Grief Healing Discussion Groups

It's time for the holiday season to begin (Bah Humbug!)

6 hours ago, Gin said:

Just got word that my grandson had to go to ER because he had another epileptic seizure last night.  He s 26 and I feel so bad for him.

Gin, I'm so sorry, that's so hard!  I had an uncle with epilepsy and that was in a time when people didn't understand it, made it very hard for him.  Prayers going up for him.  Years ago there was a lady in my church that had bad seizures regularly, they'd last quite a while, she'd just have to stick it out, she always felt exhausted afterwards.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gin said:

Polly,. This is my 4th one without Al, also.  I will set the manger up and that will probably be it.  I am sure my daughter will want me to set up the little fiberoptic tree, but I do not feel like it.  Just got word that my grandson had to go to ER because he had another epileptic seizure last night.  He s 26 and I feel so bad for him.

Gin:  I hope your grandson is better this morning.  When I was a child, my uncle who lived upstairs in the same duplex with my family would have seizures. Hopefully he is home once again.

And this is my 4th one without Bob.  I too am trying to get myself into some kind of Christmas Feeling.  My Granddaughter will be spending the night with me on Sunday evening so I plan to have her help me decorate.  I have what I call a "Christmas Memory Tree" which is a tree made out of driftwood that my mother in law created years ago - it's not a typical Christmas tree to say the least.   The branches are wrapped in silver tinsel rope and small white lights and I hang my children's ornaments they made in grammar school (my kids are 50 and 44 yrs old now) along with other memorable Christmas ornaments and photos.  My two grand kids get a laugh at their Father's artistic ability.  I purchased a wreath from the Boy Scouts last weekend and it is hanging in my front entryway.  So hard to push through the pain of the loneliness, especially this time of the year.  Dee

• Like 3

Gin, I hope your grandson is feeling better by now, let us know how he's doing, okay?

This will be my 14th Christmas without George.  I'm sure many of you, when you first came here, wondered why I was still here.  One year turns into another, and another...you make your way through this as much as you can and then it all seems the same, trying to get through this the best you can.  I wanted to remain here for all of you, for the new ones that come...I remember those early days/months, the shock, anxiety, not knowing what to do, wondering how the sun could go on shining, how people's lives continue when mine ended on Father's Day 2005.  At least that's how I felt then.  I've learned in the years since, to look for good in each day, to embrace it, some days I have to admit, it takes a search to find some good, but always I look.  I know my Christmases will never be the same without him, how could they be?  He brought the joy and festivity to everything!  But so as not to get lost in the joy-stealing wallow of comparisons, I try to enjoy any little bit of joy I can find.  I signed up for Hallmark channels this year.  I will savor a cup of coffee or cocoa and enjoy the fire (which I hope the glass will stay intact).  I will invite George to cuddle up with me on our old worn out love seat/recliner that I just can't make myself replace and watch the happily ever after movies with.  In a world where there isn't enough happily ever after, I enjoy them, as predictable as they might be.  

I hope the best for all of your Christmases.  I know it'll be different than years past.  I think especially of Gwen and those suffering with pain and being alone.  Know when you are sitting there all alone, someone is keeping you in their thoughts.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Yup, I decorated for Christmas. I put a white vined Santa between the two reindeer, and a huge lighted wreath on the bay window behind them, along with other stuff...
I decorate because it does make me feel better.     When the house looks happier, I feel 'happier' .
I know my neighbors enough to say ''hi'' and have small talk, but that's kind of it.
I pretty much keep to myself.
I really only needed Iver. Now that he's gone, I only want Iver.
Anyway, with all my decorating, I can only imagine that they must be thinking... 'Boy, she sure is happy now that Iver's gone'.......lol
There's a study that claims that smiling, whether you're happy or not, produces a chemical reaction in the brain that can help you feel happier.
I am a smiling fool. I walk around the house smiling. I watch TV smiling. Heck, I'm smiling right now...
I really try to be grateful for what I do have, especially my health.
I feel great compassion for those of us who struggle with physical pain, in addition to the emotional pain. Just how hard does it have to be??
As always, you are all in my prayers, that God will help us.❤️

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.  Grandson evidently had several seizures before anyone found him.  He is 26 and lives in his own condo.  His friend found him.  His parents came and called ambulance.  ER gave him a drug for his terrible headache and tried to do an MRI on brain.  He reacted very badly to the headache drug and could not lie still.  He is back home and we are all checking on him.  He has appt. with new neurologist, but not until Jan.  He says he feels better.  The epilepsy medicine he is on makes him very depressed.  Hope they can find a good alternative.  He was diagnosed only about 3 years ago.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Gin said:

He is back home and we are all checking on him.  He has appt. with new neurologist, but not until Jan.  He says he feels better.  The epilepsy medicine he is on makes him very depressed.  Hope they can find a good alternative. 

Gin:  Glad to hear your grandson is back home and feeling better.  Keeping him in my thoughts and prayers that another medicine alternative can be found.  Dee

• Like 3

Gin, I'm so sorry he's going through all this, I do hope they can find something of better help for him when he sees them in January, do let us know, okay?  

I talked to a friend last night, he deals with winter depression and it's set in.  And he doesn't even have all my snow to deal with!

Friday and all night after I tended to my burning pile, got all my branches burned, yay!  Allergies kicked in full bore and I was exhausted.  Then had to shovel snow and get a load of wood in.  Worked at the church on month end books (reports, paying bills, payroll, etc.).  Came home just in time for it to snow some more, walked the dog, too tired to fix dinner.  Went to sleep at 7:15.  At some point my little sister called, don't know if I hung up on her or what, I found the phone on it's side this morning, LOL.  Glad to have the last two days over with!

Elizabeth (I love your name, BTW, it's what I wanted to name my daughter but her dad opted for Melissa), I know it helps to look on the bright side of things. We can't smile all the time though, maybe we should have plastic surgery to put a smile on our faces if it'd help the brain send us feel good messages!  

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 9:50 AM, kayc said:

Gin, I hope your grandson is feeling better by now, let us know how he's doing, okay?

This will be my 14th Christmas without George.  I'm sure many of you, when you first came here, wondered why I was still here.  One year turns into another, and another...you make your way through this as much as you can and then it all seems the same, trying to get through this the best you can.  I wanted to remain here for all of you, for the new ones that come...I remember those early days/months, the shock, anxiety, not knowing what to do, wondering how the sun could go on shining, how people's lives continue when mine ended on Father's Day 2005.  At least that's how I felt then.  I've learned in the years since, to look for good in each day, to embrace it, some days I have to admit, it takes a search to find some good, but always I look.  I know my Christmases will never be the same without him, how could they be?  He brought the joy and festivity to everything!  But so as not to get lost in the joy-stealing wallow of comparisons, I try to enjoy any little bit of joy I can find.  I signed up for Hallmark channels this year.  I will savor a cup of coffee or cocoa and enjoy the fire (which I hope the glass will stay intact).  I will invite George to cuddle up with me on our old worn out love seat/recliner that I just can't make myself replace and watch the happily ever after movies with.  In a world where there isn't enough happily ever after, I enjoy them, as predictable as they might be.  

I hope the best for all of your Christmases.  I know it'll be different than years past.  I think especially of Gwen and those suffering with pain and being alone.  Know when you are sitting there all alone, someone is keeping you in their thoughts.

I’m so glad you’re here kayc...the years have given you an insight and wisdom that I cherish. I am still very much a cork lost in the ocean, and your words offer hope to me when I have little. Your advice on finding something good in each day is an example, and I have made it a practice for myself each day. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1