Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Terrifying Nightmares

It has happened twice since my husband, Jeff, died on March 28, 2018. The first time I was dreaming that I was asleep and someone kind was talking to me and saying I am so sorry this is about to happen, but I cannot help you. Then some evil entity is there to take my life away in a very violent and painful way. I woke up terrified and could not go back to sleep without the light on.

Last night a similar nightmare occurred where I dreamt that I was asleep and that same evil entity was there tearing my body apart. It was painful and a lot of blood. I woke up and could not move. I was paralyzed with fear because it seemed so real. In the dream the entity said something like I told you I would get you BITCH!

I eventually went back to sleep, with the light on. But, when I woke up this morning I still feel the effects of that dream and I am in fear that I am going to die a horrible death very soon. 

I have nightmares sometimes, but never anything that felt this real. And never where an entity seemed so real. 

Is this part of grief?

• Like 1

It's certainly possible that bad dreams and nightmares can be a part of grief. See, for example, Nightmares and Bad Dreams in Grief

The question you may be asking yourself is "Why now?" It may be related to your just having past the one-year anniversary of your husband's death, which understandably may have stirred up memories associated with his death.

As I mention in the article, if you're so troubled by nightmares or recurring disturbing dreams that your ability to function during the day is affected, it's important to know that effective treatment is available, and I encourage you to follow some of the suggestions you will find there. 

• Like 1