Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Losing my baby Peggy Sue, rescue Irish Setter

Peggy Sue

Yes, I used my baby's name as my name for this board. I posted about my sister's death before Peggy Sue died on 9/25 (my sister died on 6/29). It has been a bad year. Wednesday will be 5 weeks since Peggy Sue left. She was a beacon of grace and love in my life. After my sister died she was my source of comfort and strength. I never had to worry if I was burdening her in some way with my tears. My sister, my only sibling, died of brain cancer. She was 62 years old. Peggy Sue was 10 when she passed. Her end was sudden, like a freight train, I did not see it coming. I had rescued Peggy Sue in November 2017, brought her home from a show kennel in Atlanta where she was a puppy producer. Would have gotten her spayed once she was stable on the thyroid hormone she had been off of for at least a year but she went into congestive heart failure in February 2018. She had dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) so spaying was no longer an option. For a year and half we counted out her twice a day pills - pimobendan, spironolactone, furosemide, lisinopril, Thyrotab, Ursodiol (for her sludgy gall bladder - once a day), taurine supplement, and Apoquel for her skin (also once a day). Treated her chronic right ear infection. She was worth all the effort & more - she blossomed, gained weight (62 pounds to 75 pounds - she was a big girl, tall and long). She went to work with me. I noticed several days before she died that she looked like she was peeing on herself but it turned out she was bleeding vaginally. I took her to the emergency vet that morning - she still looked OK. But she had a mass behind her uterus (abscess? tumor?) & she was in atrial fibrillation. And she was in pain. SurgerySo I had to let her go. I felt her last heartbeats. I kissed her. I cried & I wailed. And now I am so wailed. And now I am so so so empty. I have 3 other dogs & feel guilty that I haven't let them fill the void that Peggy Sue left. I guess they will in time. My sweet Peggy Sue. I will love you forever.

IMG_0458.jpg

• Like 1

I am so sorry, she is beautiful...she was lucky to have found a home with you...and you with her.  Every once in a while a beautiful connection is made, it was that way with me and my Arlie, and I sense it was with you and your Peggy Sue too.  You may not have gotten nearly as long with her as you would have liked, but you got long enough to know you loved each other.

I, too, am left with that void...no other dogs here to help me through it but my neighbor graciously loans me their chow to walk every day and it helps even though his personality is way different from Arlie's.

I add you to my prayers in this time to come, I know the pain all too well.

• Thanks 1

Your Peggy Sue is a beautiful girl and looks so stately in her gorgeous long coat.  Her gentleness shines through in the photograph.  How sad she battled so long and still had to leave you.  These wonderful animals can be so much comfort to us in so many ways.   The loss of a sister is enough to endure and then to lose Peggy Sue suddenly has to be unimaginable.  I never had a sister but did lose an only brother many years ago so know the loss of a sibling. 

I lost my husband in 2015 and have found love, company and support from my sweet fur baby, Maddie, a 12 year old Australian Shepard mix.  My heart is saddened for your loss.  Dee

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, widow'15 said:

Your Peggy Sue is a beautiful girl and looks so stately in her gorgeous long coat.  Her gentleness shines through in the photograph.  How sad she battled so long and still had to leave you.  These wonderful animals can be so much comfort to us in so many ways.   The loss of a sister is enough to endure and then to lose Peggy Sue suddenly has to be unimaginable.  I never had a sister but did lose an only brother many years ago so know the loss of a sibling. 

I lost my husband in 2015 and have found love, company and support from my sweet fur baby, Maddie, a 12 year old Australian Shepard mix.  My heart is saddened for your loss.  Dee

Dee, thank you for your kind response. I am so sorry you lost your husband.but glad that you have your sweet Maddie. 

• Like 1