficult while being rewarding and freeing.  The more you know the more you will want to know.  It is dangerous so you want to make sure to get as much safety information as you can.  All horses are different, like people, some of them are very cuddly and others are not cuddlers. 

If it is a mare - adult female, and is chestnut or sorrel coloured, people will tell you that she will be trouble.  I loved my sorrel mare.  She was curious, bold, loving, and she always tried to understand what I wanted.  She is the front horse in the picture. Castrated  male horses are called geldings.  They are more likely to be the same each time as they don't have the hormone issues.  Some mares are terrible when they are in season.  The gelding in the picture I posted is a bay.  He has a brown body with black legs, the long hair of the tail, mane, and forlock are also black.  There are variations in colour but the pattern is the same.  He was a gentleman most of the time.  He was finicky with his feet.

I hope you will have an opportunity to spend some time with a well mannered horse.  Where you go from there .... Please let me know.

Marita

• Like 1