Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Very anxious and nervous

GMS

So Sunday my cat Marble wouldn't eat and then Monday morning he didn't eat so I brought him to the vet yesterday. Most of the bloodwork was fine but his platelets were low and his globulin levels were off (I believe high). The vet said it could be a number of things but one thing he brought up was FIP which would be really bad. Unfortunately they have no easy way to test for FIP. He put Marble on steroids and antibiotics as well as an appetite stimulant. Starting last night he would every so often eat a little chicken or salmon that I gave him but wouldn't eat a lot and is not interested in his regular food.

My heart is sinking. I just lost my Mango two weeks ago and now this. I know I shouldn't expect the worst since they aren't sure what it is yet but the doctor did talk about FIP for a while which makes me think he suspects that could be the issue. I'll be devastated if he doesn't pull through this. He just had a checkup a month ago and did great. 

Gregg

• Like 1

Dearest Gregg, I immediately felt your anxiety and apprehension when I started to read your message. I mean I felt them as my own. My heart is with you. I'm really concerned about Marble and hoping that someone who knows about FIP might be able to give you some insight. Perhaps put "FIP" in your post title? I don't know anything about it but I will try to read something on it. 

Did the appetite stimulant help?

Please keep us updated.

Susan

• Like 1

https://pets.webmd.com/cats/cat-fip-feline-infectious-peritonitis#1

I am so sorry to hear of your cat's demise.  Try not to conclude the worst, I do hope the appetite stimulant helps.  If he continues drinking, even if not eating, that's important so he doesn't get dehydrated.  I'm so sorry you have this worry on top of your grief, so close together.  Do keep us posted!

I will be gone this weekend, beginning Thursday early morning so will not be here but you will be in my thoughts and prayers as I travel.:wub:

• Like 1

Thanks. He is eating better right now but I don't know if that's just the appetite stimulant or if he's actually feeling any better. I think he is a bit uncomfortable because he doesn't seem to be able to fall asleep. He goes back to the vet tomorrow for a recheck. The stress is going to kill me.

• Like 1

Count me in too, praying for little Marble...and you too!  I hope he starts feeling and sleeping better, I'm glad he's eating!

Thanks again everyone. Not too much to update. He's hanging in there and at least doesn't appear to be getting worse. I don't believe the vet is thinking FIP is too likely now but there is still a number of other things it could be. He's still on steroids and I started him on a new antibiotic today. The hope is one of those things helps. There is the possibility of getting types of cancer or other issues but so far nothing definitive. 

I haven't been sleeping well because he hasn't been sleeping well. Really hoping to see some improvement in the next day or two. Also trying to get in touch with the cancer doctor who is also a hematogist who treated my Mango to get his opinion.

The stressful part is that he doesn't seem to be and to sleep well. He takes some naps but he would usually be out like a light for hours so I figure he must be uncomfortable. 

• Like 2

I brought Marble to see the oncologist that treated Mango. He is a very good doctor. Anyway Marble almost definitely has pancreatitis. It's always possible that isn't the root cause, but right now that's what he saw on the ultrasound. He ran some more bloodwork so I'll find out in a few days how everything looks. There does seem to be some improvement today and he does seem to be sleeping better so I'm not a nervous wreck like I was before and should be able to sleep tonight myself.

On a more somber note I picked up my Mango's ashes today when I was at the animal hospital. Definitely brought some tears to my face, but in my heart I know he is not suffering anymore. I was talking to a woman I'm somewhat friendly with at work today and mentioned my cat passed away. She gave her condolences and mentioned her daughter passed away several months ago which I did not know. I miss my Mango every day, but conversations like that tend to put things in perspective as well. I can't imagine the grief she is going through and yet somehow we all must pull through and carry on. It's a crazy world I often do not understand. I often wish I was spiritual like some people I speak with and believed in an afterlife. 

• Like 3

Gregg I’m glad you were able to bring Marble to see the same oncologist and that he is sleeping better. I hope you were able to rest, as well. You also have Mango home. That is very good. I still have a paw print waiting at the Vet that I can’t get myself to go pick up. They told me to take my time, they will keep it safe. I wonder if I will ever have the strength to go get it.

I recently made a new friend that told me about her pet that died last year, in a very tragic way. I tried to use that to gain perspective, as well. After that tragedy, she also had to have brain surgery and in midst of recovery, her Father passed away in a tragic way. Yet, she still keeps going! It reminded me life can be difficult and always comes with some heartache, yet we look for the joy and keep going forward. Like you said, we find a way to pull through and carry on. Our fur babies bring us joy and we make their lives better by giving them a home and love, and they bring us love. 

Please continue to keep us updated. How is Leon, has he made himself at home?

Susan

• Like 1

Thanks Gracie. Yes they gave me a paw print with the ashes. I encourage you to pick it up. Will it make you cry? Probably. I certainly did. But at the same time I think you will cherish having a little reminder down the road and maybe even bring some closure. Everyone heals at their own pace.

Leon is a really nice cat. He loves to play. I was running around the house the other day with him playing hide and go seek. What impressed me even when I picked him was how he didn't mind being picked up. He really really wants Marble to play with him. Hopefully Marble gets better soon and can enjoy his little brother.

• Like 1

Thank you Gregg. I was thinking that it will be wrapped up, most likely, and I will wait until I’m home and take it out. Touch the impression and cry. But maybe after time, it will be a sweet momento for me. I will pick it up.

How fun that Leon likes to play! I’m so happy he doesn’t mind being picked up! That’s wonderful. I have been thinking about either getting another pet, eventually, or maybe first, volunteering for a wildlife rescue in my area. I know I need to be around animals. I need to give them love and pet them! I can’t volunteer yet, due to the pandemic. 

I hope that Marble will get better really soon. You have a beautiful family.

• Like 1

GMS, II'm glad you got him in and hope for some relief for him soon.  I echo what Gracie4ever as already said.

I've been gone a few days and came home to the news that my BIL's cancer metathesized and he's not expected to live out the week, so I took my sister in to see him today which is a long trip (she doesn't drive).  Someone mentioned in another thread about picking yourself up and continuing, finding joy where you can, that is what I've had to do in the years since my husband passed, but losing my Arlie and then Kitty has been hard on me, we were a family...

• Like 2

Tomorrow will be day 5 at the Hospice house and I am taking her in again to see him, she wanted to rest today, she's exhausted, not sleeping.  I tried to get her to call her doctor for sleeping pills but she's stubborn.  Trying to get her a medic alert button, that's definitely a necessity!

She can be but I love her immensely and we're extremely close!  I don't know what I'll do when she goes, we talk every day on the phone, we tell each other everything.  She's very caring, she just doesn't take care of herself. ;)  And of course she has her addictions, which cost me having that last conversation with George before he died as she refused to bring me to him in the hospital because she wanted to stay and gamble (which I don't do, never have).  :(

• Like 1