Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Starting Over...Again

I moved to this small town in northeastern Oklahoma from the Houston area shortly after hurricane Harvey wreaked its havoc there in Sept. 2017. My wife and I tried our luck with living there 2 different times. Both times we had to endure a hurricane. My wife wasn't here to "enjoy" Harvey. She had already passed, so I enjoyed Harvey by myself. I spent most of my life in Oklahoma and have never seen a tornado up close and personal. 

I now have an opportunity to transplant myself one last time in the Houston area. The same town I left after hurricane Harvey. League City, Texas, which is about halfway between Houston and Galveston island. I will be back down there on or before May 1st. I'm actually quite excited about it. I have something pleasant to look forward to. What a nice change of pace that is.

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

• Like 6

The moving idea is working out for me......the new faces, surroundings, and environment in general, kickstarted my life again....I still have Grief 24/7 but also have a life trying restart....Those Hurricanes and the area where you moved to deserve a 10 year break....good luck

• Like 5

Darrel,

I wish you well with your move and hope there are no more hurricanes!  Oregon doesn't seem to get hurricanes but we've suffered other storms, the latest one just five weeks ago, it won't be anything I'll ever forget and hope never to endure one like it again.  Good luck with your fresh start!

• Like 2

Darrel, sending you blessings and good wishes for your upcoming move!

I will be doing the same in the next six months.  Moving from Florida, where I have zero family, back to about an hour west of New Orleans (where all of my family is).  I experienced my share of hurricanes during my years in Florida.  And yes, I'm going from a smaller hurricane target area to a larger one.  I was born and raised there and have experienced many hurricanes and know the drill.  But for me it's going back home where I belong.

New horizons, new adventures!  

Hugs,

~Shirley

• Like 5

We may not have hurricanes but we're sure getting the storms!  Right now it's like a monsoon...nearly 10" in four days/nights!  Flooding, landslides, closed Hwy (only way in/out of town), car submerged in water, closed alternative route, trees across road, it's a mess!  I posted pictures on FB of it, it's scary because the snowstorm they named snowpocalypse we had the end of February put a LOT of trees down that they are still dealing with and they are coming down in droves with all this moisture, along with mud.  No one can go to work today and we had church yesterday with no electricity, heat, sound, etc.

Good luck both of you with your moves!  It'll be good to be "home" where you feel more comfortable.

• Like 1

Good heavens, Kay ~ You must feel as if Mother Nature really has it in for you! I'm so sorry that your part of the country is getting hammered with so much awful weather! I'm sending your way my sincere hopes for sunshine and better days! ❤️

• Like 2

Darrel 

Best wishes to you on your move. Hope all goes smoothly and safe. Moving is a very stressful thing, but so happy for you that you are moving towards a place that you look forward too.

I have moved twice in the 2 and a half years since I lost my dear Michael. I’ll spare everyone the unhappy details, but I think part of my motivation was trying to run away from my grief and trauma.

Needless to say it didn’t work, as I can’t escape from me, wherever I go, there I am.

Please know I always think of “one foot in front of the other” when things are darkest for me.

Thank you for that

• Like 5

Thank you dear for your kind words. I'm sorry that your moves didn't work out well for you. You are right...we can't run away from ourselves. Later this month I will actually be moving back "home" (as in "home is where the heart is").  After I retired to be my wife's caregiver we moved from Okla. City to the Houston area, to get her to a milder winter climate. And because she loved being near the ocean. While she was still with me she loved it when I drove her down to Galveston island. I would park at her favorite place on Seawall Blvd. She loved to sit there and just watch the waves coming in. I'm looking forward so very much to when I am back down there. One of the first things on my agenda after I get back down there is to drive down to the island. Just me, my little dog, and my wife's urn reconnecting with the water. As Lawrence Welk would say...A-Wunnerful---A-Wunnerful!

Darrel

• Like 5

Darrel 

that sounds like a great plan!

i am in Kentucky now. When I was a child we would come here in the summer to visit my uncles, aunts & cousins. I loved it so much, those trips here, had the best of times, and I always loved horses (used to ride in my younger days)

Of course now everyone has passed away, except for a couple of cousins.

