Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My cat passed away last Thursday night in my arms

Betty Potash

Cali was my first pet I inherited from my younger son 13 years...She was diagnosed with hepatitis 4 years ago and was on alot of meds.......I had a special bond with her.......I am grieving the same way as when my mother passed away 2 years ago......there  are 2 other cats in my household also inherited from my older son.......Also today is 36 years since my father dided...so I am going through alot of sadness right now......

• Like 1

I'm so sorry, Betty ~ but grateful that you've found your way to this warm and caring place. We know first-hand the pain of losing a cherished animal companion ~ especially when the bond is a special one. You say you're grieving the same way as when your mother died two years ago. Please don't judge yourself for that. The relationships we have with our fur babies in many ways are quite different from those we have with people. The love we share with them is unconditional and uncomplicated. I imagine that your Cali was a constant presence in your life ~ one with whom you shared your most intimate thoughts and feelings ~ and losing her is not the same as losing a person. Give yourself permission to mourn your Cali, and also recognize that it is normal for a present loss to call to mind all the losses you've endured before, including the loss of your mother.

I invite you to read Pet Loss: Why Does It Hurt So Much?  

I am so sorry...I just lost my soulmate in a dog, Arlie, Friday, to cancer.  It hurts like it did when my husband died, I never though losing a pet would hurt this much, I've had 23 dogs and cats in my lifetime, but this is by far the most painful, my heart is broken in two.

It does help to express yourself and know there's others going through it that get it, so I'm glad you made your way here.

I hope this brings you comfort:

You have had many pets in your life....This was my first which I inherited from my younger son....I have 2 other cats from my older son.......Cali fought a long battle with hepititis......She fought to live in spite of 5 medications ..........She was the daughter I never had.........Have you had any experience with getting messages or visits with your deceased animals?

I just lost Arlie Friday.  :(  I did experience something from my husband once, it was his hand on my shoulder/back, I needed it then more than ever.  Other than pansies springing up in cement, rainbows or butterflies appearing, things like that, nothing huge.  

My baby, Arlie, was my life...two days before he died, he wanted to go see his friend (dog) Sammy, we walked down there and he played as best as he could muster, then walked home snail pace, panting all the way...I think he knew he didn't have long and wanted to see her once last time, I'm glad he made it.

Yes I've had many pets, but this was my soulmate in a dog, my close companion for 10 1/2 years, my beloved boy.  He stood a head and tailwag above the rest.