Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Cookie became a football fanatic

With today being the day for the super bowl, it triggered me into remembering how much fun it was for Cookie and I to share a game together. Because I grew up in Norman Okla. I have always been a die-hard Okla Sooners fan. All sooners fanatics bleed crimson & cream. Everybody in Oklahoma knows not to plan a wedding or a funeral on a Saturday during football season because nobody will come. Everybody will be at the football game or glued to the TV set. But I digress.

Cookie spent most of her life being the complete opposite of a football fan. She never understood the game so she thought it was silly. While I was a trucker, I was rarely home to watch a football game. But in 2003 I decided to try something different. By then we both had cellphones on an unlimited minutes plan. So on a Saturday when OU was going to play Alabama I talked her into narrating the game play by play via our phones. So on a Saturday while I drove from Albuquerque to Kingman Arizona we spent that entire time connected to each other with our phones. And by the time the 4th quarter OU football owned Cookie. And that started a tradition for us during football season. This silliness may be hard to understand but all those hours on the phones kept us connected. There is a very high divorce rate with truckdrivers, and Cookie and I both totally refused to become part of that statistic.

So, if Cookie was still here with me we would both be glued to the TV this evening, and she would be whooping and hollering with the me. I miss those little things that we shared. Oh, well----

One foot ion front of the other...

Darrel

• Like 3

Darrel, your post made me smile.  When Stephen and I were dating, we watched the superbowl together one year via phone and webcam (in that we lived two hours away from each other).  It was one of the most memorable days, and we talked about that for years.

That silliness bonded you two eternally.  

I have watched just bits and pieces of football this year.  Stephen was counting the months before football season.  I know he's enjoying it though!

~Shirley

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, shebert56 said:

Darrel, your post made me smile.  When Stephen and I were dating, we watched the superbowl together one year via phone and webcam (in that we lived two hours away from each other).  It was one of the most memorable days, and we talked about that for years.

That silliness bonded you two eternally.  

I have watched just bits and pieces of football this year.  Stephen was counting the months before football season.  I know he's enjoying it though!

~Shirley

Shirley, it sounds like you and Stephen had a fun super bowl that year.  I find that the smaller experiences we shared are where I get some of my best memories. I pretty well kept up with the football I'm interested in, but it definitely isn't the same without Cookie's excitement. Once I got her hooked in 2003 she looked forward to each season as much as I did. Even after she became pretty much bedridden we would watch the games in the bedroom, and she would still manage to dredge up her weaker level of excitement. 

She will be here with me in spirit this evening when it's game time. Thinking about all this has me really missing her today. But that's okay. If I'm missing her that means I'm thinking about her, and us together. And there is nothing else I would rather think about than her!

One foot ion front of the other...

Darrel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olemisfit said:

Thinking about all this has me really missing her today. But that's okay. If I'm missing her that means I'm thinking about her, and us together. And there is nothing else I would rather think about than her!

I just love what you said here, Darrel. You are such a dear ~ and I'll bet your Cookie is right there, watching that game with you tonight ♥️

• Like 2

We used to go down to the Chinese restaurant and bar that was our 2nd home.  Always a buffet and lots of regulars.  We’d only stay for a quarter as we reordered the game to watch the commercials.  Neither of us really liked football unless the Seahawks were playing.  😁

• Like 2