Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Dad's birthday is coming up.

My dad's birthday would have been the 16th this month which also falls on fathers day this year.. The past week has been pretty difficult for me as it gets closer to his birthday. Mom said we'll make it a nice day, but at the same time... i know i'm going to fall apart.. last year he had to stay in the hospital and the nurses came in and surprised him with a cake while singing happy birthday to him. Luckily i was able to take a video on my phone and post it to youtube.. I know he isn't tired or suffering anymore but it doesn't change the fact he is gone..

• Like 1

You are right, Kayla, it's a consolation that he's no longer suffering but it doesn't detract from your pain of missing him.

One of the things I did when my husband died was my daughter and I would fix something he'd like for dinner and have it in his honor.  But then I also felt bad that he couldn't be eating it.
It's hard to get through those days we would have celebrated with them once they're gone.  Sending you love and support.  My hard days are coming June 14 (his bdy) and June 19, (his death day) and also June 16 (also his death day as it happened on Father's Day that year).  We'll hope for okay days together.

We are planning on doing something special for his birthday. I'm going to get balloons so my kids can write on the balloons and let them go. My youngest  (she's 6)was very close to him and lately she's been crying a lot. When dad passed away, my mom and I told her and she didn't say much or cry but i think she didn't believe us at first.

• Like 1