Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Son was shot by his best friend

On 12/19/17 My Son's best friend shot Jacob. His friend got a gun off Snapchat. They thought it was unloaded, it wasn't. It has been setting in more lately. It's getting a little hard to deal with. I WANT MY BOY BACK! I should say it's getting very hard to deal with. I am a disabled single Father, Jacob was everything to me. 

20180706_012035.jpg

20180713_235518.jpg

Someone sold him a LOADED gun?  THAT person should be up for charges!  Some places it's illegal to transport a loaded gun even with a conceal and carry permit.  Some places it's illegal to ship a loaded gun.  Some places require you have a gun shipped to a licensed gun dealer where you pick it up, meeting background check and requirements with registration.  I'm so sorry, there is nothing that can rectify what has happened, I know your life has changed forever.  My heart goes out to you.  

They say it's at about six months that reality sets in as the shock wears off, our support sometimes diminishes as people go back to their lives...but ours never does.  You are a month out from that time frame, which is not an exact science, just a rough amount, so it doesn't surprise me that it is setting in more lately for you and getting hard to deal with.

I hope you are seeing a professional grief counselor to help you navigate this, it's too much to try to do on your own, that's what they're there for.  (((hugs))

Thank you. It is getting very to deal with,  I have to fight epilepsy and seizures everyday. I can't work, don't have friends. I am going to attend a support group for parents who lost a child. I hope it gets here quick, because next Thursday seems so far away..I live with my mom and step dad. My mother is a great help for me.It is just getting harder. Then the emotions get the seizures going. I want to take some kind of action on the seller and Snapchat,  I just don't know how. Thanks for answering God bless you and your family. 

• Like 1

The first step would be an attorney that knows the laws of your state.  It won't bring your son back, but maybe some action will feel like you're doing something.

I'm sorry you're dealing with the seizures on top of everything.  I lead a grief support group and we have become close with one another, I hope you find one that is meaningful to you also.

His best friend is getting charges against him. 1st charge is negligent homicide and misuse of a fire arm. The boy needs help. I believe in my heart it was a horrific accident , so I want to forgive. It's now truly getting tested. So I have to trust in God. I'm not sure if they even got the person who sold it to them. We got the guys user name and maybe the conversation. Once again God bless you and your family.

I'm so sorry to read your story.  I'm glad you found this forum as there are people here who can understand what you are dealing with and will offer you emotional support.

My loss is different from yours but this journey of grief is an uphill battle for us all.  I'm very sorry for your loss.  Bless you.

• Like 2

Wishing you the best as you try to get through this horrible ordeal.  If there is a law that was broken in your state by the seller, the D.A. should bring charges.  However, the police do not always know the gun laws as we've seen in other situations so hopefully it will be looked into.

If you want to forgive his friend, I'm sure you'll find the grace to do it.  Sometimes it's a process, it's not based on feelings but on demonstration, the feelings can follow.  Good luck to you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...