Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Lost Molly

Abiisntoriginal

I'm just absolutely lost. I would have rather found her body than never see her again. I miss Molly so much. My beloved cat went missing 10 months ago. I've never fully gotten past it and the past week has been extra hard on me with not having her here. They say you're not supposed to give up hope when an animal goes missing, but Molly was the sweetest, most loving cat and I know I'll never see her again. I believe someone took my girl. I feel that she is happy, but she was our cat for her whole life. Her whole 14 years of life, and I bet she wants her humans just as much as we want her. Someone took my cat and I'm never going to get to hold her and pet her again. I wish I had something to bury or give me closure, but I'm just stuck crying over my cat. I want to say I'll see her again in heaven but I don't even know if she's still alive and that's what pulls me from that idea. I saw a picture on an animal shelter site from October that looked exactly like her and immediately went to see if it was her. They said the cat was already adopted and part of me feels like it was really her and I lost my chance to get her back. I hate whoever took her. I handed out flyers and posted on all the groups I could. I almost feel positive that whomever took her, knows she's ours and lives near us. I don't want to think about the saddness anymore, but I don't ever want to forget my cat. She was a tough girl. We wanted to spend as much time with her as we could before she passed, but that opportunity was lost when she went missing. I love you, Mollybear.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for the loss of your Molly. I would be devastated too if one of my precious babies disappeared. Once, I left the patio door open and two of mine snuck out. It was middle of the night so I was trying to be quiet as I chased them around the front lawn of my apartment building - I must have look like a crazy person. I caught my youngest right away, he didn't try very hard to get away. But my oldest (he was 17 at the time) wasn't in the greatest of health and he got very confused because it was dark,  I was chasing him and his vision wasn't that great due to cataracts so he was running away thinking I was a threat! I panicked and as I flailed around in the dark I grabbed him but caught his face and I hurt him. When I took him inside there was blood on my fingers. I was absolutely horrified. His canine tooth was bleeding. So off to the emerg clinic I went and there was nothing they could do to save his tooth (lesson to me, keep an eye on dental, especially as they grow older!!!) So I was sent home with pain meds. He was fine after that, and I must've apologized 1000 times. I know he forgave me, animals are pure and I'm sure he knows I hadn't meant to hurt him. He passed away 5 months later of cancer. 

I'm not a very religious person, even though the Rainbow Bridge theory makes me bawl every time I read it. But that poem gives me hope that I will see my Beck again. Molly was your cat, and not the cat of whomever has decided to take her. She will be waiting for you at the meadows when her time comes, and the two of you will cross that bridge together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm so sorry as well, that your Molly-girl has gone missing for so long. I would personally be going out of my mind, and had always worried about something like that happening to my own furchildren as well. (why I always supervised them outside, and made sure some of our neighbours knew them)

You're right that people say never to give up hope in these cases, and I've been one of them, having seen many stories of cats reunited with their families, even years later. But I also know it keeps you emotionally "stuck," so however you need to view it at any given time, is what you need to do for your own sanity.

"I almost feel positive that whomever took her, knows she's ours and lives near us."

I want to say, if that's what you're sensing inside, you could actually be more right than you think. So I'd like to suggest you go door to door with pictures of her and ask if anyone may have seen her, say, in someone's window, house, or such. And if you hadn't already put up laminated (more permanent) posters in your neighbourhood where many would see them (with a good, clear picture/s of her), you could still do or repeat this, too. Again, if anyone recognizes her, that could net you some leads.

And you could possibly contact that shelter and plead your case in detail (don't underestimate the power of tears to move people!), in the hope that they might allow you to at least call whoever adopted the cat who looked just like her. I'm of the mind that if anyone was a truly good/vetted adopter, their conscience would bother them severely if they thought they might have someone else's cat if the family is still looking for them, and that a truly good and conscientious shelter owner would be open to cooperating in such a fashion, so see if you can speak to the owner/founder directly, not just to volunteers or staff.

I have been through many similar situations myself, but from the opposite side. For example, this past spring/summer/early fall a few of us in our neighbourhood were very worried about a darling cat who was seen roaming nearly every day for hours, none of us knowing if she had a home, or if she'd been dumped or abandoned. Everyone who knew of her loved her, she was so very sweet. (had no tattoo or collar, but was obviously spayed, which I could tell by her behaviours, & I also checked her for gender) I soon stuck a temporary, elasticized collar on her with OUR phone #, hoping for an irritated call-back from whomever may have been her person. I did get an odd, local call after 2 days, but no one was answering my repeated "hello"s. And when she'd visited the next day, that temp. collar was GONE. I never could seem to follow her to see where she went when she left our yard, because she would often walk the fence-line, where I could not go. I also unfortunately could not get the help I needed (from our local rescue group) in quickly scanning her for a microchip when here, but did try going around part of our area and inquiring after her at several houses. It's a much longer, convoluted story, but at the last it did seem like she must have had a home...although it may have been a second home after initially being abandoned. (three people identified her as a cat recently taken in by a neighbour to them, but that particular man claimed he didn't know her at all, so...???) She was hugely sociable and affectionate, and spent many hours making herself comfortable in both our yard AND inside our home (and another one). At least 3 of us living within 2 blocks had fed her at one point or another, not knowing her status or if she was starving. I last saw her just before Halloween, when she hadn't been out and roaming as often by then. So even though she's not mine, I still worry about her, and will continue the search for her home if she begins coming around again. 

My main point in sharing this is that something like this may have happened with your Molly, too...which is why I think it's important to go carefully checking around, because someone could have indeed taken her in, blindly believing she was homeless and with the intent of doing what they thought was right by her, and NOT knowing she actually lived close by. (knowing much more than these basics in feline and human behaviour, that's why I never blindly took this this cat in, realizing she might just have people who regularly allowed her to roam around, and w/o any visible ID) Being heavily involved with cats for decades now, I can tell you that most people barely even notice the cats in their neighbourhood, or don't care about them if they do, and are therefore totally clueless as to where they may live. Any most aren't even aware they should be checking for invisible microchips, either.

Being a progressive person myself, I take Rainbow Bridge as a metaphorical poem about how we can't possibly be disconnected from our beloved animals, either. My comfort comes more from both personal experiential events, and from the new science - quantum physics - which is finally catching up to ancient spiritual teachings and knowledge. It tells us that everything is 'just' ENERGY that can never die, nor be separated from the Whole of existence. And that in truth, no one and nothing is at all separate, nor can be separated by any old-time ideas of "distance." (even Einstein had posited this) Therefore, the energetic essence of someone always remains, no matter what, and physical 'death' is not really an end at all, but only another form of energy.

If the new, fuller science might help you, here's one recent (indirectly related) talk that highlights the scientific FACTS around these connections. You only need extrapolate this science to 'death' and mental connection to a loved one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_R91PMLsE&t=1044s&utm_source=lynmctaggart&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=lynmctaggart&utm_content=Watch+Lynne+and+Bruce+Lipton+in+conversation+-+you+don't+want+to+miss+it!

• Like 2

I am so sorry, I know of no worse feeling in the world.  My Miss Mocha disappeared June 3, 2016...for the longest time I kept hoping against hope she'd appear at the patio door waiting to be let in, but it never happened.  I put up flyers, contacted the neighbors, had them check their garages, etc.  But inside my heart I knew she was gone, most likely a cougar...I knew she'd never leave of her own accord, she picked me for her family, she chose to live here and I got to have her for 10 1/2 years, I never knew her age but she was still in great health.  I recorded Purpose of a Dog but still haven't watched it yet although I saw the trailer...my dog passed four months ago and it's still too fresh.  But in it this dog gets reincarnated again and again.  I don't believe in reincarnation but even so the content of this movie really gets to me, how they're there for us.  My dog certainly was anyway and he did a beautiful job of it, living his life.  Just as your cat did.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 9:02 AM, Abiisntoriginal said:

I'm just absolutely lost. I would have rather found her body than never see her again. I miss Molly so much. My beloved cat went

On 12/15/2019 at 9:22 AM, Novi said:

I'm sorry for the loss of your Molly. I would be devastated too if one of my precious babies disappeared. Once, I left the patio door open and two of mine snuck out. It was middle of the night so I was trying to be quiet as I chased them around the front lawn of my apartment building - I must have look like a crazy person. I caught my youngest right away, he didn't try very hard to get away. But my oldest (he was 17 at the time) wasn't in the greatest of health and he got very confused because it was dark,  I was chasing him and his vision wasn't that great due to cataracts so he was running away thinking I was a threat! I panicked and as I flailed around in the dark I grabbed him but caught his face and I hurt him. When I took him inside there was blood on my fingers. I was absolutely horrified. His canine tooth was bleeding. So off to the emerg clinic I went and there was nothing they could do to save his tooth (lesson to me, keep an eye on dental, especially as they grow older!!!) So I was sent home with pain meds. He was fine after that, and I must've apologized 1000 times. I know he forgave me, animals are pure and I'm sure he knows I hadn't meant toMolly was your cat, and not the cat of whomever has decided to take her. She will be waiting for you at the meadows when her time comes, and the two of you will cross that bridge together. 

missing 10 months ago. I've never fully gotten past it and the past week has been extra hard on me with not having her here. They say you're not supposed to give up hope when an animal goes missing, but Molly was the sweetest, most loving cat and I know I'll never see her again. I believe someone took my girl. I feel that she is happy, but she was our cat for her whole life. Her whole 14 years of life, and I bet she wants her humans just as much as we want her. Someone took my cat and I'm never going to get to hold her and pet her again. I wish I had something to bury or give me closure, but I'm just stuck crying over my cat. I want to say I'll see her again in heaven but I don't even know if she's still alive and that's what pulls me from that idea. I saw a picture on an animal shelter site from October that looked exactly like her and immediately went to see if it was her. They said the cat was already adopted and part of me feels like it was really her and I lost my chance to get her back. I hate whoever took her. I handed out flyers and posted on all the groups I could. I almost feel positive that whomever took her, knows she's ours and lives near us. I don't want to think about the saddness anymore, but I don't ever want to forget my cat. She was a tough girl. We wanted to spend as much time with her as we could before she passed, but that opportunity was lost when she went missing. I love you, Mollybear.

Thank you to all that have commented. I'm sorry for not replying to each of you. I'm bad with words, but reading your comments have helped me greatly. I learned a lot. I was not aware of the Rainbow Bridge and the idea gives me hope, although it still breaks my heart. This time of year is hard without my girl.

• Like 1

I miss my girl so much. Pictures of her pop up in my memories. As other cats give me comfort, part of me just wants my Mollybear back. She was the best. I've never met a cat like her and I worry I never will meet another like her. I wanted to get a kitten while we had her so the kitten could grow up learning her ways. It's hard thinking of getting another cat when it won't be my Molly or anything like my Molly. I miss you girl. I just wish I knew where you were or if you were alive. 

• Like 1

Oh Hon, my heart hurts for you for I know exactly what you mean.  I love my little Kodie but no one, nothing, is a replacement for my Arlie.  There will never be another dog like him.  Once in our lives we get that "special one" and the best we can do when we lose them is continue to love them and know we'll be with them again.  Therein lies my hope, but meanwhile my heart hurts and longs for him!

• Like 1