Grief Healing Discussion Groups

loss of my pet dog

tony henry

i just had to put down by pet dog Cody of 14 years on Saturday not knowing this was about to happen as he seemed ok on Friday morning. I have been giving him his food twice daily for almost 14 years

and can still see his eyes looking at me as i prepare his food. We gave him home made food for the last 4 years. I spent most of my time with him since i only worked from 9.30 to 2.30 pm each weekday but the last two months i stopped working due to the corona virus and stayed at home most time with my dog. He was very affectionate towards me and my wife and we had to for most of his years kiss his nose when we got back from work each day. I have been sobbing and crying for the  last few days since he passed as grown up as I am. I feel an empty hollow feeling whenever i think about my dear Cody.  I do not know how long this will last but we are glad we had him as our companion especially me but I do miss him terribly.

I am aged 72 and my dog's age is 14 years

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am so sorry for your loss.  You and Cody had 14 years together and his passing is going to leave a hole in your heart.  It is such a blessing that he got to live such a long life.  The difficult part is because you've been together for 14 years it's going to hurt deeply.  You just know each other so well and understand each other needs intuitively.   I lost my dog two days ago and she was almost 14.  I am hurting just like you are.  How are you doing now?  Please tell me that it gets better.  Sending you cyber hugs.

• Like 1

I lost my Arlie 9 months ago tomorrow.  I didn't see how I could live without him.  I still miss him tremendously.  He was my soulmate in a dog, my perfect dog, I love him more than anything in the world, he was so beautiful, sweet, goofy, funny, smart!  He was my protector, a self-appointed guard dog.  No one can ever replace him.  He had Colitis so I cooked for him as the vet couldn't come up with anything that helped, he couldn't tolerate antibiotics or even the gastrointestinal dogfood they sold.  He was diagnosed with inoperable cancer and lived two months ten days after diagnosis.  My husband passed 15 years ago next month so Arlie was everything to me, I had him 11 1/2 years, got him when he was almost one.

It's the hardest thing in the world to try to get used to, everything is a reminder.  I have his leash and collar hanging by the door, his coat hanging on my chair, I hold it, it's the closest thing to holding him.  

I am sorry for both of your losses.  It helps to express yourself and know you're heard and understood as you are here.  I wrote of our cancer journey in Living With Loss (pet section) also stories of his life in Memories of Arlie (also here).  I lost 25 year old Kitty four months later.  I never dreamed our little family would be just me so soon.

It's actually healthy to let the tears flow...

Kayc, what you wrote is more helpful than you might know.  Jasmine was my soulmate too.  I didn't mention that everything reminds me of Jasmine.  She was with me every day and my little shadow.  Through the years we just kind of knew our routines -- how she gently woke me up by putting her paw on me with light pressure.  From the way I opened doors to folding laundry to watching TV -- we had a routine so all of these movements/routines trigger me.  It's interesting that you mentioned that because right now the most difficult part of losing Jasmine for me.    

You have gone through a lot of heart break.  I am so sorry.  Your Arlie filled a void for you --  our furbabies are sometimes our little therapists, aren't they?  Their unconditional love heals our hearts.   

I understand why people keep telling me that I need another dog because I keep telling them how much I enjoyed being with Jasmine but ... I don't think they understand just how much that was due to a special connection with her.  That doesn't just happen.  She had the perfect personality to go with mine.  Did you get another pet?  How are you doing 9 months later?  

It does help to talk and I thank you so much for the interaction.  I know I needed this.  I'll go search for your story now.  

• Like 1

I just posted a picture of Arlie and one of Kodie in the other thread.  Kodie is the dog my son brought me before Christmas and I don't know what I'd do without him in my life.  I wrote about that in the other thread too, how it came about, it was nothing short of a miracle.  Plus I walk my neighbor's dog, Joe, a chow that is deaf and going blind.

I think time has helped but I do still cry over Arlie.  I miss and love him so much and always will.  I feel such wistfulness in my heart...I look forward to the day we can be together again.  I feel he's too perfect a soul for God NOT to have him in heaven!  Besides all dogs deserve to go to heaven, they are the best creatures He made, IMO.

We had a lot of years in which we built memories, and with the love we shared, well, it's a lot to lose.  I've heard it said our grief equals the love we shared, and I see truth in that.  

Wishing you comfort in the time ahead.  You are not alone in how you're feeling.