Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grief Healing and growth after Shock and AWE

I like Dave Ramsey, have read his articles and somewhere have a book of his.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I went to a funeral/praise service of a longtime friend.  I caught up with several people that i haven't seen in a long time. I prefer to not go to them but I do to honor and respect the family. I was not triggered by grief or the great quantities of treats that I used to eat.  It was just about gathering with friends and listening to each other.  It was a peaceful and solemn day. - Shalom

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have been very busy with much needed work and business growth.  I'm still following Ketogenic living (23 months now) and getting healthier.  Today I will hit a new milestone as I attempt to complete 3 sets of 30 leg squats in my normal physical exercise routine.  I continue to keep progressing to stronger and healthier ways to eat, move, and live.

This is my fifth time around the calendar without my beloved Rose Anne. I am focusing this trip to be really engaged in the NOW(today) and learning to evaluate how much my FEELINGS are tied to my thoughts and actions.  Feelings are not good or bad but how my brain see them can color my day.

I woke up yesterday and today more melancholy than usual. I realize that 31 years ago today is the wonderful day that I first met my beloved Rose Anne. It rocked and changed my world.  I till miss her every day.  I don't think that will every change.  I have learned not to stuff,hide, eat, etc.. over these feelings.  I just let them come and then release them.  It is all a part of life.

The dynamics of my native family has deteriorated and I am just learning to accept it as it is.  My sister called again as she needs me to help her with her plans.  She gets passive aggressive when things don't work out according to "her" plan.  She can own her own feelings.  I chose to disconnect and distance myself from that drama.  I did have a wonderful conversation with my Dad on Tuesday and he is doing much better.

May is a challenging month with lots of wonderful memories and sadness.  Such is life.

One day at a time... marching forward to the mark.  - Shalom 

• Like 4

George, my son and I talked last night and he told me his BP is 120/62 and his cholesterol is low, all his numbers are good, A1C great, still on KETO maintenance.

I am proud of all you are doing and how you are handling the family dynamics, good for you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kayc said:

George, my son and I talked last night and he told me his BP is 120/62 and his cholesterol is low, all his numbers are good, A1C great, still on KETO maintenance.

I am proud of all you are doing and how you are handling the family dynamics, good for you!

This is great news about your son's health.  Praying for your surgery and healing. - Shalom

• Like 1

Remembering my Mom today. It was her Birthday and I miss not being able to surprise her and show here how much I love her.  She taught me everything. The love of reading, playing, learning and just having fun.  She made us feel special and taught me how to take care of myself. (Cooking, cleaning, ironing, washing.drying, folding, sewing, crocheting, knitting, canning, etc...) Sweet precious memories of a simpler life.  Happy Birthday, MOM.  I love you! - Shalom

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I usually don’t pay much attention to Mother’s Day since it’s been almost 20 years she has been gone,, but I have really been missing mine too.  She encouraged my talents, drive me crazy with her neurosis, had a daughter that tried her very soul with rebellion, but was always there with loving arms when needed.  After I moved out I would go take naps in her bed on Sundays after partying Saturday nights.  I loved her smell.  We put up with a lot from each other and that bond is so special.  How easily resentments or discord fell by the wayside when we needed each other.  I got to give back to her when I grew up and she started losing my aunts.  I’d hold her for a change while she cried.  Steve and his mom were tight too.  No one better come between them.  I wish she hadn’t been 38 when she me, but if she hadn’t I wouldn’t have met Steve.  I know she loved him and reminded her of my biological father with his looks, slick talking and charm.  

Love ya mom!  Maybe Steve is talking her into a drink Sunday.  I hope so.  💖

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Today is my wife, Rose Anne's, Birthday. I woke up melancholy and blue. This is the fifth birthday she is celebrating in heaven. I really miss her today.  I continued a tradition we started years ago. I bought a meal ( non-KETO) and thoroughly enjoyed it with her.  I am reminiscing about our life together. The meal tasted good but it is just not the same as being together and present.  Happy Birthday, my love. - Shalom

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Hoping today goes less melancholy for you.  George's birthday and death anv. is coming up...

