Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Living with Loss

kayc

It’s so hard to throw anything away isn’t it, no matter how tatty. I still have Archie’s favourite toy bunny in his bed, well what’s left of it, he had chewed it so much it’s just the head left! But it still smells of him, for now . Wish we could turn back time, it’s been 4 weeks since I last saw him, I can’t believe yours is nearly a year. I am dreading all the anniversaries, Christmas and birthdays coming up in the next year. Does this feeling ever go 

• Like 1

My sweet Arlie, it's been one year since you left me, it's hard to believe I am still here even though you're gone. I was so blessed to have you in my life, you were the best dog in the whole world! My sweet boy, we were a team. I miss you more than I can express. Everything about you, I loved your size, how you'd hold me up while I cleaned out my shoe when going on walks. You were such a good boy! Your goofiness,, the games you made up to play with me. Your incredible sense of humor! I remember accidentally calling you Kitty and you grinned! I've never seen a dog with such a developed sense of humor as you. Your communication was the most developed I've ever seen in a dog, the tonal language that gave different meanings to different sounds, and you always understood me. And the best watchdog in the world! You'd scare the snot out of anyone you thought didn't belong there, but they didn't know you were really a gentle giant at heart. You were the smartest dog I've ever had! Which meant I had to be on my toes sometimes. I still remember, that last month or so when you learned how to open the gate! I went outside to check on you, and there you were, standing there grinning, at the top of our place! You didn't run off, but you were teasing me, wanting to know what I'd give you to come back! I yelled, "Pizza!" and you came running, beat me into the kitchen practically! What I miss most is your smile. You put your whole heart and soul into smiling! You'd breathe hard and your body would go up and down, Rich used to call you "Ole Huff & Puff!" You'd lay on the couch, eyes closed, that beautiful smile spread across your face, no one could match it...I could look at you for hours! How I wish I could see you there again, put my arms around you, watch you smile. I love you. I always will.

Here you are, even with cancer, smiling.

Arlie 061619 sm.jpg

@Archie11  Thank you.  I think those of us here had the best, we had something worth mourning about.  Wishing you the best also!

• 5 months later...

Today would have been your 13th birthday.  Not a day goes by but what I think of you, my Valentine dog.  I love you and always will.  I wish I could kiss you sweet face.  I hope you're enjoying yourself with other dogs also awaiting their owners to join them.  :wub:

• Like 3

Thank you!  That's so sweet of you.

• 4 weeks later...

I lost my dog two months ago and since then I've been incapable to show affection and attention to other dogs. People expect others to be affectionate to their pets but I can't do that naturally, I feel I'm being forced to show attention to their dogs cause that's the right thing to do with animals. I loved my dog so much, but just my dog it seems.

• Like 1

Oh Ana, I am so sorry for your loss! It was the hardest thing in the world when I lost my Arlie, a close second to losing George (if that, hard to compare losses, it felt devastating!  Getting through this is much like getting through loss of partner, it affects our everyday lives and routines, our interaction was great.  

I wouldn't worry too much about other people's dogs right now, do what is best for YOU and you can always tell others you lost yours and can't handle it right now.  Each loss is unique but our dogs are our companions/children/best friends, it's tough, I well know...(((hugs)))

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 6:47 AM, MartyT said:

I totally understand your not wanting to prolong Arlie's suffering by putting him (and you) through any expensive and futile treatments.

I just noticed this...the problem is my "friend" was pushing something that had never been proven effective (by a nobel winner that had entered dementia before coming up with his "idea"), it was giving vit. shots, and would have meant driving Arlie several hours every week when he's already suffering and all for naught!

I would have moved mountains to save his life if anything had been available.  His LIVER was already shutting down!  I got two months ten days more with him, that was more than I could have hoped for.  

I didn't need someone pushing their hair brained idea at me when I'm still in shock from his prognosis.  It seems people do not know how to "be" with grievers.  I didn't do that to HIM when HIS dog was dying!  All I ask for from people is respect, respect for our grief, respect for our decisions, respect most of all, for our animals and what they're going through.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Three years today....never forgotten, sweet Arlie, love you always and continue to miss you.

• Like 1
  • Like Copy 1

Arlie, thank you.  

Trust me, I know!  My hands stutter with my hand injuries, I'm constantly proofing but sometimes miss it. :D

• 11 months later...

Four years ago today, my sweet Arlie...never forgotten

• Like 1