Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Dear Little Prince's Story

Prince#1

He came home from Victoria (adopted through Mexipup rescue & originally from a high kill shelter in Puerto Vallarta), thin and with such short hair, I didn't notice the caramel colour coming through until a few weeks went by. He was severely matted when he came to the Mexican SPCA, who took him from the shelter and contacted Mexipup. After coming to his forever home, he started playing alot and coming back into himself after a few weeks, but his favorite spot was always on the couch. He was always such a sweet boy. He already knew basic commands and I believe he was once loved by someone dearly.

He's the most gentle soul. He just literally nibbled on his toys, he preferred stuffies with squeakers in his own cream color. Every time my daughters or I squeaked and sent them flying across the room, he was on them asap! Otherwise he was so happy to sit with us (especially me) because we gave him everything he wanted- love and pets.

I didn't know I needed a gentle, tiny soul in my life. But after my shared experience with hardship and mental illness, he was exactly what I could have ever hoped for or wanted.

Screenshot_20200114-124407_Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

I'm so glad you saved him, it made me shudder to think he was in a high kill shelter.  Thank God he got to spend his life with you, where he was loved and cared for.

• Like 1

When he became comfortable and decided I was his Person, I was thrilled. We lived in an apartment and I took him for around 5 short walks daily, where he would skip down the hall in joy and anticipation. I didn't know dogs could skip, and have a video of it on YouTube I'll try to attach. What a happy fellow.

https://youtu.be/4oMExM8p1pU

Prince didn't fetch our shoes, but to our relief he decided to steal shoes when we arrived home instead of jumping on us! It was a game, and up till his last days I always would say to my daughter as we got through the gate to our door, "Who's going to be so happy to see you! Watch out for your shoes!"

• Like 1

I love your story...reminds me:  Yesterday I was getting ready for church and decided to wear a light green pair of suede boots...I don't wear these often so hadn't worn them this winter yet.  I put the right one on and tied it.  Put the left one on, and Holy Cow!  It was filled with rocks!  I was flabbergasted as they were in the same place I took them off last year and couldn't imagine how it could be filled up and me make it back here in them!  I dumped it over the waste basket...it wasn't rocks, it was puppy chow!  My new little puppy had packed food off for storage and decided that was a good place to store it! :P

I just watched your video, OMG, that is the cutest thing!  I've never seen an animal "skip" before!  Arlie would get a lilt to his gait that was so endearing, but I've honestly never seen a dog skipping like this!  Just precious!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Prince always loved to be comfortable. When he got here, he immediately gravitated toward the couch and spent most of his time there. When I bought him his crown bed, he immediately took the removable pillow out and brought it on the couch to cuddle with there. The shell became his toy box.

I took him to a dog beach, knowing he probably wouldn't want to play in the water, but to get some off-leash play. As I'm watching the other dogs frolic and play catch in the water, Prince is way behind me making himself comfortable on a blow up chair that a lady was in the middle of inflating. What a Cushy guy!

2012-09-28 08.52.45.jpg

• Like 1

I love that!  And if I was that lady, I would have gladly shared it with him!

• Like 1

Aww, how sweet! (picture)

• Like 1

Wow, I Finally picked up Prince's footprint plaque. I'm realizing how much more grief will come, but I'm glad I finally did it. His Memorial is complete. As we know, words don't really sum all these big feelings up, but I sure am thankful for the couple of you on this forum Continuously to share their time, memories and support! 

20200225_220626.jpg

• Like 2

OMG, that's beautiful!  They did a terrific job!

I wish I had something like that, but I have a paint print.  I have a good memory of trying to get it from Arlie when he was alive...he took off running through the house, black paint flying everywhere!  Cleaned it all up (an hour later) and silly me, had to try again!  Again, another hour later, had to resign myself to what I got.  I have an "in motion" print of his in my kitchen.  We got an ink print after he died, not the greatest, but it'll have to do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dear Prince,

It's like lately I'm been going on my life without thinking too much about how we were. Our daily routines, our afternoon snuggles, how you were always there for me... During this pandemic I'm missing you more than Ever. Our walks, our night cuddles. I sleep with a stuffed poodle now (and sometimes Misty). 'Till we meet again and are smelling our familiar smells of eachother... I miss you So Much. XOXOXO

2012-08-18 08.25.29.jpg

• Like 2

This is a sweet picture...sometimes I wonder if they miss us as we do them.  One thing I'm sure of is they don't grieve as we do because time is no more and they don't have this awful wait.

• Like 1

So true! And it used to feel like forever to our fur babies for us to get home. I really hope that's how it is. Of course we can't know everything until we are gone as well. But it really helps to keep my hopes and dreams alive. ♥️🐕💜🐈💛🐩

• Like 1

I agree, and I'm sure they reach heaven before we do!  They are the best creatures ever made!

• Like 1