Those days are tough, no matter how many years out we are.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This time of year, our city has a Jubilee festival with a beautiful fireworks display in the evening.  This happened tonight and I stood outside my home watching it and remembering the last time Rose Anne and I watched it together. I oohed and awed just like we did before while being bitten by mosquitoes.  Tonight, she didn't get bitten.  - Shalom

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 5/17/2019 at 8:02 PM, iPraiseHim said:

Today is my wife, Rose Anne's, Birthday. I woke up melancholy and blue. This is the fifth birthday she is celebrating in heaven. I really miss her today.  I continued a tradition we started years ago. I bought a meal ( non-KETO) and thoroughly enjoyed it with her.  I am reminiscing about our life together. The meal tasted good but it is just not the same as being together and present.  Happy Birthday, my love. - Shalom

I feel with you, George. In June and July I have our wedding anniversary and Susan's birthday within 3 weeks. I remember all the good things and the precious rituals but the loss is still the main thing I feel. 

• Like 3

Today is my birthday and I am having a good day.  I worked this morning and took off this afternoon to enjoy some rest and relaxation.  This is a new experience that I am accepting as it is.  Work scheduled tomorrow and all of next week.  I take each day as it comes.

My sister called on Wednesday to ask if I still plan to follow "This KETO Diet thing?" I told her, that after two years, this is the best I have felt and I enjoy this way of eating and living.  So YES!  I plan to eat this way for the foreseeable future. She didn't understand.... Oh yeah, she wants me to sit with DAD again...on June 6th her husband has another foot surgery scheduled.    My work schedule is very busy so I'll see what I can do.   - Shalom

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

George, Happy Birthday!  I'm glad you spent some time on YOU, you're worth it and need it.

Give your dad/sister the time you can afford but no more, you do have to work for a living, it seems she views your work as "flexible", but doesn't think where the hours come from that you miss.  I'm sorry about your BIL, I hope he has a speedy recovery.

10 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

"This KETO Diet thing?"

When I was doing Prism (4 1/2 years) my coworker asked when I was "going to eat normal again".  That WAS "normal" for me!  I looked and felt better, so what did she care?  I felt her judgment eking through her words.  Some people there's no getting them, just try not to let her get to you.  It almost makes you want to ask how long she's going to stay fat?!  I know, I wouldn't but geesh!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kieron said:

Telltale tracks of the green monster, I'd say!

Could be, but I never do think of hasty comebacks when I need them, maybe it's just as well! ;)

Oh!  The things I think of saying if I had the chance again.  Used to be good at witty comebacks, but ya olde brain just doesn’t work that fast anymore.  It took forever to retrieve the word 'lifesaver' (the candy) yesterday in conversation.  One time I couldn’t think of the word microwave and said......you know, that box that heats frozen stuff.  I know it happens to everyone, it’s now that it is happening more frequently thst it’s kinda depressing.  Sometimes I wonder how much are all the meds I have to take being old.  I miss the days I took an aspirin and that took a lot to need some.  Only drug in the house too.  Now the place is a mini pharmacy.  Add in grief and it’s a wonder I can remember my own name.

pulled a good one the other day.  Had to have tires replaced unexpectedly and was feeling pretty good I got it done til I was backing out and hit another car.  Not a lot of damage but enough to ruin what I felt was an accomplishment since I’m so sick of solving problems and it put the kabash on everything I had planned to do.  At least so far everyone I’ve told has done it too.  Only time I have caused damages.  Usually it’s only to my car with poles or barriers.  Don’t think I will get my car fixed.  It’s not that bad and I haven’t the motivation to do much of anything but get thru another meaningless day.

ive only been up 90 minutes and had my oxygen tubing ripped from my face by a skittish dog, had it knock over a glass of water onto the coffee table and carpet and snag 4 times.  I hate living on a leash.  

