Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Happy Birthday To Cookie (my one & only)

When someone you love                                                                                                                                                                 Becomes a memory ...                                                                                                                                                             That memory becomes                                                                                                                                                                                   A treasure!

My wife was born 76 years ago today.  Her birthdays aren't a fun event anymore. That ended a little more than 2 1/2 years ago. I miss all those opportunities of being able to wrap my arms around her, look down at her (she was 5 feet tall, and I am 6'3"), suck face a little bit, and wish her a Happy Birthday. Now I have to settle for picking up her urn and giving it a big ole hug.   

But I do thank the Lord above that my mind still functions, and I can spend time remembering all those treasured memories. When these trigger events first started coming over me in the earlier days of this journey I tried to shake them off without giving in to them. It always seemed like the harder I attempted to resist them, the harder they were on me. Now I just give in to them when they happen. It does seem like I'm able to re-visit the treasured memory without getting totally discombobulated by the emotion of it all.  Whatever works, right? (HAPPY BIRTHDAY,  DEAREST WIFE O' MINE).

And as always...One foot in front of the other

Darrel

nbgsadofsi.gif.1898d89d11b842d2881bd7dafa2dc03e.gif

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Darrel, I just went through that on Saturday, it was his 4th birthday apart.  You are right in that it was a little easier to remember the happy memories of birthday's past, but yet still very difficult, missing him so very much.  I understand, hugs to you. Joyce

• Like 2

Darrel, my heart goes out to you.  Birthdays are more significant to me now because it means they were born for us to find each other somehow and have had the love we did.  Cookie must have felt so safe in your arms you being so tall and her smaller.  I bet she loved being held and hugged by you, her protector in this crazy world.  🌺🌺🌺

• Like 3

Darrel,

Thinking of you and picturing you hugging her urn.  My Grandpa was 6'2" and my grandma 4'11" so I can picture you and your wife together.  :)

• Like 2

Darrel I'm with you, about 1 year behind. Susan's was 7/18, my second without her. I wrote her a card, like we always did, and propped it up against her urn. I hope you can enjoy the memories more than feeling the pain of the loss. That's my struggle TomPB 

• Like 2