Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Does any one receive messages or signs from their lost loved ones?

I recently started believing there is life after death. Before I was skeptical. When my dad died 12 years ago, I got no signs, ever. Or maybe I just wasn’t looking for them. 

But when I lost my boyfriend last week I started researching signs. 

Yesterday, I was sitting outside in the backyard. Usually I’m on my phone but for one moment I decided to look forward and I saw a feather falling down to the ground. 

I don’t know why but I instantly felt some sort of peace. And I genuinely smiled for the first time in a week. I felt it was my boyfriend letting me know he is with me. 

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? 

My condolences to you Katie for your loss.  I remember all too well how much of a basket case I was during the year of 2016. I took my wife off of life support on New Year's Day, 2016. We were together for 41+ years. I still miss her every day, but the grieving process itself is much better now. As the saying goes, time heals all wounds.  You can look forward to time working in your favor as well.

As to your reason for this post, I have had numerous "visits" from my wife.  The most memorable ones came along during the first month after her passing, so I'm not surprised that your event with the feather has happened so soon.

I won't describe them to you now, but I will if you are interested.   If you are interested just let me know in this thread and I will be happy to.

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

13 minutes ago, olemisfit said:

My condolences to you Katie for your loss.  I remember all too well how much of a basket case I was during the year of 2016. I took my wife off of life support on New Year's Day, 2016. We were together for 41+ years. I still miss her every day, but the grieving process itself is much better now. As the saying goes, time heals all wounds.  You can look forward to time working in your favor as well.

As to your reason for this post, I have had numerous "visits" from my wife.  The most memorable ones came along during the first month after her passing, so I'm not surprised that your event with the feather has happened so soon.

I won't describe them to you now, but I will if you are interested.   If you are interested just let me know in this thread and I will be happy to.

Darrel

Hello Darrel @olemisfit

Thank you for sharing and I am too, sorry for you loss. 

It does give me some hope that I too, will one day feel as you do now. 

I am very interested in hearing the visits from your wife. Please let me know. 

Hi Katie32188

I am very sorry for your loss- we've all joined a club no one wants to be in. In response for your question, see page 3 - Has anyone had anything 'strange' happen in your house since your spouse passed?     Lots of folks posted replies, myself included. I am almost 9 months out, and it does get a bit easier, but just be gentle with yourself. Please don't beat yourself up, but I know your guilt. My brother died of cancer caused by alcoholism, so I get it.  Just keep posting and reading, and seek out supportive people. I've been blessed with a wonderful bereavement counselor, and she really has helped me over the last 2 months.

Peace to all of us

Steph

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katie32188 said:

Hello Darrel @olemisfit

Thank you for sharing and I am too, sorry for you loss. 

It does give me some hope that I too, will one day feel as you do now. 

I am very interested in hearing the visits from your wife. Please let me know. 

Hello again, Katie. I know that this isn't about me, but I will share a little bit of how I got here and why. I met my wife in the fall of 1974. She was the front desk mgr of a motel where I was applying for a job as night auditor. When I saw her in all her splendor it honestly was love at first sight. What was that line from Jerry McGuire...she had me with hello.  We tied the knot on March 7, 1975, and the rest is history. I was very lucky. She shared her life with me for a little over 41 years. For the first half of our marriage we worked jobs together. Some people can't do that, but it worked for us. We both felt like we were suffocating when we weren't around each other. Then in the early 90's her health started going bad. She went on social security disability, and I looked for the kind of work where my single income would at least equal what our double incomes had always been. So I became an over-the-road truck driver. We both hated it because we were apart for 28 days of every month, but bills insisted on not paying themselves. I was a truck driver from 1994 until I retired in December, 2010 to be home as my wife's fulltime caregiver. She went into a hospital in Dec, 2015 with pneumonia, was immediately put on a ventilator, and never came off of it.

Now for some of the visitations (that's what I call them) I have experienced. The 1st happened after my wife had been dead (it's only recently that I have been able to use that word) only about a week or so. I was outdoors walking our dog (I still think in terms of our, we or us most of the time).  I was really feeling melancholy that day.  As we got close to one of the buildings of the apartment complex we lived in at the time, "something" told me to look up and at the building I was about to begin walking past. Just as I did that, exactly where I was looking I saw a butterfly flying toward me at head level. When it got to me it flew around my head 3 times, and then flew away. This butterfly was a beautiful green and pink. My wife's 2 favorite colors.This happened in the month of January. The cold month of January isn't exactly normal butterfly season, but there this one was. I will always be convinced that it was my wife. After seeing that butterfly I remember feeling tranquil and at peace. 

