Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost cat

Kellyw

I recently lost my sweet baby girl and I mean physically lost her. I have hopes that she is not dead, but it has been 6 weeks now so I am beginning to lose hope that she will ever come back to me. I am struggling to move on and find myself bouncing all over Kubler-Ross. I feel guilty because I was not here when she became "missing" and my parents did not notice for over 24 hours until I got home and asked where she was. She is indoor/outdoor since I rescued her at age two since she had a uterine infection she would have died from if I didn't take her to get fixed. Since then we became inseparable and she was the first cat that really loved me and always wanted to be with me. Although she has been outside she always comes home multiple times a day so this little jaunt is very unusual and I am worried someone may have dumped her somewhere. I keep having horrifying ideas of her being out in the woods all alone and scared and unable to find her way home. She is my best friend and is always at my side so it is difficult to be in my house without seeing her. I actually painted my bedroom and rearranged furniture so it would be somewhat easier not to notice that her little bed wasn't under my vanity anymore and instead out on the porch in hopes she will smell it and come home. I still think every time I pull in the driveway she will be in the front yard waiting for me and run to me like she always does. I am considering going to a grief counselor, but it is almost impossible to find one that has experience in pets. It is more difficult than I would have imagined it would be to lose her, but I think it is the uncertainty of where she is, why she left, is she safe, is she scared, etc. I applied to adopt another cat which makes me feel guilty but I just have hopes that loving and saving another baby may help and that way when she comes home she will have a sister! If anyone has experience with this can you please let me know how you dealt with it. I pray every night that she will come home and that she is safe, but it gets harder everyday no easier.

• Like 1

I am so sorry for all you are going through.  Sometimes I think their going missing is the worst because we worry if they are okay and never have closure, wondering what happened.  I lost my Miss Mocha June 3, 2016, I know she wouldn't have left her home, she loved it here, she picked it out!  I don't know how old she was, but I had her 10 1/2 years, she was in great health.  I think a cougar got her because we're in the country.  I had a memorial stone placed for her in my back yard where my other pets are buried. 

For a long time I'd look at the patio door to see if she wanted in, but she never appeared.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this position, I know how hard it is.  

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2014/10/pet-loss-when-pet-goes-missing.html