Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Brand new to this

I thought I knew what grief was or how I would handle losing someone I love because I have lost before older family members and a couple friends. My response was to cry and be sad then move on.

On October 4 I got a phone call that has changed everything for me. My best friends daughter who just turned 19 was found murdered. I had a special relationship with her she came to me with all the stuff she wouldn’t want to tell her parents. I helped raise her as her mom was a single parent and 19 herself when she had her. 

Now I have no control over anything I cycle from can’t stop crying to feeling as if I am not in my body and this is someone else’s life. I’m not functional although I try to hold it together as I am a parent to young kids and have a partner and career. This has completely knocked me down and all my defences are useless. I came here to not feel alone in this and to maybe feel as if I’m not actually losing my mind.

What you are feeling is normal under the circumstances, but feels anything but.  I am so sorry for your loss and especially the way it happened.  I can't imagine.

My dear, I am so very sorry for your loss, and I can assure you that you are NOT losing your mind. You are reacting to the traumatic loss of someone dearly loved.

Your story reminds me of two articles that I hope you will find informative and helpful. Please be sure to follow the links to some of the additional resources mentioned in each:

Mourning a Sister’s Only Child: “Where Do I Fit In?”

Traumatic Loss: Surviving A Child’s Homicide

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1