Missing My Fancy

Devastated By The Loss Of My Best Friend

@Buster's Mom  I went through something similar with my cat, King George.  I took him to ER on a Saturday as we only have a vet here on Wednesdays.  They treated him for a respiratory problem (he had green mucous coming from his sinuses under his eye) and gave him antibiotics.  He didn't get better so they renewed the Rx.  When he came to the end of that and was still bad, I took him to my usual vet. It was cancer.  He showed it to me, he also told me to imagine the worst head cold I'd ever had, multiply it by 1,000 and that's how this cat was feeling.  I had him put to sleep.  I was very upset that the expensive ER hadn't done more than a cursory evaluation that resulted in my cat going through miserable unnecessary suffering the last month of his life, he was 19 and he deserved better than that.  I'm sorry you went through misdiagnosis too, it can be really hard.

• Like 1

@kayc thank you for sharing that, I"m so sorry you had to go through that with King George.  I know vets and doctors are just people, and they are fallible just like the rest of us, but it's difficult to go through nevertheless.  I wish we could spare our pets all pain or suffering. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your support, Buster's Mom.

I'm sorry you had to experience something similar to what I went through with my Fancy girl. It's been a month and a half since I said goodbye to my soulmate and I still can't quite wrap my head around it. There are moments where, out of nowhere, a crushing wave of grief hits me and I'm forced to consider the reality of not having her here with me but there are other moments where I'm unable to fathom the loss I've suffered. It's like I entered into a parallel universe or existence where things aren't the way they're supposed to be and I feel a sense of denial about the situation. I live my life the way I normally do but things aren't normal because I don't have my baby girl with me. This process of grieving has been emotionally, mentally and physically exhausting.

I thank you for sending love my way and I wish love, peace and healing for you as well.

• Like 1

That's a very common grief feeling, it can take a long time to fully realize they're gone.  It keeps hitting us again and again until it's sunk in, and it feels surreal.  It is QUITE exhausting!

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2019 at 12:42 PM, Missing My Fancy said:

Thank you so much for your support, Buster's Mom.

I'm sorry you had to experience something similar to what I went through with my Fancy girl. It's been a month and a half since I said goodbye to my soulmate and I still can't quite wrap my head around it. There are moments where, out of nowhere, a crushing wave of grief hits me and I'm forced to consider the reality of not having her here with me but there are other moments where I'm unable to fathom the loss I've suffered. It's like I entered into a parallel universe or existence where things aren't the way they're supposed to be and I feel a sense of denial about the situation. I live my life the way I normally do but things aren't normal because I don't have my baby girl with me. This process of grieving has been emotionally, mentally and physically exhausting.

I thank you for sending love my way and I wish love, peace and healing for you as well.

I know exactly what you're going through. I lost my beautiful girl on May 7th and I still can't believe it's happened. She was so intimately woven into the fabric of my life, I wonder how it can still BE my life without her. This monstrous, enormous grief is so big I think my mind will only let me see glimpses of it. These glimpses slay me and stop me in my tracks. I've come to hate my memory, for forgetting that she's gone, because every time I remember, it's like losing her again.

• Like 1

I'm so very sorry for your loss, JulesR. You hit the nail on the head with everything you said.

She was so intimately woven into the fabric of my life, I wonder how it can still BE my life without her.

This is EXACTLY how I've been feeling. My Fancy wasn't "just a cat" or "just another pet". She was my other half, my best friend and my soulmate. A constant loving presence in my life for the past 11 and a half years. Without her I feel less than who I was and I keep wondering when my new existence without her will start to "click" and make sense to me. I go to sleep at night with her cat bed next to me and she's not in it, purring up a storm. I wake up in the morning and she doesn't come hurrying over to me for breakfast. When I go to visit my parents she's not next to me in the car. I've been going about my days constantly thinking about her, crying and missing her with all my heart and soul, wondering when I'm going to feel a sense of wholeness again.

This monstrous, enormous grief is so big I think my mind will only let me see glimpses of it. These glimpses slay me and stop me in my tracks. I've come to hate my memory, for forgetting that she's gone, because every time I remember, it's like losing her again.

Ditto. That's how it's been for me, too. Not having my Fancy with me has been a crushing, insurmountable loss and the "glimpses", at times, have been utterly devastating and debilitating (although thankfully they're becoming somewhat less frequent). A few Saturdays ago I sobbed for about 2 hours straight and I still felt no relief afterwards. I've never cried like that before in my whole life (and I've lost quite a number of family members over the years, both human and animal). I cry when I see her carrier in the living room, knowing she'll never go on another road trip with me to her Nanny and Pappy's. I cry when I look at the spot on the floor next to my bed where she was sitting right before I took her to the vet for the last time. I cry at work at any given time because I know when I get home she won't be here to greet me and make me feel better. My Fancy was a constant source of happiness and comfort in my life and I had so many kisses, hugs, snuggles and pettings left to give her but now I won't be able to give them to her (at least not in this life).

Thank you for sharing, JulesR. I'm sending thoughts of peace and healing your way.

@JulesR  I am so sorry.  Your grief is still so raw and fresh, it can take quite a while for us to process it, for it to sink in.  I hate the getting hit afresh again and again.  Sending peace and comfort your way.

• Like 1