Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I logged in today and there was nothing posted.  I guess I’m more sensitive (?) during this virus thing.  I know we often have nothing we think nave nothing to write or react to something someone else wrote without added input.  I’m just wondering if we could just check in in general about our days now and then.  I know I am exceptionally lonely, not saying no one else here isn’t.  I guess I so depend on this place that I miss seeing some conversation.  Doesn’t have to be spectacular and I don’t know about everyone else, but virus stuff is getting so scary and prevalent that just reading about people’s little stuff interests me.  It’s just a thought.  I had gotten up today, fed the kids, got stuff out for lunch, the mail and then came here and there was nothing.  Just showed me how much I need you all!  

I’m have a counseling session today and am waiting for my doc to explain why he wants me to come in to see my oxygen drops on exertion.  There isn’t anything he can do but refer me, so I’d rather talk by phone and skip the trip to him.  Trying to figure out how to fill another evening as always which usually winds up TV and trying to muster an appetite.  Heard more restrictions about the virus last night and that’s always a stressor.  

I got a statement in my mail about an investment that dropped so significantly I about fainted.  On the plus side I managed to brush Ally some last night.  I could have gone hours with how bad her cost has gotten.  I’m wondering how I will get their nails trimmed as I won’t do that.  Found a place, for a hefty price, that will come in and do vacuuming or any health related needs.  

We’re actually having livable temps in Seattle.  People won’t be able to do Easter as usual with church and extended family.  

Just giving a shout out.  How you all doing and what’s happening for you?

• Like 3

I posted here yesterday in the sanity needed vents thread as well as pets and parents.  I come on line every day.  I'm feeling it too, hate being alone all the time.  Trying not to look at how long this can go on.  I feel a bit  edgy.  I hear what you're saying, I'm pretty well sick of hearing about the virus, it's on all news, shows, in the paper, etc.  Too much.

I can't for the life of me find where I put Arlie's nail trimmers.  I found some I had from my mom, they look too scary to use.  My vet said to use my regular nail clippers, I learned the hard way to go at them straight in, not slanted so you don't cut too deep.  I barely trimmed Kodie's, too afraid of hurting him and he's not the most patient dog in the world.

I'm afraid all our lives are rather boring to talk about right now!  I'll just feel so lucky if I don't get this!

Went to count $ today, offering half what it usually is.  Maybe the mail is slow.  The pastor brought some paperwork from the bank about what they want that was clear as mud, not specific.  If they want me to provide something they need to be specific what government forms and what period.  That's my life, getting ready to walk Kodie again.  My back is killing me in spite of Ibuprofen.  

I made a mask but had trouble because I didn't have elastic, used straps from an old bra but it pulled on my ears because it was too wide.  It managed to stay on in the store, amazingly.  Can'tr see wearing it for two months!

• Like 1

I’ll have to check out regular nail clippers.  Seems to me they wouldn’t be open enough for a dogs nail, but never thought of that having groomers.  

I have a couple disposable masks in the car.  Haven’t used them.  It’s hard with oxygen and I feel suffocated.  Drat...talking about that darned virus again!  I need a zapper for that.  😲

dont know what you are doing with church finances, I’m number challenged.  Hate math.  I do hope thee will be more places providing meals.  I hope you are right on the lines a stores, seems you always see people coming out so it should move faster unless people get panicked and hit them harder.

• Like 2

I am here, also.  Have not done much of anything, even tho there are plenty of hours available.  I have no desire to do anything. Getting really lazy. I walk in the yard...back and forth from the back steps to the alley.  Called a few people.   Have seen no people.  I will probably order some groceries to be delivered.  Keep safe and healthy.  Gin

• Like 4

I'm glad you started this, Gwen! I also look forward to conversing with our friends here as I'm not on Facebook or anything. I'm just living my boring life, same as I would be if we weren't in lockdown. Even if recreation was an option, our funds are so limited we can't go anywhere. Here I finally reached the age where I can get a free lifetime hunting\fishing license and can't afford to drive to the lake. I don't hunt, but love sitting by the lake in the mountains fishing, even if I don't catch anything.

My online bead store has an annual Easter Egg Hunt contest which is fun and absorbs a fair amount of time. They have postponed it until summer as it generates a lot of orders and prizes to be filled. Most employees are working from home, only a couple going into the warehouse to fill orders. Disappointing, but completely understandable. Was looking forward to doing something other than watching TV and reading.

Although we have dog nail clippers, Marley's are trimmed by a groomer at the vet and Tatum chews hers off. The guys give them baths. $80+ to bathe a dog is too steep for me. Tatum would live in the water if she could. Marley runs from it.

