Grief Healing Discussion Groups

15 Years Ago Today

I Haven't Left At All

I saw you gently weeping as you looked through photographs
You paused for just a moment at one that made you laugh;
But as you turned more pages the tears began to flow
You whispered that you missed me but I want you to know;
I softly licked those stinging tears that down your cheeks did fall
I want to help you understand I haven’t left at all.

On those days that you are overcome with sorrow, pain and grief
I rest my head upon your leg to offer some relief.
When you take our walking path I’ve seen you turn around
Because I know you surely heard my paws upon the ground. 

At night while you are sleeping, I snuggle at your side
You stroke my fur as you touch that place where I used to lie. 
You said it’s just your heart playing tricks upon your mind
But rest assured I’m really there, my spirit’s left behind. 

I know your heart is hurting; it’s like an open sore
You think my life has ended and you won’t see me anymore. 
But for those of us bound tight by love, death is not the curtain call; 
It’s really the eternal beginning that waits for us all
So, dear Master as you live your life I patiently await
For us to be together when you pass through Heaven’s gate. 

I ran across this today, I needed this more than you can know, today it's 15 years since my sweet husband died.  It seems a lifetime ago since he held me in his arms, since I was able to talk with him.  Sometimes it feels so far away like I dreamed him up.  I've read this poem before, it's a good reminder that he has never truly left...they live in our hearts.  I cry as I say this, but Arlie is starting to feel that way too, it's been so long since I've seen that beautiful smile spread across his face.  Since I've held him in my arms.  It almost feels like more than I can bear.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kayc said:

I ran across this today, I needed this more than you can know, today it's 15 years since my sweet husband died.  It seems a lifetime ago since he held me in his arms, since I was able to talk with him.  Sometimes it feels so far away like I dreamed him up.  I've read this poem before, it's a good reminder that he has never truly left...they live in our hearts.  I cry as I say this, but Arlie is starting to feel that way too, it's been so long since I've seen that beautiful smile spread across his face.  Since I've held him in my arms.  It almost feels like more than I can bear.

kayc:  Sorry to see today is a sad day for you.  The reminder of them never leaving us is comforting. 

My heart shares your pain as I read the poem.  The years that we face without our loved ones, husband and fur baby, doesn't seem real some days.  Life now is an unhappy dream.  Waking up every day alone with no other living being making a noise in the house,  no conversation, no routine anymore........... is more than anyone should have to bear.  Hugs, Dee

• Like 3

My heart goes out to you today, Kay.  We all know the sting of an anniversary that contradicts the definition we used to have of the word.  George and Arlie weren’t dreams.  They were dreams come true when we had them.  💖

• Like 3

Thinking of you today and sending a giant hug. It's odd and sad how our brain does that to us over time. A lot of the memories slowly fade away over time leaving you wondering if they really existed, although you know in your heart that they did.

• Like 4

On 6/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, Gwenivere said:

George and Arlie weren’t dreams.  They were dreams come true when we had them.  💖

Thank you for that, Gwen, perfectly stated!

I wasn't able to get back on here yesterday, had a day from hell...only good thing was it distracted me from it being George's death day.  I wrote about it in the venting thread.  Even though I wasn't able to read here until today, I was comforted by knowing these posts would be here...you guys are wonderful.  My heart family.

• Like 4