Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Best Friend Katie

Robin

I just lost my best friend in all the world. Katie left me Jan,16 at 8:58 pm.

I had the honor of being the last voice and last one she saw on this earth. We had to put her down because the cancer in her liver had her in pain and was not letting her go.

I got Katie in 1993, she was three years old at the time. She had been abused and was very afraid of people but mostly men. My husband and I worked with her with love and more love. It took three years before she started feeling comfortable. She never left my side and we became very close. We did everything together. She started showing her age and slowed down and I knew I was looking at a short time left with her, I didn't realize just how short. She is gone now and it has been just a few days. I hurt so bad and there is a huge hole in my heart and I want her back but I know that will not happen. I can't stop crying and my husband tries but he is getting tired of it. I have never love'd so much like I did with my katie. I miss her so much.

Robin sad.gif

Robin,

I thought it might comfort you to know that my fiance and I are going through the same thing you are. We had to put our dog down this afternoon. He had advanced lung cancer and it was only a matter of time before he wouldn't be able to breathe anymore. I know that it was the right thing to do, but I just can't shake the feeling that we 'killed' him. It hurts so much. What's worse is that I don't know how to comfort my fiance. He is beside himself with grief. He adopted 'Diablo', our 11 year old rottweiler when he was just 3 years old. Despite his tough name, he was a doll. Diablo had been abused and my fiance adopted him from a last-chance rescue. They did obedience training, socialization, and every imaginable program to give him a good life. He was very loved. He loved us too. We feel like we let him down. There's a hole in our hearts. We've jsut about run out of tears. I guess I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

Becky

Robin,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Katie....

I know there are no words to say to you right now...It's a time where you will find your way to cope. Every person experiences loss differently, but there is no pain deeper than losing that one who was the closest to you in the world.

Katie is still with you, in a different form yes, but her spirit will always be a part of you because you two were too connected to be separated.

Take it day-to-day sweetie and don't let anyone tell you that you're crying too much or mourning too much...Katie understands that you need to feel right now, and that's all that matters.

Again, you and your sweet one are in my thoughts.

-Angie

Thank You Becky and Angie,

I find myself still looking for Katie in her corner or beside my bed. It feels so strange not having her around. I still hurt and trying to keep from showing it around my family. They looked at Katie as just a dog but to me she was my friend. She was there for me when I was down and would nudge my hands when I was up set or mad. She would look right into my eyes as if trying to tell me she love'd me. She was always with me everywhere I went. I miss her snezzing with me when I snezed. It was a game for us.

Becky, thank you so much and I understand too on what you and your husband are feeling, I'm with you in spirit too and you are not alone either.

Robin