Glad to see your post, Gin. Have been thinking of you and wondering how your daughter is doing.

Have also been wondering about Joyce, Mitch, Faye, Steve and Patty, Katy, Brad, and others we haven't heard from in a while. Hope some will check in.

• Like 2

I sure wish I could order groceries here, never worried about that before, alas one of the hazards of where I live.  At least I can still drive.

Gosh, we haven't heard from Brad in ages!  I imagine Steve and Patty are keeping busy preparing takeout from Maui Pasta.  Faye has been here recently, in the parent section, you can check her activity from her profile page, she's been other places too.  It's been quite a while since we've heard from Kay too!

Gwen:  In reply to your request for Checking In.  Like my life lately, nothing exciting other than trying to stay away from television and news.  Each morning after opening my eyes it is like a slap in the face that we are actually going through this nightmare.  Since the weather has finally turned dry and sunny, I have tried to work outside some raking up fir cones, leaves, fir branches and pulling a miserable weed called "shot weed".  Don't know real name but if it isn't pulled before seeds are dried it eventually shoots seeds that will guarantee a healthy crop next year and for the end of time.  Never ending struggle much like life anymore.  Trying to be funny here. LOL.  Could only work outside about 2 hours and paid for it this morning, could hardly walk to kitchen to turn on my coffee pot.

My son stopped by for a few minutes last night to drop something off.   We practiced social distancing and seems so uncomfortable not to be able to give each other a hug.  We both are needing hugs right now since tomorrow will be the dreaded 5 year mark that my beloved husband died.  The pain is crushing.

I try to find something to be thankful for each day but other than finally seeing my long lost wild bunny in my backyard, the blooming periennel shrubs, daffodils, and tulips showing spring colors, can't find much else.  Guess this will have to be all that I can be thankful for for now.  It goes without saying, I am thankful that I can stay in my home, and not a hospital. 

And, Gwen am thankful for you keeping us on task to stay in touch cause we all need each other; now more than ever.

Hugs to all of you,  Dee

• Like 3

Dee, I'd have a hard time seeing my son and not getting a hug, guess it's best we're so far away from each other right now, phone calls will have to do.  

My sister just called and said she'd send me disposable gloves, she's not going out at all.  I was elated.  Found a small gold elastic cord in my Christmas closet, will try using that on my mask.  I've hunted this house over for some!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I got a statement in my mail about an investment that dropped so significantly I about fainted.  On the plus side I managed to brush Ally some last night.  I could have gone hours with how bad her cost has gotten.  I’m wondering how I will get their nails trimmed as I won’t do that.  Found a place, for a hefty price, that will come in and do vacuuming or any health related needs.  

Gwen:  Yeah, I made the mistake of opening my mail yesterday.  I took a real beating on my  401k which means as a 78 year old I have to take a RMD each year.  Will be slim pickings this next year.  Oh well, do need to lose some  weight so maybe this will be the year I will be forced to eat less.

I try to brush Maddie and clip her fluffy white paws so she doesn't drag in so much mess, but she will only cooperate for about 15 minutes at a time.  So, don't ever get her completely brushed or paws trimmed.  I will not trim her nails.  Will see if the next visit to the vet won't clip the nails. 

Good luck on your counseling session.  Should be comforting to have a voice to respond to you.  Hugs, Dee

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kayc said:

Found a small gold elastic cord in my Christmas closet, will try using that on my mask.  I've hunted this house over for some!

kayc:  I like to re-purpose.  Have you thought about an old pair of PJ bottoms that might have elastic in waist, or old set of sweats that might have elastic.  A large laundry here has been supplying face mask makers with apron ties.  Can you replace elastic with a tie style?

Yes, do miss those hugs from people.  Hugs to you.  Dee  

• Like 2

Yah, opening mail isn’t a thrill anymore.  I got a telephone scam call from 'Medicare' and when I said I don’t vehave it they hung up.  I was hearing how the scavengers are going to take advantage of peoples fears for thier gain.  

I sooooo miss hugs too, Kay.  There’s so much to miss during this time.  

Even thethings I did alone feel more so because the balance stuff is gone for now.  

I’m glad I have my home, just want to get this breathing thing settled.  Then I can brush Ally more and do more little things like empty my dryer.  I’m not used to having to break projects up into pieces.  I wantbit done.  