#2 happened during the summer of 2016. My wife always liked wind chimes, so I hung one of her favorites inside the apartment in a doorway separating our living room and a hallway. Where I hung it, the wind chime was not in the pathway from any kind of wind current.  This happened more than once, and each time I was laying on the bed either trying to read or watch TV. There was no one else in the apartment. I live alone now. Several times this wind chime tinkled as it would if it was outdoors in the path of a breeze. But it was indoors, and absolutely not in the path of a fan, A/C vent, an open door or window---nothing. 

This next one also happened during the summer months of 2016.  My wife also liked to collect figurines of light houses. There was a certain truckstop in Alabama that sold some nice ones, so when I was in the area of it I would get one for my wife. One time I got her one that had a music box type gizmo on it that played ocean sound when it was activated.  It was activated by a small motion sensor on it. After my wife passed, I turned the motion sensor toward a wall so I wouldn't set it off every time I walked around in the living room. Just like with the wind chime, this event also happened  on more than one occasion and always when  I was in bed. Even tho no one but me was in the apartment and I was in bed each time, "something" triggered the light house to play the sounds.  No one will ever convince me that all these events were not my wife. 

I'm glad to hear that you are using counselors and such. It will make your struggles much easier to cope with. Try to trust the fact that your suffering will get better in time. It's probably impossible to say exactly when. It's different with each person.  God Bless.

Darrel

• Upvote 1

Hi Katie, I am so sorry for your loss.  I lost my husband August 10 and am still entrenched in the grieving process.

It's been recommended to me by friends who  lost a son to be open to all possibilities.  Just be open.  Also a dear cousin who lost her husband 20+ years ago said be watchful for angels; they come in many shapes and forms, and you may not know the impact until much later ( for example, on Friday when we had our final gathering in honor of  Stephen, I returned home to an empty house.  I went out to check the mail, and I found four flat stones in a plant bed next to my door. These four flat stones were painted to look like ladybugs but in different colors.  I've no idea who left them, but an "angel" in my neighborhood knew I needed that.)

I search and call and search for Stephen.  One night last week I went out on my back porch a little after 9 pm. for a smoke.  It's been perhaps six years or so since we've seen fireflies in our back yard.  On this night, I was thinking of him, and suddenly a firefly appeared and blinked three or four times.  I stayed outside for a while, but I never saw it blink again.  I truly believe it was a sign.  And I smiled.

And what about while checking if we have jumper cables in the SUV that he drove, I find a bottle of wine where the spare tire is stored, that he must have tucked away at some point.  And I smiled.

Or how I used to fuss him for leaving kleenex in his shorts, then I'd find bits of paper all over the dryer.  When in week one of his passing, I was wearing his shorts around the house, washed them, and lo and behold, yep, I had left a kleenex in the pocket and had bits of paper all over the dryer.  I looked up and said to Stephen "Looks like I picked up some of your bad habits!"  And I smiled.

Open your heart to all possibilities.  I know it's painful, trust me.  There are moments when I want my heart closed so it stops hurting so much.  But by keeping my heart open, I manage to find not only reasons to cry and grieve, but reasons to smile.

Hugs to you Katie.

~Shirley

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I had a really bad grief day yesterday.  Out of the blue for no reason.  Here's what happened in my life today.  I have arranged, through a kind neighbor, to donate all of Stephen's business suits, dress shirts, and ties to a local organization that helps young fathers dress professionally for job interviews.  In going through the closet, I saw tucked in the back another suit bag.  This is Stephen's tuxedo.  I was really sad and struggling with letting this item go, due to so many memories.  When I went to zip up the bag, I immediately smelled Stephen's cologne.  I unzipped the bag again, took the tux out, smelled all over it (knowing this item had been dry cleaned), and there was zero scent of cologne.  I know he was reaching out to tell me it's okay to let this item go. 

I try not to ask for signs.  He is always there reaching out.  Then a hole opens and he comes through.  And everything inside of me tingles, like static electricity.  I am truly blessed.

• Like 1

Before 3/31/17 I was a skeptic, now I'll try/believe anything. A few months after Susan died I had taken some friends sailing for my first trip without my perfect sailing partner. As we were motoring to pick up the mooring a beautiful falcon landed on the spreaders and stayed. I never had that happen before, not even with a seagull. I believe it was Susan. Had a similar visit with a butterfly landing on one of Susan's sisters wrist with no desire to leave.

Next my sister Julie had a session with Cindi the psychic. Julie swears she had never mentioned Susan but the session started with "Your sister in law is here" and a message to me. I was very low at the time and the msg said that I can not leave the planet before my time is up, and Susan will be waiting for me. Wow. Then I had my own session with Cindi. That morning I had gone to the airport with the new romantic interest who just had appeared in my life, and the primary message from Susan was that she didn't want me to be alone and would send me a new soulmate. Whatever you believe, that's a mind blowing concidence.