I always wanted to live in Kentucky since those days, but of course wanted Michael here too.

it is bittersweet and a cruel twist of fate that I finally came to live here, under these circumstances. I am here to stay though, and my dogs are very happy here, and their happiness matters most to me now .

it reminds me of “be careful what you wish for, you just might get it”

• Like 1

Darrel, keep us posted on your ventures!  Wishing you the best with this move!

• Like 1

CairnLady,

My daughter lived near Glasgow, Ky out in the country. Such a beautiful green place, but oh so humid in summer and icy cold in winter. I have been there many times.

Darrel,

Wishing you the best in your move. Third times the charm, you know so maybe the hurricanes will leave you alone. I was born in Houston, but have not been there since I was about 5 years old when we moved to dusty west Texas.

• Like 2

This is NOT to discourage you, Daryl.  It just got me to wondering when Karen brought up the 3 thing.

as a kid I heard 2 saying, the charmed one and the baseball one.  Never knew which way it was gonna go.  

I’m, of course, wishing you charmed. 🦋

It's inspiring that the moving idea is bringing some comfort to you guys, Darrel and Kevin.  I think I will be doing that by next year.  It will be 4 years since John died in this house in our bed in June, and I just haven't been able to get past it.  I will have to sell this little piece of heaven in North Carolina in the mountains, but it's a big property and is stressful to maintain anyway.  Don't have any idea where I will go yet, but think a change could be helpful.  I finally bit the bullet and started an antidepressant, something I said I would never do.  Just haven't been able to shake the anxiety I've had since the day John died.  It's a small dose of Prozac and I'm really hoping it helps.  It's worth a try.  I know I will never get over losing John, but hope for some peace.....Cookie

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/8/2019 at 10:52 PM, olemisfit said:

Thank you dear for your kind words. I'm sorry that your moves didn't work out well for you. You are right...we can't run away from ourselves. Later this month I will actually be moving back "home" (as in "home is where the heart is").  After I retired to be my wife's caregiver we moved from Okla. City to the Houston area, to get her to a milder winter climate. And because she loved being near the ocean. While she was still with me she loved it when I drove her down to Galveston island. I would park at her favorite place on Seawall Blvd. She loved to sit there and just watch the waves coming in. I'm looking forward so very much to when I am back down there. One of the first things on my agenda after I get back down there is to drive down to the island. Just me, my little dog, and my wife's urn reconnecting with the water. As Lawrence Welk would say...A-Wunnerful---A-Wunnerful!

Darrel

The best of luck to you, Darrel....Cookie

• Like 1

Oh, you started the med. I answered you in another topic.  Anyway, moving is a big stressor indeed.  Brat went thru it too.  Pros and cons to all decisions.  You’ve had 4 years to think on it.  Your heart will guide you.  It’s just dangerous to make that kind of decision in the first couple years.  Whatever you do, you know we’re all here for you.  How’s you fur baby?  I forget his name, so sorry.  Hugs to you.  🦋

• Like 3

Janice/Cookie, hoping the medicine helps you, you've given it a real try without it, it's time for some relief...and with your decision to move I hope you find that place that grants you peace, you deserve it!

• Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 10:52 PM, Gwenivere said:

Oh, you started the med. I answered you in another topic.  Anyway, moving is a big stressor indeed.  Brat went thru it too.  Pros and cons to all decisions.  You’ve had 4 years to think on it.  Your heart will guide you.  It’s just dangerous to make that kind of decision in the first couple years.  Whatever you do, you know we’re all here for you.  How’s you fur baby?  I forget his name, so sorry.  Hugs to you.  🦋

Gwen:  My baby's name is Rio....he's such a love bunny now.  The med I started in Prozac, small dose, mainly to address the constant anxiety I haven't been able to shake and I'm so tired.  The moving thing will have to happen just because I can't afford to keep this place up....$300 a month just for property maintenance.  It's a beautiful spot, my husband built the house.  If I could figure out a way......anyway, it's a way's off, a year, maybe two.  Don't have any idea what comes next, just trying to find any way to stay sane.  Thanks for your input, Gwen....hugs, Cookie

• Like 1