kayc

Memories of Arlie

Kay, your memories of Arlie are precious. This reminds me of Marley and Tatum. I eat in front of the TV with my plate on an ottoman, one dog on each side waiting patiently as they know they will each get that "last" bite. I love it.

• Like 3

The last seven weeks it's been the hardest thing to eat my "last bite" as I always did the same with Arlie, so long as it was something he could have.  He memorized what he could and couldn't have too, and would come up to me as I reached my last bite!  What a study they make of us!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

One day I was opening a lower cupboard to get something out when the phone started ringing.  I made a grab for it, it went dead.  I ran for the other phone and answered just in the nick of time.  All of a sudden I hear this noise in the next room…Arlie was gobbling down some mouse poison in the open cupboard!  I hung up the phone, called ER, an hour+ away, and away we went!  I drove down there, got inside, they wanted to take his weight, he wasn’t having it.  I told them his weight and they took him back, locking me outside…telling me they’d call me when ready for me to pick him up.  It was a couple minutes from my job so I went to my office to wait.  Finally they called and I went to retrieve him.  They said he growled at them so they couldn’t get the charcoal down his throat.  Why hadn’t they called me to try?  They only had a short span of time to get it down him and now it was too late!  I told them if Arlie had wanted to bite them, he would have bit them, I would have growled too if  a stranger tried cramming charcoal down my throat and wouldn’t let my mommy stay with me!  They sent out a letter blackballing him from vets in the area and told me I’d have to wait six weeks to find out if he’d live through it or not. Fortunately, he did.

• Like 1

Another time I was feeding him, I opened up his dogfood container and scooped out his food, putting it in the bowl, when the phone rang.  I turned to answer the phone (I should have learned by now) and when I came to I realized he’d been scarfing down dogfood as fast as he could!  I don’t know how much he gulped down before I caught him gulping down water and he was starting to pooch out the sides and hurting!  He was literally crying he hurt so bad.  I called the emergency vet and they said to bring him in.  I told them he couldn’t sit down, how was I going to drive him 1 ½ hours away?  They said, never mind, to walk him, it aids digestion.  Oh, and they told me not to let him throw up!  (How are you supposed to stop a dog from throwing up?) My son and I walked him for hours, and he did throw up, it seemed to relieve him a bit.   

• Like 1

One day Kitty was sitting on the stepstool in the kitchen when Arlie came in to see about his food.  She reached out and blopped him with her sharp claws, narrowly missing his eye.  He reached out and very gently blopped her back, being careful not to hurt her.  He’d had enough and needed to show her he wasn’t going to just take it.  She looked all mad and sharp and ran off in an indignant huff!  I told her it served her right, to quit being mean to him, he didn’t deserve it.  I couldn’t believe how gentle he was even at teaching her a lesson.

• Like 1