I’m so glad to see so many responses and I wonder too how many people mentioned are doing.  Let’s stay in touch people.  I hope waking tomorrow will have us talking more as we so need it.🙂

• Like 1

Got one of those medical scam calls yesterday. I never answer my phone unless I know the caller, but Robert was standing next to the phone and he loves to mess with scammers using a feeble voice, acting hard of hearing, or replying in a made up language. This one had spoofed the number of a local restaurant. She asked for me with a foreign accent, just kept asking. She finally identified herself with some weird name and blah blah blah medical facility. Wanted to talk to me about my pain and swelling. WHAT PAIN AND SWELLING? He told her to scam somebody else. Some of the human race is just plain disgusting!

• Like 3

Well, as for me, I'm doing okay although my work hours have been reduced.  At least I still have a job, and some income, since we're considered "essential" during a stay-at-home order here.  Luckily the bank  suspended my mortgage payments for 90 days without question, so I guess all those years of paying on time made it a slam-dunk.  So I'll be fine for awhile, but not for months on end. 😕  Speaking of essential, I may break down and get a hair clipper because my hair grows like a weed,, and try to do it myself, hopefully not having to wear a hat after.   🤪 We've had a few nice days so I've been poking around the yard seeing what's coming up green.

Being an introvert by nature, I've adapted to this new routine relatively well, but as another introvert friend put it, "I can handle it but I don't appreciate it being imposed on me."  On the plus side, it caused 2 friends/acquaintances who had drifted away to resurface, so that is nice, even if all we do is phone chat, or text back and forth. 

I used some cold, rainy days to design another Ukrainian Easter egg, so there's that (see below).  Folklore tells us that there's an evil monster out there that is chained somewhere out in the wild world, and is the source of evil.  It is chained to a mountain, to keep evil in check.  Every year, it sends out its minions to see whether these Easter eggs are being made by the people.  If only a few are being made, then evil flourishes, but if the people make many of them, the monster's chains are tightened and evil is kept under tighter restraints.

So I guess I'd better get busy.  😁

IMG_20200324_213649037.jpg

• Like 3

I'm still here, I know I don't post very often, but I do come and read and like everyday.  I'm doing ok, just staying home like we are suppose to be doing.  I've been ordering food online for a couple of years now since I don't have a car and have a delivery service pick it up for me, however, now it's impossible to get most things I want, like meat, canned goods and of course toilet paper.  I'm use to being in the house all the time, but that doesn't make it any easier knowing that I can't or shouldn't go anywhere now, but yet, it's probably a good thing I don't go out and see what the town looks like, I don't know if I could handle everything being closed or limited on shoppers.  Everyone please take care of yourselves and hope this will be over soon.  Hugs to all

• Like 4

Dee, how are you doing on the anniversary date?  Got kinda lost in the flurry, but I know not to you.   5 was huge for me.  Others mentioned that too.  I don’t bother trying to figure it out, just know the pain felt more increased than ever.  Like a backslide of years.  It’s so cruel we can’t hug people when, of all times, we really need it.  I don’t have anyone to hug, but I’m sure it’s so hard on you and Kay seeing your sons and not doing that.  Virtual hugs don’t cut it.  I’m glad I have the digs but it’s not the same either.  Nothing feels like arms around you.  The smell and he warmth.  Thinking of you today.

beautiful egg, Kieron.  Sure aren’t enough of them if the folklore is true.  

Joyce!  You posted!  I about fainted!  🙀. I know you are always here, but so good to 'see' you!  Yup, it’s creepy out here.  I see it every day and maybe it’s not healthy, but stying in isn’t for me either.  I just have to know I can get out.  Have always been that way and after the month long hospital fiasco I really need it.  I feel so anxious when I get home tho.  Having to come inside to the same emptiness.  The kids have their routine I have to adhere to, but beyond that it all feels so weird.  There’s just no balance with positive stuff.  That is the problem as I se it.  

Another beautiful day here and little to do.  I’m really trying to appreciate my home and how fortunate I am so it’s hard to relate to outsiders.  That sentence doesn’t make sense beyond I am always told that when I would trade any of it to be with Steve.  

I’m on a hunt for any housekeepers as watching the place need attention I can’t do makes it worse.  There is a home health service that will, but at the cost, as you have to pay a deposit up front, is crazy high.  I just got my SS benefits and they willl disappear as soon as some checks clear.  

I do ge the thrill of calling my doc again.  He called and I missed it whil sleeping and my scheduled visits message has me confused if I am supposed to be there or not.  They are going to schedule a cardiac referral for this breathing.  Not my way I wanted to handle this isolation order.  I just want to be bored like everyone around me.  

• Like 1

@Kieron  Are you painting on real eggs or are they ceramic or what?  It's beautiful!  Do you make up your designs or get them from somewhere?

