Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Dealing with loss

@Sbo  I am so sorry!  I can imagine it's the hardest thing you've ever felt...perhaps you'll share some more with us when you are able...we will be here to listen and care.

• Like 1

I’m coping with the loss of my 18 year old son, too. He committed suicide last week. I woke up Thursday morning to three detectives at my door. Then I had to break the news to my 15 and 16 year olds and guide them into sharing information with these officers. Every day seems to be harder than the last. 

My eldest daughter lives four hours away and I called some family and asked them to help break it to her so that someone would be with her when she found out. They called her instead. I could have done that. I feel like everything I try, everything I do, I fail. 

I cry so much my eyes feel permanently swollen. I feel guilty when I have a good moment and guilty when I struggle. I keep wondering what I could have done differently to have kept this from happening. 

I feel like such a failure as a mother. I miss my son’s smile. 

Anyway, I just wanted you to know you are not alone. 

Melissa

• Like 1

Oh Melissa! I am so, so sorry to learn of this tragic loss, and my heart reaches out to you in your pain.

Please know that losing a loved one to suicide is one of the most difficult and challenging losses to endure, and so is losing a child to death.

You've been hit with a tsunami of grief, and you need and deserve all the support and understanding you can find.

We can point you to many resources to support and guide you, and I hope you will take advantage of them. See Grief Support for Survivors of Suicide Lossand take a look at all the related resources that are listed at the base of the article.

See also When An Adult Child Dies: Resources for Bereaved Parents  ♥️