I have not had a loving dream of Susan. I had one where I had an affectionate encounter with a turtle, her totem, but nothing with Susan in human form. I even meditate on her before bed every night, which you might think would promote a dream. Sad about that.

• Like 2

I sure wish we could make those dreams happen.  The ones I’ve had about Steve were wonderful even if they made me extra sad waking up to the truth.  I might just want to sleep all the time to be with him.  I don’t know about signs or psychics, even with some interesting or odd things that have happened since he left.  The one thing I do know is he lives in my mind and heart.  💘

Shirley, I know what you mean about smell.  I miss that terribly.  I haven’t washed anything I kept of his as they are clean except his robe and the years have removed any traces.  Smell is so intense.  When sleeping in the dark, I could smell him.  We used the same shampoo but his hair smelled different than mine.  We’re all unique.  Knowing I will never have that again is like eating food with no taste.  TV being in black and white.  

• Like 2

Tom, I am a spiritual person, not a religious one.  I've been doing some reading on afterlife.  It sounds to me you are receiving messages loud and clear from Susan.  I, too, wish I could receive Stephen in conversation form, as I miss the conversation.  But I am grateful and accept the signs I am receiving.  It's all those little coincidences that really aren't coincidences.  I don't even ask Stephen if that was him.  I thank him for the sign and for reaching out to me.   I had participated in an online webinar about afterlife and was selected at random for a reading.  It was very special and comforting.  Interesting philosophy on afterlife, what happens to the transitioned soul and how our souls are eternally connected.  The journeys and the lessons.  

Gwen, I have  no dreams of Stephen.  It doesn't make me sad.   I am keeping a few items of Stephen's for me for the wintertime (although they'll be big for me, I can still knock around in them).  Some Tshirts, couple of sweatshirts, couple of jersey cotton pants, his favorite funky work socks (he was into stripes and bold patterns), and three sweaters.  On the top of the Tshirts, there is a purple one that he wore sometimes, but it wasn't cotton.  Stephen was a 100 percent cotton guy.  I was moving things around, took down the purple shirt, and sure enough, he had worn it and it had not been washed.  And it smells of him.  I smiled, folded it, and put it on top of the pile.  I know it's there if I need to feel a little extra love.

~Shirley

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

So last night I woke during the night and swear Stephen was in bed next to me.  I felt him distinctly.  And I wasn't sad when I realized he isn't there.  Just a deep soul peaceful feeling as I drifted back to sleep.

Last night a friend stopped by to pick up Stephen's business suits, dress shirts and ties to share with two very worthy causes.  I felt very content with that decision.  I know Stephen did as well. 

I love typing or speaking Stephen's name.  I do it all the time as I want to honor him and acknowledge his soul is still with me.

~Shirley

• Like 4

Shirley,

I'm glad you felt him next to you, I felt George's hand on my back/shoulder area once, it was a time I really needed calmed down, and I've only had that happen once.  It felt physical, like he was there, but we both know he doesn't have a body anymore, still, maybe they can feel like they do even so?  So much I don't know about what's to come, I just accept it at face value though.

My mom was widowed 33 years, she said one of the things she loved about me was my talking about Daddy, she said other people always avoided his name, like he never existed, she appreciated being able to talk about him with me.  Well of course!  I love talking about George too, they not only existed, they meant the world to us and still do!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shebert56 said:

So last night I woke during the night and swear Stephen was in bed next to me.  I felt him distinctly.  And I wasn't sad when I realized he isn't there.  Just a deep soul peaceful feeling as I drifted back to sleep.

Last night a friend stopped by to pick up Stephen's business suits, dress shirts and ties to share with two very worthy causes.  I felt very content with that decision.  I know Stephen did as well. 

I love typing or speaking Stephen's name.  I do it all the time as I want to honor him and acknowledge his soul is still with me.

~Shirley

That's nice, Shirley. I never had anything like that.

I also am spiritual and not religious. I was raised catholic but now am most interested in Tibetan Buddhism. Susan is now my higher power or spiritual teacher. Where the buddhists say visualize your master I visualize Susan.

Part of my nightly meditation on Susan is invoking her. I've made up a litany of all the pet/cute names I called her and recite it or chant it. When I needed an emotional lift Susan would say "Pat pat the 🐼" and pat my arm. I recite that a few times too.

• Like 1

@Tom, this is exactly my philosophy as well.  I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject and also practicing meditation daily.  Friends of mine who lost a son some six or so years ago shared quite a bit of reading material with me.  All of this helps keeps my soul centered and open.  Of course there will be grief along the way.  When that bubbles up, I sometimes go out in the yard and whack at a few bushes.😊

The past few days I feel a tickle on the back of my neck off and on.  I know it's Stephen's energy.

~Shirley 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kayc said:

I love talking about George too, they not only existed, they meant the world to us and still do!