I don't know how much I'll have to start taking out of my IRA, don't understand that stuff, may have to hire someone to tell me as the IRS site was clear as mud.  I've got five years, I guess since they change it from 70 1/2 to 72, that was a relief since it means I'll have time to recover some of my losses hopefully before I have to start drawing out!  I want to use it to pay off my house  in 8 years, might be ten now, who knows.

Gwen, I'm sorry...gee between dealing with that and being bored...what a choice!  I haven't been bored yet but I do miss people.  Kodie keeps me halfway sane, he's been begging since I've been cooking.  ;)

Joyce, good to hear from you!  I wish you had someone there that could get your groceries for you and put them on your front porch.  My little sister offered to for my older sister but she declined...she placed an order for delivery on line but the first two times it didn't go through, don't know about the third time.  I hope she wasn't charged!  My other sister said she's down to bologna, her husband said he'll get groceries next week, I hope so!  

• Like 1

Stocked up on meat for a couple of weeks, but the prices are atrocious. No "specials" for sure. Couldn't get potatoes this time. Robert hates grocery shopping, did even before all this, but he does it. I'm a browser when I shop perusing the aisles for different things. He's a no nonsense, get it done and over with shopper which fits perfectly for now. He has no patience and I guess I have the patience of Job. Funny, I had a different attitude about clothes shopping. I remember Ron used to like to go to the mall and "window shop". I only went if I had money to spend or for something specific. All logic aside, my mom and I would shop the sales for hours. I really miss her. She was my best friend.

There I go again, remembering the good times. Too much sadness in that.

• Like 3

My Lady friend and myself are going shopping tomorrow, picking up (food) and a few Easter goodies for the youngest Grandkids.....and got to look at another kids car that won't start...........this is my only outing planned . It sure is difficult , our weather has just changed, but still have a healthy frost each night......Spending $ on order in Movies.....Gwen, I have one portfolio down 50%, enough to make you cry......touch wood, not many Covid cases around here....stay safe everyone

• Like 3

The weather has turned warm and I have nothing to wear but clothes for cold weather...I've lost 45 lbs and nothing fits so I guess I'll be hot well into the summer if/when they let us out to shop again.

Seeing Easter come and go and no getting together with grandkids, that's going to be tough.  Reminders everywhere, not sure why, it's not like a normal year.

• Like 1

Kay, they're real eggs, and it's not paint but dyes, like super-charged versions of the Paas color tabs that we used to mix with vinegar when I was a kid, to dye Easter eggs.  The designs are ancient, from pre-historic times.  They are so old they have no copyright whatsoever.  I have dozens of books with examples of these so it's like choosing from a vast library.  You can mix and match.  The 8 pointed star is very ancient, and I have mentioned it represents the sun, light, warmth returning victorious over wintertime that has ended.  The netting or cross-hatching around the star represents sifting or separating good from evil.  The only part I made that's nontraditional was the blue mountain shapes.  Those aren't traditional but I like them.

• Like 2

I really haven't posted much here in awhile. I do come and read mostly. I'm still working since I work in a grocery store. My days off I just try to catch up on things around the house. My youngest daughter, she's 20, has been staying with her boyfriend so I am mostly alone. She comes home to eat, shower and get clean clothes. This has been really hard for me. I have been seeing someone on and off for the past 3 years. Things have finally been really good between us for the past 5 months. The past 3 and half weeks have been hard though. Not being able to be with him and being by myself is depressing. He won't risk it because I am immunocompromised because of the medicine that I am on. Is anyone else so sick of cooking everyday? just me? LOL! Anyway, just trying to hang in there. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi Polly, nice to see you. Has your daughter completely recovered from her terrible accident? It's so tough to let our kids go when they want to be on their own.

Ron & I ate out all the time. Can't afford that luxury now except cheap takeout sometime. I don't like to cook even in normal times.............

Glad to hear your relationship is going well once again.

9 hours ago, KarenK said:

Hi Polly, nice to see you. Has your daughter completely recovered from her terrible accident? It's so tough to let our kids go when they want to be on their own.

Ron & I ate out all the time. Can't afford that luxury now except cheap takeout sometime. I don't like to cook even in normal times.............

Glad to hear your relationship is going well once again.

Nicole is doing pretty good. The accident was almost 2 years ago. Last year she had to have surgery to have the rod and nail removed from her leg and knee. She still has trouble with her knee swelling up really bad at times. Her arm seems to be doing ok. She also has been having some trouble with her eye that had glass in it. 

Yes, I cant afford to eat out either but Bill would take me out about 3 times a week to make sure I was eating. 

• Like 1