Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grief Healing and growth after Shock and AWE

6 hours ago, kayc said:

... BTW, thought you'd get a kick out of my car tore apart...it took my son one minute to fix it (cracked sautering in the control module) and almost three months to diagnose it as it was intermittent.  he went through EVERYTHING, hooked it up to his computer, hooked lights to it, one color if the motor went one way, another color for the other way, that's what helped, when no light came on, he knew he had a malfunction.  I teased him about sending me this picture to get my anxiety worked up...told him it wasn't working, I knew he could put it back together!  20 years ago it might have worked.  LOL

Volvo torn apart.jpg

WOW!  I would be nervous.  Your son is a miracle worker! - Shalom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Four years ago today, I was returning home from work and it was snowing.  I lost control of my car and spun out coming off of the exit ramp. I was going to tell my wife about my exciting adventure getting home only to discover she had died earlier. 

It took me a couple of weeks to find this group. The Shock and Awe of it all has eventually wore off and this wonderful group listened, shared, and cared from the start. At first, I could hardly breath, eat or sleep. It has been a long weary path.  Life is definitely different now.  I am striving to remember all of the great life memories we shared together and to learn from this grief healing journey. I thank everyone here who helps each other through this process.  We are all still learning.  - Shalom

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

George, my heart is with you today.  We know how difficult these certain days can be and hope you can find good memories of the life you shared.  Thank you for your sharing and caring with us as you always give us encouragement.  Hugs, Joyce

• Like 3

George, I wish I'd seen your post sooner...I tend to be here first thing in the morning and then off for the day dealing with snow.  Four years...I hope you were okay yesterday, I know the anniversary of death can be hard, at least it is for me.  The memories...

I hope today goes well for you as you go to church and I pray you will receive encouragement and refreshment for your soul today.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kayc said:

George, I wish I'd seen your post sooner...I tend to be here first thing in the morning and then off for the day dealing with snow.  Four years...I hope you were okay yesterday, I know the anniversary of death can be hard, at least it is for me.  The memories...

I hope today goes well for you as you go to church and I pray you will receive encouragement and refreshment for your soul today.

I'm okay. I had a good cry at 5:01pm. 

My sister has not called, texted, or contacted me since January 1st.  It still hurts that she only calls when Dad is sick or she needs something from me.  Yet she says that FAMILY is the most important thing and that we all have to stick together... Yeah... right.

I went to church and had a meal out with a friend this afternoon so it has been a good day.  Thank you and everyone here for caring.  - Shalom

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad you got that at least.  I haven't been able to go to church the last two Sundays and I'm really missing it.  I've been dealing with snow all February until I'm exhausted and yesterday woke up with Conjunctivitis so can't be around people until I've been on the Rx 48 hours, fortunately I still have Rx left from before.  Wednesday is going to be a "shovel all day" day.  :(

I won't even try to figure out your sister.  I'm sorry, it makes me feel pretty lucky for my siblings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After 56 days, my sister called because she needs my help.  She has a wake that she wants to attend tomorrow evening.  She wants me at her home by 5:30pm and doesn't plan to get back home until 10pm.  She said I could call anytime but I would need to leave a message because they don't answer their phone. - Shalom

Better yet, George. Don't show up and when she calls to find out why, tell her that you only converse with people when you can answer the phone. You don't take messages!

I'm sorry that's mean, but it angers me that she treats you badly and does not appreciate you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

What an awkward position she has put you in.  If it were me I’d decline.   Family dynamics are so tricky.  I got an email from my BIL to his daughter that has the same name.  When I pointed it out he said.....sorry, wrong Gwen.  That’s it.  Haven’t heard from him in forever, not even over the holidays.  I’m not feeling very nice with this quitting smoking so I shot back....nice catching up with you too.  Let us know what you decide.  I know we are more sensitive to let things pass as we know we could lose someone in the blink of an eye.

• Like 2

What an awkward position your sister has you in, George!  You want to be there for your father, but gosh she doesn't go about this well.  Me, being me, I would have to say something...you, you're probably too kind.  Grr, so I'll be mad at her on your behalf!  (I know, taking up an offense, not good, but human nonetheless).  At least I hope it helps to vent a bit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kayc said:

What an awkward position your sister has you in, George!  You want to be there for your father, but gosh she doesn't go about this well.  Me, being me, I would have to say something...you, you're probably too kind.  Grr, so I'll be mad at her on your behalf!  (I know, taking up an offense, not good, but human nonetheless).  At least I hope it helps to vent a bit.

