Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Dryer - oh god It happened to my baby cat too

Charisa

I am soul sick. A little less than a week ago my hubby was loading a huge black comforter into our dryer and, unseen to him, our Luke (he had just turned one) hopped in under the blanket. Hubby didn’t think anything as he had not seen Luke around, in general, at that time; he had no clue what had happened under his line of vision. 

We heard a thumping and the dryer had shifted but that happened a lot especially with wet comforters. They tend to ball up in my dryer - so we didn’t think anything. I even shifted it back into place. :( good lord i shifted it back into place!!

I can’t get my head around this. Hubby found him and kept saying “the cat didn’t make it... I’m sorry.. dryer”. Hubby is an Iraq Vet, he’s seen some real horrors... this broke him.  

I refuse to blame anyone because we could all drown in the guilt. I can only pray he went fast, though i am so terrified and haunted knowing he probably did not. What was he thinking?  Was he waiting for me to save him?  I had just laid down for a nap as I’m recovering from hysterectomy. I haven’t really been able to sleep since. 

I want to scream but there’s no where to do this without the cops getting called. I want to send my sympathy to all of you who’ve had this, or any type of pet loss, happen.  

Always load at eye level. #lookout4luke

• Like 1

Charisa, I'm so sorry that I did not see your post until just now. You are not alone. Unfortunately this sort of accident happens much too frequently, and it hurts my heart each and every time when I learn of yet another one.

You may find these posts to be of interest:

Curious Cats Get Killed in Clothes Dryers

Curious Cats Still Getting Killed in Clothes Dryers

I too did not see this, it must not have highlighted as unread, so sorry to be here so late!  I am very sorry for your loss, I didn't have a cat killed in a dryer but my beloved dog, Fluffy, snuck into my van unbeknownst to me, I drove to work, hot summer day, windows up...it was a shock to me when I got off work and opened the door and he rolled out into my arms stiff as a board.  I'll never forget that moment.  

I'm glad you're not berating yourself, it doesn't help.  We wish we could go back and make a different choice, be more vigilant but alas that's not an option for us, all we can do is learn going forward.

It does help to memorialize your pet, I don't know what you have planned for that, but here's some ideas:
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2013/03/memorializing-pets-we-have-lost.html
http://www.griefhealing.com/memorializing.htm

I hope thoughts such as this bring you comfort: