Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Sanity Needed Vents

I think I will keep making mistakes in trying to fill these boxes..  You will see a double period, double comma, lots of double letters.  I'm sorry, my fingers have little nerve brains that say lets just jump all over the place.  You should see my straight lines I draw.  I have to use a ruler and even then manage to have loops..  Just have to put up with me.  

• Like 1

I think it is taken after his series that include the woman investigator.  Her name is Cassie Dewell (I think), and his last of the 4 books in her series is the last one I read.  I just like the Joe Pickett ones so much better but they picked this series to draw from.  And just like his others, she is no ninja fighter, Joe Pickett is a mild wildlife officer.  Cassie is about 20 pounds overweight.  Not much if any romance, but he sure does write interesting books.  She started out as a law officer, but likes being a private investigator best.  Lawyers hire her and she gets results.  I just had Brianna record it and I will watch it the next morning.  Who am I kidding, I get up at noon now.  Never did that in my married life but once and slept till 1:00 pm when Scott was a baby.  No kidding, I see agoraphobia in our future, what there is left.  Be careful.  

• Like 1

Planning on recording this show too.  I feel I am being forced back into agoraphobic behavior.  Not only are we being pressured to stay in, but my pain is so severe I’m afraid to be out and have my legs give out.  I hate all these hours at home.  Dreading getting up like I need to now to let Mel out.  Called 2 docs yesterday for help and the best I could get is a televisit Thursday.  One place I called twice, the woman on the phone (while I was crying) said.....have a great day.  Really?  I’m begging for help, scared and she says that?   All I did yesterday was phone calls, a run for some vitamins that killed me, shower and little things I shouldn’t, but I’m not used to sweeping a bit or using the cordless vac being too much.  Birds needed food and water too.  Another night going to bed not knowing if I can take getting up.  Got the wrong vitamins and need to return them.  

Marg, are you afraid to go out?  Agoraphobia is something I battled once mentally.  Now it’s physical.  It’s utterly frustrating and depressing.

• Like 3

I'm not afraid to go out, but sometimes it seems like such a bother. Probably because I'm not going out to do something fun and doing it alone, to boot. I used to enjoy going to the library, but have stopped getting dvds since Covid and use the Kindle for reading books. That leaves grocery shopping and med visits. Oh, joy 😂. Another run on TP and paper products, I guess. Grocery store was completely out today with signs limiting purchase. Still haven't figured out why. I saw a small mention of "shortage" a couple of days ago(didn't bother reading it). Just like the media to start another panic.

It's back to the dentist time. Broke off another tooth about ten days ago. Doesn't hurt so I'm holding off until Marley's vet visit and my dermatologist are done. Three fun trips to look forward to.  lol

So sorry that no one is helping you with the horrendous pain issue. I know absolutely nothing about it, but have you considered acupunture. It apparently works for some.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Marg M said:

God helps those who help themselves.

Not in the Bible, it can be attributed to Ben Franklin (my gr-gr-gr-gr uncle), it's actually turning to one's SELF, not God, although there's a grain of truth to it if taken along with relying on God...we do have to do our part with His underlying strength.

Your sentence about you maw cracked me up, my mom never stopped talking either.  I'm that way more that I'm always alone now than I used to be because I so crave human communication/contact!  Too much of a good thing can be bad.  ;)

I don't think it made you sinful that you hired your daughter to help with your mom, not at all!  We as humans have to guard and protect ourselves and it's important to respect our boundaries/limits.  My mom also had mental issues and was very hard to take for long, there were times I could only handle 5 minutes!  Good to know our limits and respect them. ;)

My daughter is protective of not wanting to bring something to me but I think my son and his wife don't fully take COVID seriously, my DIL has utter disregard for me but my son says he doesn't want to pressure me...still, I feel it, under the current.

I think God has allowed these things to happen for a purpose

I think He purposes too but darned if I know what they are sometimes!  I try to just accept...

You said so much true & of value things in this "salad!"  The one about the couple being offered a boat three times...that was my mom.  Her engine blew up and we offered her our car and she declined it, "Waiting on God."  Two others also offered her a car.  We finally gave up and counted our blessing that we wouldn't have to go through trying to take her keys from her at some point...she would have been a big fight on our hands!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Marg M said:

I think I will keep making mistakes in trying to fill these boxes

Ever since my right hand turned numb, my fingers stutter continually, I have to go back and correct my tying constantly, it's a pain.

Karen, that's a great idea.  I know acupuncture isn't covered by my ins but hopefully Gwen's does?

• Like 1

Kay, can voice-to-text apps or speech recognition technology help you with typing?  Depends on what system you use, i.e. Apple/Mac, or Microsoft PC.  I have some hearing loss and I am constantly on the lookout for apps or tech that can help me now that everyone's practically wearing a space  helmet.  🙄

• Like 4

I tried those voice-to-text apps last year when I had surgery on both my hands, Kieron. I didn't have the time to "train" the apps properly to recognize my voice. As a result, the programs made so many errors that I spent all my time correcting typos. I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar, so for me it was more frustrating than not. Just my own experience :blink:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MartyT said:

As a result, the programs made so many errors that I spent all my time correcting typos.

My job as a transcriptionist was more a hobby than a job.  I learned something new every day.  I did this 43 years.  Without spellcheck, without PDR's to look up medication spelling, it became a search and find job that I loved.  I did not have a spellcheck or new PDR the whole time, 27 years, I worked at the state hospital.  When I went to the Catholic Hospital, they had all of this.  For the next 16 years, medical trans was a breeze.  Then they brought in "voice recognition" and how could a machine understand some of these doctors we couldn't understand, English as a second language. (Being a southern grandmother, I should have been more understanding as English is my 2nd language, Southern is my first), as you all well know.  But, they made me an "editor," what a smart sounding title.  The first time a doctor said "parenthesis" and the damn machine printed out "bull flatus," I knew I was a glorified crap cleaner instead of what I enjoyed.  I did not mind leaving, 43-years were enough.  I totally hate voice recognition anything.  Just read your captions on bottom of TV.  Sometimes you can't.  

• Like 2

My Siri does a decent job, but I have to correct also.  I have to do that with my typing too.   I didn’t have to do any training, And totally on voice. it just came with the iPad. Or maybe it learned from predictive typing. So far this one came out OK And totally on voice.

I use close captioning all the time. Dialogue is just too hard to make out on TV sometimes.

• Like 1

I was afraid of that, Marty.  I tried an app called LiveTranscribe for certain phone calls, and it's Ok but it gets a lot of words wrong and makes inappropriate word choices at times.  🤪

That's really too bad, Marg.  There are some benefits to this tech but just as often, it's made life more complicated.

Thank heavens for closed captioning!  Even YouTube has gotten into it, which opens up a wider world.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Marg, are you afraid to go out?  Agoraphobia is something I battled once mentally.  Now it’s physical.  It’s utterly frustrating and depressing.

Yes, it is getting to be a problem.  There is fear thrown in.  I could not go to my aunt's or my friend's funerals.  One reason was because she was the  high school secretary for so many years and I knew there would be so many people at grave side.  My friend is having a church funeral and grave side also, and he died from the after effects of COVID and a stroke and listening to the news (problem solver, don't listen to the news), makes me afraid to go.  Besides being elderly high risk, if I get sick, no one can do  anything.  All other methods/meds would kill me.  I don't think I'm so afraid of dying, there is just so much I need to do for my granddaughter, and I want to be able to help her to "get out in the world" because she is worse than I am.  All the social networks scare her, and that is the only way she can talk to her counselor.  She won't do the "facetime" things.  She won't learn to drive.  I know all the answers that she will have to do things if I am not here.  She is so intelligent, but her bio-mom taking all the drugs before she was born makes her need counseling.  We had that going, then this COVID.  We had school going, then this COVID.  "I" (me, myself and I) have to come up with something.  I get so much advice on what I have to do, and cannot really do anything right now.  I can still drive, with purpose, and get out of the house, with purpose, also.  Right now I am standing still.  If I die, I will not have to worry about things.

Gonna get rid of some of this.  Just stuff we are going through. 

Life down in the southland.  

• Like 2

Okay, I watched the premiere of "Big Sky". Part of it was okay....Part of it was an insult to C.J. Box, IMHO. No comparison to "Yellowstone", which I love. Of course, who can compete with Kevin Costner? Critique complete.

• Like 5

I'm rereading the book and Cassie Dewell does not resemble Cassie in the book.  For one thing, she is 20 pounds overweight and very aware of it.  The clothes don't resemble hers either and I'm not remembering the book happening like this, but C.J. Box was in on it, so he knew the changes.  I will finish rereading the book and will not watch it at all next week.  Nope, Yellowstone (I have never read a book), but it has Rip in it.  Alfre Woodard, Kathy Bates played in about a 2009 movie by Tyler Perry ("The Family that Preys") and the spoiled rich son of Kathy Bates was Cole Houser.  Cole Houser is Rip on Yellowstone, no resemblance to the Cole Houser that was Kathy Bates son in that movie.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KarenK said:

who can compete with Kevin Costner? 

Tough question.  Scott Bakula is up there.  Tom Selleck is still quite appealing too.  For movies, it’s Jeff Bridges and Harrison Ford.    

Steve and Ford resembled each other a lot in their youth.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kieron said:

Kay, can voice-to-text apps or speech recognition technology help you with typing? 

Not really, it doesn't follow phonetics very well.  A leader in my Diabetic group uses it and has so many mistakes in her posts it's sometimes hard to figure out the gist of what she's saying!  It misspells and types wrong words, it's very hard to read, actually the stuttering isn't hard to figure out but being a perfectionist, I want to go over it and correct it.  I hope it gets better if/when my hand improves.

• Like 1

The first time a doctor said "parenthesis" and the damn machine printed out "bull flatus,"

:D:D:D I love this!  

Marg, when my DIL told me II couldn't do what she did (she did medical billing which today is more data entry than anything), I not only did do it but did it in days when we memorized codes!  AND I saved the clinic from going under when their previous bookkeeper had embezzled $200,000.00 and then set fire to the books so they didn't know who owed them what!  I totally reconstructed them (long story) and that is a feat I am proud of and not every bookkeeper can boast.  Today's work and what we did are two different things! 

4 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Tom Selleck is still quite appealing too.

Haha, the "idols" of our day are different from those of the youngsters now!  

• Like 2

Oh yeah, my mom's were William Holden, Cary Grant, John Wayne, etc.  

I can’t keep up with all of today’s hot stars.  So many reality ones in there too or podcasts.  I do like Ildres Elbe tho.  Used to like Depp til I found out about his questionable behavior.  I wish it were like the old days.  I don’t want to know about their personal lives.  I admire people like Tom Hanks and others that keep their privacy.  Thought it was great that he did talk about the virus to say it wasn’t a hoax.  More of a PSA to take this seriously.

• Like 1

I'm not on Facebook either, Kieron. I'd probably say something stupid and I do that enough already on here😁 Although, it would be nice to see how my Kentucky grandkids are doing.....

Gosh Gwen, I'm right there with your mom. Charlton Heston was the one for me. I think I've moved on to Jason Statham and Gerard Butler(young enough to be my sons).  lol  No harm in wanting to turn back the clock, is there?

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 5:16 AM, kayc said:

Karen, that's a great idea.  I know acupuncture isn't covered by my ins but hopefully Gwen's does?

I don’t think that would be an option for me.  With bone on bone vertebrae collapse, I wouldn’t take the chance of it being made worse.  Spinal stenosis is very intense when it’s as advanced as mine.  The thought of someone manipulating things gives me the chills!   Thanks for the suggestion tho!  😳

• Like 1

Bri keeps asking me, Mamol, does he do anything for you?  I have to tell her I wish it did, and for my 30-year-old self, Jason Momoa, Scott Eastwood (never cared for Clint), sure liked the "Virginian" and a South Korean actor/singer named "Rain."  I have seen that movie "Ninja's Assassin" about three times, and will watch it again.  It is a bloody movie, so I would not recommend it for the faint hearted.  But, they really don't do anything for me.  That's sad.  And if Billy was not gone I would not even be saying that.  I'll probably have a bad dream tonight.   

• Like 1