Thank you.

I have come to realize that all of the talking and discussing just falls on deaf ears.  She hears only what she chooses to hear that fits her world and agenda.  Her husband has another Foot surgery scheduled for March 12 and as she says." we need to stick together to help each other".  She said she would be home by 10 pm and wasn't home until 11pm. 

My Dad is doing well and we had some good conversations. - Shalom

• Like 2

George, very sorry I didn't respond to your 2/16 post. Seems we both have traumatic sudden loss so I know very well the horror and empathize. I have also experienced disappointing response from Susan's family. She is oldest of 11 and her siblings grew up with me, and they all are fine if I contact them, but only 2 would ever reach out and ask me how I'm doing. Not what I'd expected.

Grief has been high in this 2 yr anniversary month. Swim practice is usually a time when I can forget the world but today I had a grief attack in the pool. My counselor says "don't miss this part" meaning live the life I have now, but I would like to miss the part without Susan.

Best wishes TomPB 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad you got some good time in with your dad, but I wish she'd have made it home sooner, considering you have to get up and work the next day!

• Like 1

My sister asked me to clear my schedule so I could watch Dad while her husband is having foot surgery scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday, March 12.  I have not heard from my sister since I stayed with Dad a couple of weeks ago. 

Since then business has picked up and I have several new clients. One of them needs to be cleaned on the same day because of their schedule.... so I was dreading to make the call to my sister.  I have always managed to help somehow.

So I called her last night, Sunday, at 7pm. She tells me of all the stuff she has been through. She had to put her cat to sleep because of massive cancer in her abdomen on Thursday.  She never bothered to call me.  This hit me hard because another friend of mine dog (sheltie) was accidentally run over backing up and perished.

Then she proceeds to tell me that her husband's scheduled surgery was CANCELLED on FRIDAY because his blood pressure is too high.  She never bothered to call me at all.  When I asked her why, she just said, " I am just so busy and stressed out.

As my Mom says, " I am as mad as a hornets nest". 

Isn't that just wonderful.  I had a terrible nightmare last must be because of all this.  I forgive her but it will be harder to forget about this.

On a brighter note, my physical exercise routine is improving (allowing more time for muscle recovery and healing) and I continue to shed more excess inches and fat as I fine tune what I am eating.

I am looking forward to having more work and staying busier to grow my business.  Keep pressing forward. - Shalom

• Like 2

George, I encourage you to tell your sister you need to have a week's notice (or whatever you think you need) especially when it affects your work.  For her to spring things on you and then not even bother to let you know when it's canceled is inexcusable.  We're all stressed, I'm not saying she isn't, she has a lot on her plate, but these are things she willingly took on and for which she will be rewarded monetarily as your dad is leaving everything to her.
It seems your sister doesn't have the ability to put herself in anyone else's place (yours) and that unfairly burdens you with having to point things out to her that she should consider.  Think of her as handicapped...you have to help her see things.  I'm sure this is getting annoying.

Congratulations on your hard work and effort paying off!  That you are doing this exercise and having great results with it is amazing, esp. since we aren't 20 anymore!  Keep up the good work!  Also congratulations on your business growing, your hard work there is paying off too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank you. kayc.  I went to my  chiropractor for an adjustment and he is so amazed at my progress. I have been seeing him for ten years.  He tells me I need to write a book? 

Then he tells me about this guy he helped twenty years ago and how now he is a successful pod-caster, publisher , and great generous guy.  Small world.  Come to find out I found his work early on this KETO journey and follow his work, listen to his podcasts. We have met several times and his genuine.  

My prayers are being answered with an increasing workload. Amen. - Shalom  

• Like 3

Wow, sometimes it goes to show what a small world this is!  I've never seen a pod-cast, don't even know what you get them on, goes to show how old I am and how far behind tech-wise.  But I know you, you can do anything you set out to do!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kayc said:

Wow, sometimes it goes to show what a small world this is!  I've never seen a pod-cast, don't even know what you get them on, goes to show how old I am and how far behind tech-wise.  But I know you, you can do anything you set out to do!

Podcasts are audio episodes about various topics.  I have a smart phone. the app is iTunes.  And i listen to about 10 different shows with a variety of topics.  You can also view many of them on YouTube and learn just about anything you want to learn.  KETO, Weight resistance training, Comic (Chad Prather), Two KetoDudes, Dave Ramsey, Clark Howard, etc...  Thanks.  😎 - Shalom

• Like 1