Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Not grief related

Marty, I was going to write this to you privately, but maybe others wonder too. Why is there now 2 options in posts.  One is reacted to, the other says upvote it, I think.   Just curious as checking now on who was affected by it, related to it, whatever is a 2 fold deal.  The new one feels like a Facebook kinda thing.  I do hate Facebook.  😎. Was there an upgrade made?

I put this in this forum as I don’t read any others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are three options, Gwen: Like, Upvote and Thanks. They are open to interpretation, but are meant to give readers different ways to respond without having to leave a lengthy response. I see Upvote as saying "I am here and I have read your post" while Like says "I read what you've written and I like what you've said." 

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification, I tend to hit like to acknowledge a post, but sometimes am in a quandary when what the person wrote is understandable and you feel for them but don't like the content, which is much of the time as the content is hard!

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 8:25 AM, MartyT said:

There are three options, Gwen: Like, Upvote and Thanks. They are open to interpretation, but are meant to give readers different ways to respond without having to leave a lengthy response. I see Upvote as saying "I am here and I have read your post" while Like says "I read what you've written and I like what you've said." 

I am more confused now than before. I thought it meant just the opposite.  Now I have no clue how to respond.

• Like 3

Don't worry about it, we'll take any kind ofa response. ;) 

• Like 4

I’m just sticking with the heart as it is what I’m used to.  If I relate I want the writer to know.  If I don’t, then I don’t or write my own post to say why, I feel inclined.  George, just do it the old fashioned way.  Saves brain cells.😎

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Gwen, here's my take on it as a forum owner/admin and avid online poster.

It seems to me the options that work best are Like and Thanks. Like works for something that you agree with or maybe that even makes you smile. Thanks is even more straightforward for something that is helpful.

The Upvote choice is tricky.

Upvoting was originally used on Reddit as a method of supporting a post. When people upvoted, the post moved towards the top of the list of posts. The more upvotes, the higher towards the top the post went. Since upvoting doesn't actually move the post here, I'm not sure it fits.

• Like 4

That’s why I was wondering where it came from.  It was never here before.

Marty?  Did you do an upgrade?  It’s really no big deal, but different than what we’ve been used to and now 2 places to see who was affected by your post.

• Like 1

It's been there for some time now, Gwen. The only thing I added most recently was the "Thanks" button, which seemed sensible to me, since I've often felt the need simply to say "thank you" to someone's comment. I guess I'm not understanding why these buttons are so troubling for you. Would you prefer that we have no buttons at all? I do think they give members different ways to acknowledge someone's post without having to say anything further . . .

• Like 1

Oh no, they aren’t a problem, Marty.  The 'thanks option is grayed out for me, tho I wish it wasn’t as I don’t always get it as a choice and it would be a good one.  I stick with the heart as it works fine and after Mitch explained upvoting, there seems no use for it here.  We definitely need the reaction button so people know they’ve been heard.  I’m fine and dandy.  This wasn’t supposed to get so complicated!  My bad.  😎

• Like 2