Grief Healing Discussion Groups

16 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I would have kept the chocolates.  😎

Haha!  I ate one or two!

IMG_1225.thumb.JPG.c1efea897fefa2039dc133d3d0278649.JPG Hello everyone....this is Cookie from long ago.  This is my sweetie, Rio.  He is a goofball, as you can probably tell.  He is so loveable.  This shelter at home thing is really hard, but thankful to have Rio to walk, etc.  Hope all are well.  

• Like 6

Hey Cookie! So nice to hear from you again. Rio is adorable and looks so intelligent. My daughter had Cocker Spaniels named Rio and Lobo(after the John Wayne movie). Lobo was a sweetie. Rio was not. 

Yep, we're all hating this lockdown. Hope you are doing well also.

• Like 3

I don’t know if we wil get Cookie back, hope so!  I poked her in mail here and she must have gotten a notice.  If you do peek in, Cookie, drop a line once and awhile.  We miss you!  Rio is gorgeous.  Forgot he is black. Still a baby with energy.  

• Like 1

Will try to get back more.  Do miss you guys--the only ones who really understand.  Just been missing in action, the action of trying to stay sane and balanced.  Yes, he is a big baby with unbelievable energy, which has been really good for me and something to love on....Cookie

• Like 1

Meant to share with you all that I am still in the same place.  Still cleaning houses twice a week (well, that's changed a little bit now).  Still hiking, doing yoga.  Have had several male friends over the last couple of years; I call them my hiking buddies.  Nice people, but no sparks.  Sad about that.  Would love to meet someone for companionship, but find that John is too big a presence in my heart, mind and soul for me to move on to that.  How about everyone else?  I have reached a balanced place at times, but still grieving, just compartmentalizing it a lot.  He is still everywhere I go here in this house he built.  At one time I thought I had to move, but now am feeling at peace here more.  Although, this morning went out and looked at the rhododendrons blooming a beautiful purple and it broke my heart thinking of how he would love to be here working on this land he loved. I think the difference now is that although I have this deep pain still, I can also appreciate the beauty and not have to look away like I used to.  Hope all are well...hugs, Cookie

• Like 4

On 4/20/2020 at 7:06 AM, kayc said:

You know what I noticed?  All the news articles are on COUPLES or FAMILIES.  I haven't seen them do one article on someone widowed and living alone.  Why, are we too depressing, hopeless?  It kind of makes me mad because it's not a fair sampling of what's out there.

I think is the same old thing....people don't want to see us, and, yes, it makes it so much more isolating....

• Like 3

On 4/20/2020 at 4:31 PM, Gwenivere said:

You make an excellent point.  I’ve found a couple obscure things about people alone and keeping up phone, video and mail contact.  But all the headlines and shows like Fallon and Kimmel are from home with thier families.  The news always talks about creative ways to spend the time with your family.  New things to try like recipes, games, backyard sports.  Takes participants.  How parents are going nuts having to be working and teachers at the same time.  I’m very sure that is a major challenge, but on this side of the fence, it looks preferable than this deafening silence and not one single human being to be close to.  

And yes, silence can be deafening.  Yes the dogs bark, the phone rings, the TV drones on.  But that isn’t the sound of life created by someone being here to interact with or hear doing things.  Even hearing Steve on the phone to his buddies was a voice.  Sometimes I curse he was a musician.  Hearing him practice or his buddies here making music.  

I miss my neighbors of over a decade.  Seeing them doing stuff and thier dogs coming every day for treats to my door.  

Life.  I miss life.  

I do too, Gwen....was trying to hard to be social and make connections before this (which was a gargantuan task then) and now back to square A it seems....

• Like 2

Cookie!  So good to hear from you again!  Try to check in now and then, okay?  Love your Rio, so  beautiful!  Don't know if you've seen my Kodie or not, I need to take a picture of him, he's grown a lot this last month.  

Had to go to town again yesterday to get a light checked out that I couldn't get off on my tire pressure monitoring system.  Turns out the tire place filled them to 42 instead of 32.  130 miles for nothing.  Off to walk dogs, count $ today at the church.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cookie said:

now back to square A it seems....