Supposed to be 80 or more here tomorrow after days of low 50’s.  This is crazy!  My run of negative luck has me wondering if there is such a thing as karma and what I could have possibly done to be such a target lately with the ER, tires and range hood light breaking.  Porch light going out and I can’t reach it on the stairs.  The worst thing I’ve done is snag a mandarin from the kiddie bin at the store.  Sure seems high punishment for such a petty crime.  .

waiting for a call from the on call doc as my thyroid meds were changed and am feeling really strange.  Wondering why I bother when I really would rather be with Steve.  He’d make everything OK or give me reason to want to fix it.  I’ve yet to figure out how to live a purposeless life.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

One time I couldn’t think of the word microwave and said......you know, that box that heats frozen stuff.

I had to laugh at this one!  Happens to me all the time!  My son says it's because my brain is cluttered, I need a defrag.  Just haven't found the button for that!  I don't forget things, it just takes longer to reach them, like maybe a few hours!

I'm sorry about your car.  I already scraped a hubcap on a curb, wasn't used to how wide this car is.  As long as your car is still in alignment (they can check it wherever you got your tires, usually for free) and you have no broken lights, it should be okay if you have a dent or two to live with.

I hate living on a leash.

I had a close friend who went through that, he hated it too.  It's a tall price for air!

Is there a neighbor you can call on to change the light bulb?  I know as I age, these things become more challenging.  I think most men would feel good about being able to help with something simple like that.
I had my range hood taken out years ago, never missed it.  The only time I used the fan was when I was cooking fish and I've been allergic to that for 35+ years.  The electrical hook up is tucked away in the ceiling should anyone after me care to install another one.

Wow, 80?  We're still in the 50s and low 60s daytime although they're predicting low 70s later in the week.  Rain today.  True Oregonian weather!

Wondering why I bother when I really would rather be with Steve.

That's what I wonder sometimes.  But the thought of going through the death process doesn't sound fun either.  I think there must be something built into us, a survival instinct or something that overrides what we feel we want.

Okay, you've had more than your share of bad luck, now time for something good to happen for a change!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Yesterday was an interesting day!  I called her to wish her a happy birthday and her 30 minute conversation put me late to work.  I hit heavy traffic so arrived later than I planned.  Then my client (who hardly ever talks) was bending my ear for another twenty minutes... Then I received several phone calls, vacuum broke ( I brought a spare). So I finished up an hour later than usual.  I stopped by a friend's work for a short visit ( and hugs) and she decided to fix me a KETO meal for my birthday.  It was delicious...

My car inspection is due this month and I wasn't able to get it inspected on Wednesday. As I was driving to Planet Fitness, I got a prompting to just stop by the car inspection shop and see when would be the best time to come on Thursday.  Timing was perfect! They inspected the van, fixed a minor issue and it passed with no additional charge. It has freed up this morning.. I felt like I won the inspection lottery.

While waiting for the inspection I spoke with another fella who has diabetes and loves airplanes.  His conversation got me stirred up to pursue my dream of flying.... he seemed interested in the low carb lifestyle to combat diabetes.

The state inspector remembered me and commented that I had lost a lot of weight!. I shared KETO, IR(Insulin Resistance), and how to keep from getting diabetes.  He was intensely interested.  I thanked him for his work ( and tipped).

You never know how a day is going to turn out.  

Today is another hot day (95) and it is 87 in the home right now.  However I have a cool bedroom and bathroom thanks to a window air conditioner and God's Grace.  

Work continue's to pick up... I have another estimate for work this afternoon.

I just keep pressing forward to the mark. 😊 - Shalom  

• Like 4

How great that you and your friend could share birthdays and KETO at that!  I haven't had KETO food I didn't like yet.

• Like 1