Grief Healing Discussion Groups

ANYONE have any UPDATES on SUCCESS stories and HAPPY endings?

Does anyone have any positive outcomings?

This is in regard to SO's shutting them out and going silent/withdrawing from their partner during grieving ………..  when you give them "the space they need"  ……. did ANY of the SO's  come back and reunite and be in a relationship with you again??

I really would like to feel better about my situation by hearing any uplifting stories that, yes, love CAN survive the grey period

THANKS!

I wish i could say yes. My partnet and i had been together 6 years. Her mom died last May. We grew closer together because she depended on my emotional and practical support. However in October my Dad became very sick and i started to heap all my anxiety onto her about him. She ended it with me Dec 12th because she couldnt handle all my grief on top of her own. We have stayed friends and she has told me she is keeping her heart open to me and only me but she needs to put herself first. Currently i am now looking for nursing homes for my Father and she came to a couple with me last week. However i am finding it very difficult to be just friends and can feel myself slowly detaching. She always asks me to stay at her place and initially i would. However it was like mental torture having to sleep in spare bedroom. She asked me to stay tonight but i said no. Anywag i do hope to have a success story for you all but in my heart of hearts i dont there will be one. The fact that i cant handle being just friends with her whilst she figures herself out is too hard. I would love to hear if therr are any success stories too!!

Our "positive outcome" is that we are really good friends when all is said and done.  He never tried to get me back, and that's okay.  He's finally getting help for his issues, after all these years.  I have no desire to be a "couple" after all is said and done, I love him, care about him, but I can't fix him, don't want to change him, his issues and decisions are his.  I continue to live alone, neither of us have dated in the 8 1/2 years since we broke up.  I might date if I liked dating, but I don't, and I'm 66, kind of tired of all that, just want peace so it appears I'll go through the rest of life alone unless God drops someone down from the sky in front of me. ;)

But you're asking about positive outcome...we are very close friends, we can tell each other anything, really talk to each other, we understand each other and are there for each other, as much as we can be when we live 75 miles away from each other.  He recently came very close to death, to the brink, that was hard, but he's pulling through, for how long, I don't know.

I've accepted what is.

• Upvote 1

While both of the situations that brought me here ended in heartbreak, I now consider them to be a positive outcome and "happy ending."

Six years ago, just before turning 22, the man I'd been with 7 years, lived with and was engaged to, cheated on and left me for another girl. I was devastated, heartbroken and had to rebuild my entire life from scratch. It took a lot of emotional work to move on from an imagined future that would never be.

Two years later, I graduated from college after spending a semester abroad in Scotland and traveling The UK, Spain and France. For me, this was life-altering and made me realize my future was no longer 'ours,' but mine to build in any way I saw fit, and that's exactly what I've done since. Joe and I are friends on FB now, and talk from time to time, I don't hate him anymore. In fact, I'm grateful for him showing me exactly what I did not want in life. Had we married, we'd be miserable and divorcing now. We were both spared this fate. I consider this a "happy ending."

I began dating Tim in 2014, he watched me walk the stage as I graduated from college. His father died in Fall 2015, and he shut me out and left me, not once, but twice. Heartbreak once again ruled my life, but on top of that, I was miserable in other ways: my crappy job, unsupportive friends, and lingering, constant loneliness. 6 months after I chose to exit his life, I was offered a job in another State and moved away. It was one of the best things I could've done for myself.

Since college I have visited 19 countries solo, I speak 3 languages fluently, and have rebuilt my life on MY terms, without a significant other. I am the happiest I've been since I was under 18 and have gained a lifetime of perspective and wisdom, and I wouldn't change it for a thing. While my romantic relationships may have ended, what I've gained from losing them is more fulfilling than either relationship would've ever been.....

I consider my outcome a Success Story & Happy Ending, too. Just like KayC. Just because a relationship ends does not mean the world does.

--Rae :)

• Like 2

I so agree, Rae!  We look at it differently after we've had time to heal from the break up.  A couple does not have to remain as a couple for you to be happy...you can learn and grow from your experiences.  When you're in the early heartbreak there is a desperation (for lack of other term) to have that coupledom back, it's important for you to give yourself the necessary time to get through this period and to see yourself through your singledom, happy and whole.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to say yes. Although I'm the one that kept pushing my boyfriend away and needing space. My husband passed a little over 3 years ago. My boyfriend's long time girlfriend passed about 2 and a half years ago. We met at a grief support group. There was an instant connection between us. We started doing things together. Then started dating. It was hard for me because I still have my youngest living at home. She is 19 now. She doesn't think I should be with anyone. Bill and I have been dating for a little over 2 years. I have broke it off with him about 4 times. This past Oct. he asked me to marry him and I said yes. A month and half later I broke it off with him again. My daughter was happy. As the weeks and months went on, I did a lot of thinking and crying. I have realized that my daughter was trying to control me. I was doing what she wanted not what was in my heart. Three weeks ago we ran into each other. I was worried that he may have moved on or found someone else. He thought the same. We are dating again. We have talked about everything and have been honest with each other. We are best friends. We cant imagine our lives without each other. We are slowly working towards what we both want out of this. That is to one day be husband and wife. 

• Like 4