Grief Healing Discussion Groups

No spirit for holidays

My shoulder has been healing, slowly, it's been over two months since I injured it and I really don't want to set it back.  Pacing myself, will do what I can.  It's supposed to get down to 18 this week so whatever I don't shovel I will have to live with, frozen in place.  We're in for some very cold temperatures and it is not expected to get much above freezing this week.  Have it shoveled right now but it's what we get tonight that concerns me.

• Like 2

I echo Dee on this, Kay.  People push themselves and after reading about George’s heart attack, I know snow shoveling can cause that and many injuries.  I also know how trapped it makes one feel which is awful.  

None of my birthdays have been good since Steve left.  Too much other stuff going on to intensify it this year.  I got one invitation to dinner, but it’s too early for when I eat which is unfortunate as I would feel comfortable with this couple, a fellow volunteer I met who has one year more than me at almost 27 years.  Our bodies get used to when they eat and this would not work as I eat much later.  I would also have to give up being home in my lounging clothes, special pillows to sit on and it would muck up the furry kids heads.  

This grief stuff sure changes everything as we know.  I have a routine now that keeps me semi sane and don’t like changes to it.  I miss the spontaneous life we once had.  I also have too much physical pain that’s hard enough to handle at home, much less at someone else’s.  I went to the dentist today about a missing tooth and just trying to lay in the chair was torture.  It so saddens me to see all I could do if I were free of the intensity of it.  When I got out of there I asked my elderly dog who struggles too, what do we do now?  Managed to drum up a few errands so as not to come home too early to the emptiness.  Seems I keep writing about this same thing.  Sorry  for the redundancy.  

• Like 3

I've been doing this for 42 years...when I was young I was invincible, not so much now.  I'm doing 1" at a time as it comes, taking breaks in between shoveling.  What they predicted did not materialize so it's been easy shoveling, thankfully.  I just heard the plow go by.  They're probably wondering where the predicted snow went!  Was supposed to get 5" last night, got maybe an inch.  They still have winter weather warnings on and I'm wondering if they looked out the window!  Not hurting my feelings any, less snow than predicted is always a GOOD thing!  I'd be shocked if it's "all the way to the valley" like they said.

No need to apologize, this is our life now and what concerns you, concerns us.  I so much miss talking to my Arlie, still do sometimes.  I never thought of him as elderly, he seemed great and then had cancer and was dying, just bam, like that.  He was always beautiful, my sweet boy.  I feel my grief anew, like losing George all over again.  I don't know how I got so close to a dog but I did.  I'm reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and it's really good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1