Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Bad snow day

Chicago had a bad snow storm last night.  Lots of wind, rain and then a lot of snow.  My neighbor called me early to tell me that a branch from my tree fell on her electric wire.  She called Com Ed and so did I.  They are so busy with folks who have no power.  We still do.  Then I called the tree people to trim my big evergreen.  Or take it down, if necessary.  They were so busy also and never returned my 3 calls.  A lot of branches scattered all over our yards.  I tried to shovel my back stairs, but it was all ice.  Then the front  stairs and again I could  only do a little.  Went back out two more times and ended up falling. Called someone to shovel, and he said maybe tomorrow.  So,.  Forget shoveling!  Cancel a doc appointment.  Do not go to Bible study.   It is going to br VERY cold tonight.  Wait until Friday and it will rain.   This just intensified the grief.  Miss Al so much.  We used to do this stuff together as best we could.  He would shovel one sidewalk square and me the next.   I probably should leave the house, but I really do not want to.   I just have to calm dow

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Oh Gin, the last thing we need are reminders of how alone we are.  It sounds like you are housebound too just to rub it in more.  I can think of many trials of nature or whatever, but as long as I had him, I knew we would be OK.  Sometimes there was nothing he could do, but his presence gave me a sense of safety.  Are you OK from the fall?

• Like 4

Gin:  So sorry you sound so frightened but understand your grief intensifying your fear.  This being alone without someone to help us is so worrisome.  Since you say you have power,  just try to stay put and not get too anxious to get out.   Thinking about you and hoping the storm is over. Dee

• Like 1

Gin, I imagine the walls are closing in, but do be careful.  Rethinking what we do, and how we do it... I'm just learning that.  I am still wearing my Supergirl cape, but it's a little frazzled so I make myself try to rethink before I do.  Can't imagine dealing with snow, much less ice and the dangers that provides.  I hope you're doing okay after your slip.

Hugs,

Shirley

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gin said:

I probably should leave the house, but I really do not want to.

Gin,

I can relate so much, living in snow country myself and being alone to fend for myself.  Sometimes I wonder how long I can keep doing this.  I'll keep doing it "until".  

Your decision to go back inside and wait until Friday is probably a very wise one.  No more falls!  Were you hurt beyond bruising?  I hope it's not too bad.  

Eugene (where I grew up, about 60-75 miles from here) had a huge ice storm a couple of years ago and it resulted in the loss of a LOT of trees!  It took the companies months to get around to all of them and they had to do the most pressing first (those blocking streets, power lines).  They'll get around to you eventually.

I know it's hard to miss Bible study, etc. as it's so important to get out so we don't feel isolated.  For now, settle in with a quilt, a good book, a cup of cocoa, and try to enjoy the down time in this busy time of year.  I'm so glad you have electricity and you're safe!

• Like 3

@Gin, I injured myself on Thanksgiving, moved wrong or something and felt a snap, like something tore loose.  Last night it was hard getting comfortable to go to sleep, today it feels better but I know it's not gone.  Just not sure what it is, if it's a pulled muscle or what.  But I have snow coming this weekend, day after day, not sure how much until we get closer to it.  Kind of scares me, if I'll be able to shovel?  We'll see.  My life is too busy for this!  I'd planned to do the church books on Saturday (end of month), but alas sometimes life has other plans.  We'll see.  I may be the one in the comforter sipping cocoa and reading a book!

• Like 2