That's how I've been feeling, like I'm starting all over again with my loss, everything I'd done to build my life again is gone in the second they ordered this social isolation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kayc said:

Had to go to town again yesterday to get a light checked out that I couldn't get off on my tire pressure monitoring system.  Turns out the tire place filled them to 42 instead of 32.  130 miles for nothing. 

kayc:  Good to read your tire pressure monitoring system was due to tire being overfilled.  But, sorry you had to drive 130 miles for nothing.  My car's tire pressure monitoring system light has been on for months.  I had the tire pressure checked and all tires were fine....the light is still on.  I only drive a few miles each month so am almost at the time to have my car serviced.   Hopefully they will find out why the light remains on.  Someone told me it is probably a sensor on one of the air valve things needing replacement.  Hate to have to be the only one in charge of everything.   But, "it is what it is".  Dee

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kayc said:

That's how I've been feeling, like I'm starting all over again with my loss, everything I'd done to build my life again is gone in the second they ordered this social isolation.

Kay, once again you summed up this hell in perfect words.  I didn’t have much, but to have those ties cut pulled the rug out.  The restrictions preclude finding anything to replace them with.  As has been discussed, we are even more challenged if we are alone in this. Glad we have technology, but it’s sorely lacking for true connection.  Even the video chats I’ve had have a chill about them.  Guess cause I look at a screen that often freezes rather than the true human.  My connection to mankind are strangers from afar now.  That messes with my head big time.  I know because watching shows where people are interacting like laying in bed talking, meeting for lunch, having a beer together depress me as I sit in my chair in a house no one has been in for months except repair people.  Where’s the warmth?

speaking if that, we are supposed to get close to 80 this weekend.  I hate feeling hot so dread that as my house gets warmer than outside fast.  Used to like summer when I could participate in it.  

• Like 3

Gads, Karen!  I spent 2 years in Phoenix and lived at night.  Even then it was too hot.  I don’t like AC but it’s a must have there.  Always struck me so odd on my treks back and forth to NM I’d go thru Flagstaff and there would be snow.  83 is hot for us so my whine still stands.  😎

• Like 1

20 hours ago, widow'15 said:

Someone told me it is probably a sensor on one of the air valve things needing replacement.

They quoted me $125.50 for the "diagnostics," don't know what it'd cost for the sensor replacement but they did say they'd applied the $125.50 to the cost of repairing what was needed.  I bought a warranty for $2,200 and they hemmed and hawed about it covering it which made me mad.  I don't consider this usual maintenance.  They said I had three year limited warranty (it's been a year already so that'd leave two), they told me seven years and not "limited."  So I still need to have further conversation with them about this, not looking forward to haggling but I have a contract that says different.  They did say it'd take all day to check and could require overnight.  Make sure you tell them ahead of time about it so they leave ample time!

16 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

we are supposed to get close to 80 this weekend.

We are going to be in the 80s Friday through Sunday, then back to rain.  It poured rain today and will be in the 50s...a jump 30 degrees in temperature doesn't exactly ease us into it, does it!

11 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

83 is hot for us so my whine still stands.  😎

Me too!  I like 60s and 70s.  I lived in Phoenix when I was young, couldn't take the heat, it was in the 120s day and 90s night.  I was always fainting.  Moved back to Oregon first chance!  Didn't like the snakes, cactus, the "country" didn't look like country to me!  I'm used to the mountains, beaches, evergreens...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kayc said:

They did say it'd take all day to check and could require overnight.  Make sure you tell them ahead of time about it so they leave ample time!

kayc:  Thanks for the tip.  I didn't renew the maintenance agreement on my 2008 vehicle so hope the charges won't be too expensive.  I think I can hold out for a few more weeks and maybe my daughter will be able to go with me should it be an overnight repair problem.  Even in normal times, I only drive about 25 miles a month.  Dee

• Like 1

I’d say you got them nailed, Kay, with your warranty.  I’m really surprised they would charge you just for finding  your tires were overinflated.  My dealership has fixed air problems and replaced bulbs for nothing.  I have an extended warranty too.  They do get picky about some things.  

You would have had to grow up in the desert to get it.  While I love the greenery here, I hate all the rain, moss, debris from trees creating messes I need landscapers for.  Limbs down in wind storms.  Losing power.  Oh, and lack of sunshine.  Never needed lights in the daytime.  Snakes?  Heh heh  I never ran into any, but they are there.  

Definitely not looking forward to this heat wave for us.  I got out a really light shirt for at night and a fan.  Couldn’t tell by today.  I don’t think it’s hit 60;yet.

Wow, Dee.  No keeping you down with that kind of mileage!  You crazed woman about town!  🙂

• Like 1

They didn't charge me, they were going to when they thought it was a sensor.  They'd told me it covered everything but ordinary maintenance when they sold it to me, I didn't think a sensor going out should be ordinary maintenance like oil changes and brakes.  Esp. since the car was only 18,000 miles in four years!  I placed a call into them to clarify, they should call me back.

I stepped barefoot on a Coral snake in Phoenix, never went barefoot outside again!

