Grief Healing Discussion Groups

New cat

Lara

Hello,

I lost my cat 3 months ago. He was my everything. I was very attached to him. I spent half my life with him. Yesterday, my mother announced me that she was taking a new cat. I don't know how to deal with that. I feel like it's replacing him. And it happened not a long time ago. I wanted her to wait. I don't want the new cat to take away the memories I have with MY cat. I know I will never love an animal as I loved him. But it is very difficult for me at the moment. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your loss.  It's very hard to get used to their not being here, they were such a big part of our everyday existence.  Getting another cat will not replace your other one, in no way!  I hate the name of this article for that very reason but I look beyond the title to the content and intent and it is a very good article...I think it was called that in response to the letter writer. 

A new pet will not take the place of your other one, but rather will create it's own space in your heart.  My Arlie was my soulmate in a dog, and I lost him in August, it was the hardest thing I've been through since losing my husband 15 years ago!  Just before Christmas my son brought me a puppy...he is not Arlie, but he has created a spot in my heart all of his own.  I will forever miss Arlie and no amount of dogs will ever change that, I love and grieve him.  I do not know what I'd do with this social isolation if it were not for Kodie, he gives me purpose, companionship, and keeps me super busy!  But still I shed my tears for Arlie...love for both of them can coexist at the same time.  Arlie will forever be my heart dog.

https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2013/01/replacing-pet-who-has-died-when-is-it.html
http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/end-life-support-grieving-dogs/new-pet-when-right-time

I fully believe we will be with them again...I hope you will get comfort from this video:

I agree with everything Kay has said to you, Lara, and I hope you will take her wise words to heart.

Might you consider finding some ways that you can memorialize your kitty? When my beloved Tibetan terrier Beringer died, I spent hours going through all the pictures I had taken of him over the 14 years he was in my life, and I ended up making framed collages and memory books that I later gave to my grandchildren. (There are places online for this; I happened to use Snapfish ~ and trust me, I am NOT a computer whiz ~ but even in my grief I was able to pull it off!) The memory book I kept for myself is one of my most treasured possessions. I also placed all of his "things" in a special wooden box (collar, tags, loose fur from grooming sessions, some of his baby teeth, etc.). And I have pictures of him on the bookshelves in my office. His darling face is the "wallpaper" on my computer screen. These are ways I keep him alive in my mind and in my heart. Whatever way you can think of to honor your kitty's memory is up to you ~ but I think it does help to ease the pain. (See also Memorializing Pets We Have Lost❤️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MartyT said:

His darling face is the "wallpaper" on my computer screen.

I have Arlie as my wallpaper too, the favorite day of his life, running in the snow with his dog friends!

• Like 1

I really appreciate a lot all of this advices. I will consider without a doubt making an album since I have over 1000 pictures of him. I am keeping everything and I don't want the new cat to use them. They will be for always his things. So I thank you one more time for all of your kind words and support that help me a lot!

• Like 2

I've always gotten my pets through the shelter. 

I never thought a new pet as a replacement. I always thought, "There's no reason for a cat to spend it's life in a shelter, when it could have a home with me. I can't give every cat a home, but I can give one a home."

• Like 2

And that is the best way to look at it, you are wise to do so!  

I wish you the best going forward, loss is the hardest price one can pay for loving.