Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I've Lost My Cat Primo

Guest Mona64

Guest Mona64

My cat, Primo my sweetie is gone. A beautiful, white, long- haired male cat. For 8 years he was my best friend. I could tell him anything and he would comfort me as if to tell me everthing was going to be okay and it always did. As a single mother of 2 boys he knew more things that happened in my live than my children. I believe he really understood what I was going through. He spent his last night with me on my bed...I think he knew he was going to leave me soon...I didn't. I came home from work and smelled an odor that I now know is death. I will never forget that smell. When my boyfriend and I came home from work we saw that he wasn't himself. He was crying loud, could not stand up and looked very scared. I called the vet. We immediately went to the vet's office and it was there that I was told that he had and was dying of Liver Disease. What? He just had a check up in November and his blood work was fine. I'm confused and angy I think. His symptoms were obvious but had happened so fast. He was going fast. I called my oldest son. Primo was HIS cat, I brought him home and he named him Primo 8 years ago. We cried, but he told me that Primo shouldn't suffer and that it would be best that the vet put him to sleep as suggested. The vet said he would not make it a couple of more hours. I just couldn't bring him back home and hear and see him suffer. As my sweetie was fading away I cried but whispered in his ear that I, my boys and my boyfriend, his papa loved him and that he would be better soon in heaven. Upon my last words..."I love you sweetie"...I could feel his last breath and then it was over. I was immediately lost....A part of me was gone and I was so emotional...I wanted him back! My boyfriend's comfort kept me from completely losing it. I've cried for the most part of all 12 hours since he's been gone. I've had and lost other pets in my life, but this is different...it's hard...I don't understand....I wish the pain to go away, but his memories will not leave me head. Thank you for these last few minutes of your time. It has helped me a bit, God Bless.

Oh Mona, I felt your pain so deeply as I read your message. I know that those images and that day will be forever in your thoughts and heart....I can only speak from experience to say that the same images that frighten you, can comfort you. Being right by Primo's side made it easier for him to pass...he had your blessings to go.

I send you and your family as much strength and comfort as I can in this message.

The similarities between your situation and mine which happened on Friday are quite striking, so if you're ever up for chatting, let me know.

-Sending my thoughts and comfort....Angie

• 4 weeks later...

Mona, I am so very sorry. I myself am trying to deal with loss, and then I read these posts and feel that I am not alone, although being alone in this would mean you woudn't be hurting so much. I wasn't there when she went; my husband asked me not to go because I probably wouldn't have gone through with it.

I wish you speed in your healing

Tami