Sign in to follow this  
lattiee

Loss of Poppy

Back here agai dealing with another guinea pig loss which is way more confusing as sometime after june 6 Poppy started to rapidly lose weight so fast n wasnt able to chew his greens then all he would do would just lay down . Then he ended up with the runs . We took him to the vet they gave him a teeth trimming n health exam plus fluids but he was worse after the vet visit.. then he passed two days after the vet visit n i told the staff poppy passed n they were like what what you think happen n i am like thinking why dont you tell me i sent him to you guys to get help . So june 13 at like 1030 was when he passed as i am wondering what happened and how come the vet couldnt tell you know. Boogies his brother is still fine no weight loss ,eating ,drinking and normal bathroom duties. He is a bit more skittish after the loss of his brother. Poppy was 2 n half years old so pretty young as his n boogies 3rd bday us in october so poppy gets to spend it in heaven. Sometimes i wonder if poppy was pepe spirit coming to visit for a short time to gain the time i lost with pepe because when i said poppy it always seemed he responded more to the p sound . Who knows it sure is different and i thought iif i really protected them gave them the bezt of best they would last a longer time but poppy didnt. We thankfully still have boogies who is a eager beaver for food but in part of my mind how lobg does he have is it going to be soon or will it b more than a year left. Could he live longer than fuzzy as fuzzy passed on at 4 yrs n 3 months n boogies 3rd bday is in october.

• Like 1

Oh lattiee, I am so sorry!  Your vet should be explaining to you!  Vets should fully explain the risks beforehand and should be able to give explanation afterwards if they die.  There IS risk involved with anesthesia, I don't care what any of them say, otherwise how come so many deaths?  My heart quit on the operating table when they were doing surgery (gallbladder removal, nothing complicated), it was do to be over-anesthetized, they had to give me thrusts to the chest to restart it.  If a human can die, how much easier for something so little?  I watch Dr. Jeff Rocky Mountain Vet all the time and they never have animals die for it, I think it's because they're good vets and lots of experience, know what they're doing, but some of them, I wonder.  Up here we only have a vet once a week or we have to travel to town 1 1/2 hours away, every time we get a new vet and attendant, they don't do surgery or teeth cleaning here, just exams and shots, draw blood.

You'd expect it'd make it through something so routine, it seems you're always facing loss, I'm so sorry!

For sure i know the risk of anthesia but i dont think they really understood what the matter was with poppy in the first place and they were not syringe feeding him either. After i spent time for poppy to make it thru. N to be a strong boy n heal thru this bad stuff even lit many candles praying to god its like after god having poppy pass its like i start to really feel like i am losing belief in god you know

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lattiee said:

its like i start to really feel like i am losing belief in god you know

I get it, I truly do.  Try not to worry about that right now, it's actually common in early grief.  I didn't doubt belief in God, but when my husband died, that first year I felt like God was a million miles away.  Now I understand it better, it's not so much that He was removed as my grief obliterated everything.  And of course in early grief we're asking "why" and not getting answers.  We wouldn't be able to understand, I imagine, if we were given any.  I don't think God goes around punching buttons and saying, "Oh I think I'll bring this one home today and devastate this other person's life."

Rather we're in an imperfect world with imperfect bodies and they don't last.  It IS the hardest thing in the world to go through!  But I found later on that God had indeed been carrying me through it all, I just couldn't see it at the time.  Go ahead, flail on His chest, He's big enough and strong enough to take it.  And He understands, He truly does.  I think His heart breaks when ours is.

I do in reality think poppy was more of a special needs piggy as we had thought of him to b blind n he had these twitches off n on thru out in his life n he was already a pretty jumpy boy. There is a possible chance maye he he had a huge brain clot in him that burst which caused his jaw to become paralyzed who knows but at least boogies is doing good still which i am glad about. Even tho i am pretty cautious with him since hes pretty jumpy at times after poppy passed so i dont want him to have a fly out feak out epusode like he did a few times just went into a scared panic motions .i am also aware boogies could b even possibly gone before he turns 4 yrs old as this oct is his 3rd bday. N fuzzy passed 3 months after his his 4th bday.  Its like he could make it to 6 like my first piggy did but hardly any make it to 5 yrs old. So boogies is pretty much a strong boy n i thought that of poppy but after poppy death i keep an eye on boogies checking his health n fearing that his time is more shorter with us like fear he will b leaving soon also even tho he is well in eating drinking n normal bathrooming because i wasnt expecting poppy to get something mystery like n then he is gone after a short amount of time.

• Like 1

You're a good mom.:wub:

• Upvote 1

So far two weeks from today is when poppy passed. I still miss that big fella when he was a big boy at times i am still in shock and i start wondering what was it. I sure do miss heading into the cage to give him a pet with hearing the loud durring noise oh i loved that big boy. Plus my computer broke so if it was working i be playing wildtangent games to keep myself distracted as without it is like i am yawn bored trying to figure out what to do. We thankfully still have boogies and mr blackie but after the loss of poppy boogies gets scared so much easier even of brendan whem boogies would give brendan tons of nose kisses n face kisses now boogies gives me tons of hand kisses but cant relax on my lap like he used to be able to do as i think he doesnt like sharing the lap alone. Plus brendan always been so loud so i dont know why the usual sounds brendan made in the past with his phone or voice loudness of brendan is making boogies so scared of him is it because he more senstive due to the loss of poppy if so how long will it be until boogies starts relaxing again. Boogies is still eating n drinking n normal bathrooming

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I know it's hard.  I honestly don't know which is worse, the anticipation I'm going through or the aftermath later on, both bad.

Why does life have to be so hard?

So confusing thats for sure. Now with poppy loss i just start to ponder am i going to lose boogies this year or will i be healing from poppy loss to end up losing boogies after a year of losing poppy and then would the year after that be the lost of our cat and then i could also be dealing with my son being in college somewhere out of state or out of the city since he has only 3 more years of highschool.

My mom had a saying, "Don't borrow trouble." and I think that holds here, try not to think about what "could happen", take each day as it comes, hard as that is sometimes.  God gives us grace to handle what we must even though sometimes we feel it stretches us to the limit, with His strength.  I don't know how I'm going to get through what comes, but much the same way I had to when I lost my husband...one day at a time.  (((hugs)))

This sat marks 1 month of poppy being gone. Its hard to believe and many times i wonder why and what happened you know. Many times after I lost fuzzy I thought maybe if I did all good stuff for them and gave the best of the best stuff for them that they woukd live longer. I feel so bad for leaving poppy at the vet trying to get him help abd they neglected him he couldnt handle being in new places on his own. I do miss him tons.

• Like 1

You aren't the first one to worry about leaving their pet at the vet, it's hard because we can't explain to them.  My heart goes out to you, I know this weighs heavy on you.  Just know that now Poppy understands and doesn't hold any grudges, but knows you love him and did your best for him.  (((hugs)))