Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My 19 year old Zadie girl cat - too soon?

Julie Moore

Yesterday, 8/7, my 19 year old Zadie girl cat was put to sleep.  I am feeling so much guilt because I'm concerned it was too early. She was really having a good day yesterday (and the day before), so seemingly still full of life, and even though the compassionate Vet told me (and counselors from "Lap of Love" said the same) "better one day too early than one second too late", I can't shake the thought of it being too soon and it's haunting me.  I know I can't change the past - my beloved Zadie went very peacefully and is buried just a few steps from my house - but just the fact that she was feeling so good on the day I chose to put her down is causing me to feel terrible guilt.   I made the decision to put her to sleep on Wed, 8/5, after she had two bad days, but couldn't get an appt at the Vet until Friday (8/7).   Some background: Zadie had spondylosis (painful wear and tear) at the base of her tail from an old, old injury that was just diagnosed a year ago, but she'd been affected by it for years.  Because of the injury, she would infrequently (perhaps once or twice a month) suffer from horrible "spells" when urinating or defecating that would send her into spasms for about 2 hours in which she had to get everything out of her system.  She was also arthritic and had very mild focal seizures. Recently, she had dilute blood weeping from one eye and some problem with her mouth even though she had a dental in February.  But she was still eating and drinking relatively well. Working with my Vet, since last December, she'd been on a steroid shot every four weeks, which would greatly help her spondylosis and arthritis and a few months ago, she even felt good enough to play like a kitten (oh, how that delighted me!).  But last month, her steroid shot only lasted for about 20 days or so before she was really having trouble walking without stumbling or obvious pain - her quality of life declined when the steroid "ran out".  Just two weeks ago, she had her last steroid shot and it would probably be wearing off in about a week (but I don't know that for sure).  While I know Zadie's time was coming due to her age and many infirmities, she was still eating, drinking, peeing and pooping and getting around, albeit with difficulty.  I'm trying hard to look at Zadie's last two (good) days as a gift from God because I took her outside (she's been indoors all her life) and she seemed to enjoy it so very much and I didn't have to panic to euthanize her because she was overtly suffering, but right now, all I can think about is how much I miss her and how guilty I feel for seemingly putting her down too early when she still had so much life.  I appreciate any feedback on how y'all handle the guilt of, "was it too soon??".  Thank you so much.

• Like 2

Second guessing our decision afterwards is very common/normal in grief.  We think, "I could have him/her with me still, if only..."  We go through all of the if onlys, trying to come up with a different possible outcome, but the only outcome truly is the one that happened.  You had very good reason for wanting to spare her more suffering...and it's also not uncommon for the animal to rally on "the day of," it makes me wonder if they don't sense it and it brings them peace.  My Arlie had cancer and had gone downhill greatly, suffering more as time went by.  Yet I managed to keep him eating with bribery & coaxing, and he still went for his walks with me, albeit shorter, and some days he didn't feel like it, just tried to please me.  His last day I made him an omelette which he scarfed down, and took him for a walk, all the other dogs were out standing at attention as we walked by...I truly believe they knew it was his last walk.  I don't know how they know these things, only that they do.

You did what any responsible and caring pet mom would do, and when she died, her suffering became your own.  Who of us wouldn't lay down our lives for our pets?  If only we could.  We can only do the next best thing and that is to give them peace and relief.  I truly believe we'll be together again.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf
http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml
https://www.griefhealingblog.com/2014/04/pet-loss-guilt-in-wake-of-euthanasia.htmlhttps://www.griefhealingblog.com/2014/04/pet-loss-guilt-in-wake-of-euthanasia.html
http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kayc, thanks so much for your insight and help.  Through my grief, God helped me just this morning to remember the hard times that Zadie had, especially in the last year. Yes, she had many, many good days, especially after starting the monthly steroid shots in December, but last month, it was obvious that the beneficial effect of the steroid was wearing off about halfway through the month.  My Vet said that the monthly steroid was essentially hospice for Zadie.  I am so grateful for the gift of her last two days being good days, where she was pampered (even more than usual!!) and while I still feel stinging regret for perhaps having her put to sleep too early, the Lord is showing me the stark reality that it was probably only a week or two early or maybe a month at best.  I miss her so terribly, but what a comfort it is to me that she is no longer struggling!  Thanks again for the links to more help and the memories of your precious Arlie.  I've attached a picture of my Zadie girl, whose tortitude was sweet and gentle.

ZadieGirl_smaller.jpg

• Like 3

She reminds me of my Kitty, who was 25, I lost her in January.  I'm glad you are beginning to realize that she was going through so much, it wasn't going away.  I wish, if anything, I'd have realized how truly sick Kitty was and had her put to sleep sooner, first sign anything was wrong was Christmas, but she seemed better for a couple of days, and then not, I had her euthanized 1/6.  I did not know her kidneys and liver were shut down, I was beginning to suspect kidneys.  We did give them good lives, and I'm glad I had my last night with her.
Having Kitty euthanized this morning - Loss of a Pet - Grief Healing Discussion Groups

• Like 1

KayC, Amen to giving them good lives.  Your Kitty was 25!  What an amazing lifespan. Thanks for sharing the link to the posting about Kitty - I totally see where she and my Zadie look alike.  I'm certain that Kitty knew you loved and cared for her despite her cantankerousness and I'm also glad that you had your last night with her where she was with you and purred.  Precious memories.  I loved how you gave her love in her later years after having been abandoned in a trailer court.  It's like when Jesus comes in and rescues us from our past when we trust in Him; He gives us unconditional Love.  You did that for Kitty!  Thanks again for helping me with my grief/regret over Zadie. She was one special girl. 😻

• Like 2

Thank YOU, I'm not sure anyone else read it, but she was one amazing cat and I totally understood her.  I'm glad I had those years with her.  Yes your analogy is very much like that!

Your Zadie is beautiful, they do have similar coloring, don't they!

• Like 1