Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Happy Birthday, Mitch!

I hope you're having a good birthday!

HB.gif

• Like 1

For me it's hard to imagine a happy anything.  I had happiness when Gord was alive but with his death came the end (death) of happiness.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner @mittam99.  I hope you did something kind for yourself.  If Tammy was here you would be celebrating a happy birthday, I am hoping you had a pleasant day.

• Like 2

Marita, my heart goes out to you. Actually my birthday is today and I decided to take the day off from work. I'll just try to "enjoy it" the best I can in my own way on my own terms. 

That's a very poignant comment you made about the death of happiness. How do we ever feel happy again when our happiness was based on sharing love with our beloved? Now alone, with that love as just a memory, life feels painful and the sweetness seems to be gone.

Early on in my grief I was sort of "appalled" by those who quickly found happiness or met a new love soon after losing their partner. It seemed so wrong. But, in hindsight, I realize they were able to find a measure of happiness by doing so. They were just doing what felt best to them. In my case, I know that Tammy was my one and only true love. Now, I just need to figure out how to find that elusive sense of happiness and contentment on my own.

Mitch

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mittam99 said:

Now, I just need to figure out how to find that elusive sense of happiness and contentment on my own.

And I hope you will, I believe you will someday.  Just don't fall into the comparison trap, it's a killjoy.  We're all pretty aware anyway that nothing will be the same again even if we have moments that feel happy, that's the best I hope for.

I hope you found something enjoyable to do today!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kayc said:

I  hope you found something enjoyable to do today!

Even if it is crying.  I really notice how I push that aside when it can be so cathartic.  Steve told me he cried one birthday in his 20’s because his whole family forgot and he felt so alone.  It’s awful losing a day that was a ME day because we are special to people.  Let us know how you are doing, Mitch.

• Like 2