Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Miss My Best Friend, My Dog

drg50

I miss my dog so much today. I was laying in bed this morning, and I closed my eyes, and I swear I heard her barking at me, telling me to get up ! I opened my eyes, and she still wasn't here. She has been gone for 1 month and one day, today. I thought it would get better with time, but I just miss her more. She passed at the age of 14 years. I had her since she was 5 weeks old. We were together always.

Does it ever get better? We just got a new cat about 6 weeks ago. She is nice and comforting, but she is not like my dog, Kelly. My only hope is that she will stay true to our promise, and that she will be waiting for me when it is mine time to pass over. Does any one else belive that, or am I just trying to hang on to something? I miss her so much......... :(

post-1547-1151777169_thumb.jpg

My dear friend,

We are so very sorry to learn of the death of your beloved Kelly. Thank you for including a picture of her, so we all can see what a beauty she is!

You said, My only hope is that she will stay true to our promise, and that she will be waiting for me when it is mine time to pass over. Does any one else belive that, or am I just trying to hang on to something?

I think you will find that here, in this special, caring place, you are among many, many animal lovers who believe as you do, that our precious animal companions will be waiting for us, just on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

See also, Where Do We Go from Here?

Wishing you peace and healing,

Marty T

Dear Marty,

Thank you so VERY much for the link to such a beautiful and eloquent poem about animals and their souls. This was just what I needed to restore my faith in at least some human beings, after having just recently been told that my belief in immortal souls for animals was not the truth, according to the Bible and this person's church's teachings. While I do not buy into that grim belief, I didn't appreciate being told that their belief was fact, while mine was, in so many words, nothing more than passing fancy or mere desire. It's so comforting to know that there are others who echo what my own soul feels deeply, in particular these 2 sections:

Otherwise, it seems like such a terrible waste

for such a wonderful creature to have been formed,

one who so loved Creation

and with so much joy

and who understood its purpose

so much better than I,

And if there is someone who thinks

that only humans have souls,

shame on you.

God laughs at your pride.

The egoistic arrogance of some religions truly astounds me, and has often severely hurt me. Have humans not the common sense to use their God-given senses to see what's clearly right in front of them?

Thank you so much for offering such kind words and understanding. It really once again helps strengthen my belief about God and life. It is only logical to belive that our souls, whether it be human or animal continue on our eternal journey. When I was a child, we had many pets growing up. And out of them there was one special that stood out more than the others. And this time it was the same. As an adult I have had many pets, and this last one, seemed to have a special soul. So I have no choice but to belive I will see her again. And hopefully, when and if the time comes to bring another dog into our live's, she will be there to guide us and to help us with getting the right and perfect pet for where we are in our lives now.

Thank you for this site.

post-1547-1151875051_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hi drg50,

I am very sorry for your lost, I know it feels horrible right now and it will take time to get over it and you will get over it. I have a yellow lab and her name is Chelsea and eventhough is has not died it is like she has because I raised her since she was five weeks and due to the deaths of my parents where her and I lived we had to leave and relocate. I could not bring her to my new location so I gave her to my brother. I have gone from not seeing everyday to seeing her twice a month if I see her that often. I know if it was me in your spot I would probably die because I know how much I would have loved Kelly. People who do not have pets do not really understand the love between a pet and their owner. I know your pet was probably a big part of your family so that is probably why it endlessly hurts. Please remember that Kelly is probably looking down at you and thanking you for all you did for her. God bless you and I will pray for you and Kelly and do take care Shelley