Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I loved calling up the crows with Billy.  They are so intelligent.  One time I saw them chase a bobcat across the road.  Billy had lots of crow calls and would talk to them.  He would give a distress call and the crows would all come as if to help a crow in distress.  They saw it was humans and I swear I could hear them cuss us out as they were flying away.  No guns.  

• Like 2

I really depend on the crows.  I hate to throw away food and they are always around to take it.  Have to wait til daytime or the rats get it.  Rats don’t really bother me like most people, but when they hang around they get into the car engine and that is not OK with me.  

• Like 1

Reminds me of a story my cousin told me.  There used to be many crows hanging out in the tree  by his house and he used to sort of watch them, call to them, or otherwise interact so they would regard him from above, and chatter back sometimes.  I believe he left food for them sometimes.  He has several cats, though, and one day during nice weather he let his cats out on the deck at the same time the crows were hanging out in the tree.  They all took flight, screaming, calling and making a great racket, as if saying "You tricked us!  Consorting with the enemy!" 

Apparently, they never came back.  They're no birdbrains!

• Like 1

When we lived in the mountains four years we walked to the end of the forest service road (which ran by our house) and in a grove were crow skeletons.  I don't know if it was where they came to die (Billy didn't know either), unless someone shot a bunch of crows and dumped them.  I think they think they are bothersome birds, but I think they are probably the most intelligent bird.  

Aggressive too!  Once there was a nest nearby and a baby fell out.  We didn’t know, but they started physically dive bombing us like in The Birds.  We literally could not go outside for an afternoon til they somehow retrieved it.  They would attack the dogs too.  This was a lot of them helping the parents.  They’ll bid for stuff like that but fight with each other over food scraps.  They definitely have a defined social structure.  With winter coming the seagulls will be moving inland.  The crows concede to them.  They’re bigger and really aggressive about food.  Screamers too when they find food.  I loved watching them all so much I’d find stuff to throw out!