Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Losing my sister

My sister/best friend was diagnosed with Multiple Meyoloma in October.  She has a tumor on her right hip that put her in a wheelchair.  I moved her to my home in San Antonio and we started radiation and chemo.  We finished the radiation and were in our second week of chemo when she suddenly took a turn for the worse.  We went to the ER and they put her in ICU.  Her kidneys failed.  We were sent home with Hospice last Wednesday.  She is in a coma now almost gone.  I think I’m going crazy.  I can’t think straight, having nightmares and migraines.  It’s happening so fast.  I cry and cry and then think I have no more tears but they come again!  Maybe I am crazy

No, Catherine, you're not crazy, but this crazy grief can make you feel that way!  I lost one sister in March and came very close to losing my other sister this summer.  To top it off, she was diagnosed with dementia, so in a way I feel like I'm losing her little by little as she's not the same as she used to be, we can't talk like we used to be able to.

I'm very sorry you're going through this, it's good that she has you.  I'm glad you have hospice, they're a godsend.  You'll be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this.

I agree with Kay ~ it's good that your sister is receiving hospice care, and I hope you will avail yourself of all the services hospice has to offer the family as well as the patient being served. Don't hesitate to ask for the support you need and deserve ~ and know that we are here for you as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My only sister who is 10 yrs younger was recently transferred from home to rehab/nursing home due to primary progressive MS.  There is nothing I can do other than show up and be there for her.  She will be celebrating her 42nd birthday there...and things can't feel more wrong.  I feel like I've gone crazy and back again.  So much sadness.  

I'm so sorry that this is happening to your sister. You say that there is nothing you can do "other than show up and be there for her" ~ but please don't underestimate the importance and the value of doing just that. More than anything else, your presence is what your sister will appreciate the most ~ and it is indeed the most priceless gift you can offer her.

I hope you find the resources mentioned in these articles to be helpful: 

Anticipatory Grief and Mourning

Anticipatory Grief and Mourning: Suggested Resources

• Like 1

LadyJane,
I am so sorry.  I lost my sister a year ago this coming Friday.  I'm sure it means a lot to her when you're there, I pray for comfort as you go through this with her.