Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Having a hard time

musicluvr1991

So i've been having this weird mental tug-of-war with myself for a while: there's a part of me that's like 'you're being stupid, you shouldn't still be feeling this way after nearly 3 years, get over yourself' and then there's the more logical part of me that's like 'well of course you're having a hard time, it's an incredibly horrible difficult situation to have to deal with, you lost someone important to you way too young' and i kinda feel silly even talking about it after this long

• Like 1

You feel what you feel, and there is nothing "stupid" about it. When you first posted here two years ago about the death of your friend, you said that you had lots of support from your parents and friends ~ but perhaps a session or two with a qualified grief counselor would be of benefit now. You see, if we don't deal with grief effectively, it has a way of just sitting there, waiting patiently until something happens to call our attention to it again. Grief doesn't "go" anywhere; it sticks with us and finds a way to make us notice it until we take the time to unpack it, process it and come to terms with it. It seems as if this young man's death has left you with some degree of unfinished business, and I think a session or two with a qualified grief counselor could help you deal with this. And I assure you, he or she would not think you are "silly even talking about it after this long." Think of this as a gift you can give to yourself. 

• Like 4

On 9/28/2019 at 8:22 AM, musicluvr1991 said:

i kinda feel silly even talking about it after this long

I want to assure you it's not silly at all.  I lost a good friend a couple of years ago to cancer, diagnosis to death was two weeks, we were all shocked, I can't imagine how she felt, she didn't have time to process it.  We never forget them.  I hope you try a grief counselor.

• Like 1