Exactly, kay.  I talk about Mark to those who knew him, and recall things he used to do or say.  I've heard it said no one has truly died until their name is no longer spoken.  One of my favorite grief quotes is something I heard on "On Being" hosted by Krista Tippett.  "Grief is an incredibly difficult process, which takes time, because it is learning to get to know someone who has always existed as an external, physical being, who is now a purely internal being.”  I don't know who originally came up with this statement, unfortunately.

And I dream of Mark almost nightly but he almost never says anything to me in the dreams.  He's always focused elsewhere (and I think he is focused on his own "stuff" in what I call "over there" or "the other side.")  Although recently, one night I dreamt he came into the living room and told me to follow him downstairs.  So in this dream I followed him into the basement, and he was walking normally (for him) but he didn't talk, even though I said, "I'm so glad you're back.  I have so much to tell you!"  Down in the basement,  a short, frizzy-haired woman wearing a hard hat was busy working on the foundation, the walls, and rafters in the ceiling downstairs.  There were tools, work-lights, and materials around the basement area. She didn't look at me or talk, just kept intently doing her work.  He didn't say anything else to me, but they were clearly working together on getting something done down there.  Basements represent our unconscious, so I understand.  Possibly there's some work being done on my own unconscious.  It felt comforting, like someone knowledgeable was in charge.  A psychologist friend who has a knack for dream interpretation thinks this hard-hat woman represents my anima.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kieron said:

know someone who has always existed as an external, physical being, who is now a purely internal being.

I found it here, fifth paragraph from the end.  Not sure who originally penned it but I suspect it was written, perhaps in a book?

https://onbeing.org/blog/memoirs-of-a-griever/

My 18 year old daughter, who is recovering from a horrible car accident had something strange happen yesterday while I was at work. She was fixing herself dinner. She needed to open a jar of alfredo sauce. She just recently has been cleared to start using her left arm. She broke the upper part of her arm and has a plate in there. Anyway, she couldn't get the jar open. She tried and tried. She sat down at the table and was about to cry because there was no one else here to help her. Her hand was resting on the jar lid. After a few minutes of sitting there, the lid came off without her even twisting it. She knows it was her dad. She thanked him. 

• Like 4

Wow, Polly!  That's amazing!

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2018 at 7:48 PM, katie32188 said:

I recently started believing there is life after death. Before I was skeptical. When my dad died 12 years ago, I got no signs, ever. Or maybe I just wasn’t looking for them. 

But when I lost my boyfriend last week I started researching signs. 

Yesterday, I was sitting outside in the backyard. Usually I’m on my phone but for one moment I decided to look forward and I saw a feather falling down to the ground. 

I don’t know why but I instantly felt some sort of peace. And I genuinely smiled for the first time in a week. I felt it was my boyfriend letting me know he is with me. 

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? 

I lost my dear Wife Ellen in September last year - its still extremely hard but i was sat on my door step a few weeks ago looking at my phone and a white feather floated down and landed on my leg. And a few days before that where ever i went - in the garden or the churchyard -  to see my wife and there was white feathers everywhere.

• Like 2

Hello Paul, and welcome! I am totally convinced that those white feathers are a special message from your dear wife Ellen and are meant just for you ~ and I hope that you are convinced of the same. Thank you for sharing that with us. Warms my heart! ♥️

• Like 1

I've often heard of white feathers being a form of communication.  See this article: https://foreverconscious.com/messages-loved-ones-heaven  It can also be something that was special between the two of you (in our case, pansies).  It can be something peculiar happening, out of the ordinary so that it grabs your attention.  I came home one day to the side of my house covered in preying mantis mating...it was strange, I've been here 41 years and never seen that happen, but also found one on my front door knob prior to this.  It makes you wonder.  But when you see white feathers that much, it does sound like she's trying to get a message to you, perhaps just that she's okay or that she's still with you.  

14 hours ago, kayc said:

I've often heard of white feathers being a form of communication.  See this article: https://foreverconscious.com/messages-loved-ones-heaven  It can also be something that was special between the two of you (in our case, pansies).  It can be something peculiar happening, out of the ordinary so that it grabs your attention.  I came home one day to the side of my house covered in preying mantis mating...it was strange, I've been here 41 years and never seen that happen, but also found one on my front door knob prior to this.  It makes you wonder.  But when you see white feathers that much, it does sound like she's trying to get a message to you, perhaps just that she's okay or that she's still with you.  

oh yes. Right before Richard went into the hospital, we had a skunk that got into our basement through the kitty door. It sprayed in the basement. The night of my daughters cars accident after I spoke with the police officer and told me what hospital to go to, I was driving there and all of a sudden all I smelt was a skunk. The smell lasted way longer then it should have, Not the first time this has happened. I know when I smell that skunk spray smell for miles that it is Richard communicating with me. 

• Like 3