3 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Wow, Dee.  No keeping you down with that kind of mileage!  You crazed woman about town!  🙂

Yeah Gwen:  Just proof what a sad life I live. LOL  Other than groceries, dog food, Maddie's treatments, my doctor appointments and occasional drug store visit I stay home.  All of these reasons to leave my house are within a few minutes from my house.  I am the world's most dedicated hermit.  Before my macular degeneration became an issue I would drive to my son's home an hour away to help with childcare when needed.  Now, if childcare is needed they bring the grand kids to me.  Hard to believe I used to drive to Seattle, Mt. Vernon, WA., and even Portland, OR. once upon a time.  Getting old, broken and alone is not for sissy's.  😁  Dee

• Like 3

You’re right, Kay.  A sensor, to me, is not ordinary maintenance.  That is oil changes, tire rotations and stuff like 30,000 mile checks.  I’ve never gone into a dealership service and said I need my sensor (or alternator water pump, etc) serviced.  I’ve got about 33,000 miles on my 2010 Escape.  Not even close to normal calculated driving.  

Dee, I also don’t do long drives anymore.  Going to Lynwood would be a major jaunt.  Used to a lot but the thrill is gone now that 'we' decide to get a new couch and all the big furniture stores are up there.  Sometimes, when we did matinees, the best time was up there.  I have a little larger radius than you, but not much.   Don’t like going out of it.  I put miles on for driving atound in it especially to escape daily from the house from this lovk down.  I’m a terrible hermit.  Got off a therapy televisit and went to Petsmart for dog food.  ANYTHING to get out of here for even an hour.  I’d do the walk thing, and I didn’t care for walks before.  They sound good now.if I could do it in massive pain without oxygen.  Kinda takes the fun out out of it.  Ah, to be free to walk out of here without all kinds of prep.  😷

• Like 3

I did check my warranty, it says 84 months, last I knew that was seven years.  I don't know why it's not in their system but I have a paper copy to prove it.  Will have to get to the bottom of it next time I go in for an oil change as they won't take care of it with my calling them, I tried.

I don't like to drive a long ways anymore either.  I think the farthest I've gone is Aloha (Portland area) to my sister's, or Aumsville (past Salem) to my son's.  Going to Springfield or Eugene is normal to me as that's where I go for groceries, doctors, shopping, etc.  But I always dread it, way too long a day!  I wonder what I'll do when I'm 80?  Can't worry about that.  Having Kodie makes me realize all the more I must try to live that long as he could take me potentially to 83 and I don't want him rehomed.  I'm very attached to him already, he's such a sweet little guy.  

It's pretty bad when the highlight of my week is counting $ (what little there is) at the church once a week!  I don't have interaction with people anymore.  :(

• Like 2

I made my first trip out into civilization today. Stopped at the dollar store for a few things on the way home from the dentist. Everything was normal except for the X's on the floor and a few people wearing masks. Washed my hands when I got home. Arizona is opening back up completely on Friday with safety precautions. Welcome to the New World. Anybody else coming off "lockdown" soon?

We are doing it in phases in Washington.  Stages 1 of 4, each lasting 3 weeks.  Each stage adds a few more businesses.  If we progress to phase 2 in 2 more weeks will depend how this one goes.  They are thinking of restaurants which I think is crazy.  People want hair dressers, sports and more access to parks.  We don’t have dentists yet and I need that for a chipped tooth.  Want to catch it before it goets worse and possibly painful.  

I’ve gotten so used to the changes in stores.  Hoping they go away and people will feel trusting again.  But that is so far off.  The predictions of a 2nd wave come the flu season is frightening.  And cause for more despair and mental stress.  Our numbers of infections and deaths are going back up despite we had finally leveled out.  So this proves it has to be done slowly.  I heard several states are opening and I sure hope it doesn’t cause a big setback.  I’ve noticed more traffic now that people are going to more work and needing to get out after so many weeks lovked up.  I dona drive every day for sanity.  Things don’t feel right tho.  Out there or in here.  

• Like 1

We seem to be opening up quickly, only a week or so between phases. Some "experts" say too quickly. We're still having multiple deaths in nursing homes and entire staffs testing positive. I will admit that I had second thoughts about going into a store and I think my son was nervous about it, but I figured "what the heck". I don't think anybody really knows how the virus is transmitted and you can't live in a bubble forever. I didn't linger and look around like I love to do in the dollar store. You never know what you'll find. I spent a few minutes looking through the reading glasses for a new pair, but everything else was "grab and go". Will just keep my fingers crossed, I guess.